Martyn Waghorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oustanding partnership, but one team once in ten years suggests that two amazing midget strikers in one team are hard to come by!

Robbie Keane (5' 9") and Jermain Defoe (5' 6") scored 25 goals between them in the 05/06 season and 21 in the 06/07 - a good return for a striking partnership in the prem.

Also, the partnership of Gianfranco Zola (5' 5") and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (5' 10") scored 33 goals between them in the 02/03 season.

I can keep going with these!

Don't want to be negative but why get rid of Kee on loan and then bring some one in who is almost alike? Kee has been scoring goals for fun this pre-season. Just seems pointless.

Don't want to be negative but why get rid of Kee on loan and then bring some one in who is almost alike? Kee has been scoring goals for fun this pre-season. Just seems pointless.

Kee has only scored against crap teams, he's not had any league experience and is younger than Waghorn.

Kee's loan is only for 6 months, so presumably NP thinks Waghorn is a better player at the moment, but Kee may play a part later in the season.

Kee has only scored against crap teams, he's not had any league experience and is younger than Waghorn.

Kee's loan is only for 6 months, so presumably NP thinks Waghorn is a better player at the moment, but Kee may play a part later in the season.

But how is he going to be able to prove himself if he doesn't get the chance?

But how is he going to be able to prove himself if he doesn't get the chance?

Because he's never played any first team competative football, he can prove himself and gain experience in a lower league. Playing him at a championship standard wouldn't do him much good at all.

Last edited:
Robbie Keane (5' 9") and Jermain Defoe (5' 6") scored 25 goals between them in the 05/06 season and 21 in the 06/07 - a good return for a striking partnership in the prem.

I don't think Keane and Defoe work as a partnership at all, personally.

Rooney and Tevez worked quite well together, neither as a targetman.

Bergkamp and Henry? Plenty of others... there aren't actually that many teams in the Premiership now that DO play with the big man/little man combination of old I don't think...

Anyway, don't know too much about Waghorn, but what I've read sounds good, so get him in. Good stuff.

Still like to see another striker come in though as well.... Preferably a targetman, but just someone good if not. Still don't see Dickov as a viable option, and if DJ isn't going to play for us then signing Waghorn would still leave us with just 3 real striking options. However... think one is all we will get... for now at least.

People often forget that a "target man" doesn't have to be 6'4". "Big" Les Ferdinand? 5'11"

Anyone of any height can play as a target man, as long as they have the ability to win the ball, hold it up and lay it off.

People often forget that a "target man" doesn't have to be 6'4". "Big" Les Ferdinand? 5'11"

Anyone of any height can play as a target man, as long as they have the ability to win the ball, hold it up and lay it off.

And are good in the air and usually a smaller player isn't to be honest.

I don't think Keane and Defoe work as a partnership at all, personally.

Rooney and Tevez worked quite well together, neither as a targetman.

Bergkamp and Henry? Plenty of others... there aren't actually that many teams in the Premiership now that DO play with the big man/little man combination of old I don't think...

Anyway, don't know too much about Waghorn, but what I've read sounds good, so get him in. Good stuff.

I can see what you mean about Defoe and Keane, but when they were both sold Spurs suffered badly and when 'Arry Redknapp bought them both back, the side improved. It's a bit of a simplification, but I think although they're not an especially prolific partnership, the team seems to do well when they play together.

I was just trying to prove that there have been a few 'little man' strike partnerships that have been successful and that having a target man isn't the 'be all and end all', contrary to what some people on here believe.

Name a target man smaller than 6ft though mate ?

A target man can recieve the ball to his feet or chest etc, it's not always in the air you know.

I'm fairly sure Dickov has served as a 'target man' at times, similarly Steve Claridge and Ian Marshall have served as target men, the latter might have exceeded six foot but I'm not sure about Claridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566