Mary Elizabeth Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not especially impressed by the responses! I hope your survey is not representative.

I must preface my interpretation with the fact that I cannot stand Johnson. I despise everything he's about and everything he stands for as a person.

However, there are clear and obvious things that people may well like about him.

He's probably the most experienced politician in parliament. Eight years as Mayor of London, three as PM, a couple as Foreign Secretary, and so on. He's been there through crisis situations and he always projects a positive attitude talking up his country. He talks himself, his party and his country up at every opportunity. However you want to interpret this, it works.

His image is very well thought through. It's not an accident that he looks dishevelled all the time. He deliberately disarms people with his off hand and off colour comments. He knows that many people find this appealing. He is more real to them than someone like Starmer or Sunak who come across as cardboard cut outs. He loses a percentage of the population because of all this but he gains more than he loses and he knows it. Most politicians are incredibly unlikeable people with their inability to say or do anything other than the 'party line'. It's boring and obviously false. Johnson bypasses all this. It must be infuriating to work alongside but he doesn't care and people respond to it. This is why people don't really care about his mistakes or misdemeanors.

Like it or not, the fact that he was close to death early in the pandemic made a huge difference to many people. Whatever you thought about him, he put himself out there answering questions and sharing information day in, day out.

I'm sure there is plenty more but these sort of things make me understand Johnson supporters better. They're not necessarily thick wankers. They just have a different set of values and requirements of a leader than we do.
I'd more or less agree with that as an analysis.

Where we differ is in the interpretation of whether or not falling for all that bollocks makes you a think wanker or not. I'd maintain that it does. Although gullible fool would be the exact phrase.

Boris is out of the running

Another complete humiliation to add to his record

Boris is out of the running

Another complete humiliation to add to his record
Yep, fewer than sixty mps backed him publically. Even though his supporters said he definitely, really had 102...

Shambles. And Mordaunt might as well step aside now. I don't think there's any way she can attract enough support. It would also be the decent thing to do. So she probably wont do it.

Yep, fewer than sixty mps backed him publically. Even though his supporters said he definitely, really had 102...

Shambles. And Mordaunt might as well step aside now. I don't think there's any way she can attract enough support. It would also be the decent thing to do. So she probably wont do it.
Are you sure you can’t believe staunch conservative members are just about racist enough not to pick Rishi?

After bleating about unity and bringing people together they all act like a bunch of childish ****s yet again this weekend. Expect lots of backtracking and gaslighting about who did or didn’t want Johnson back.

‘I have 100 backers but they go to a different school’

****. Also the media needs to stop saying ‘Boris pulled out’ because a) he didn’t, nowt to do with decency or what’s best for the country. He didn’t have to backers. And b) it conjures images of him… you know. Pulling out. Which he obviously doesn’t because the **** has dozens of kids.

After bleating about unity and bringing people together they all act like a bunch of childish ****s yet again this weekend. Expect lots of backtracking and gaslighting about who did or didn’t want Johnson back.

‘I have 100 backers but they go to a different school’

****. Also the media needs to stop saying ‘Boris pulled out’ because a) he didn’t, nowt to do with decency or what’s best for the country. He didn’t have to backers. And b) it conjures images of him… you know. Pulling out. Which he obviously doesn’t because the **** has dozens of kids.
The Nadhim Zahawi U-turn was really quite spectacular.

I heard some MP from Yeovil on the radio earlier talking about how he wants ‘Penny’ to be PM because she’ll ‘unite the party’ before refusing to say whether he’d support Sunak when he inevitably becomes leader.

Sunak will have no choice but to go cap in hand to the EU looking for trade deals, further alienating the Brexit ****s and that might finally trigger the end of this miserable shitshow.

Sunak will have no choice but to go cap in hand to the EU looking for trade deals, further alienating the Brexit ****s and that might finally trigger the end of this miserable shitshow.

If they really interested in growth... then they could start with the customs' union

A vote to rejoin the single market would be interesting, but I doubt they'd go for it, too many anti-growth ERG types

A labour majority would mean a single market vote would get in, lifting growth and solving NI borders...but then you have more immigration

Immigration is of course terrible, unless we want cheaper crop pickers, more NHS workers, cheaper lorry drivers, more hospitality workers

If they really interested in growth... then they could start with the customs' union

A vote to rejoin the single market would be interesting, but I doubt they'd go for it, too many anti-growth ERG types

A labour majority would mean a single market vote would get in, lifting growth and solving NI borders...but then you have more immigration

Immigration is of course terrible, unless we want cheaper crop pickers, more NHS workers, cheaper lorry drivers, more hospitality workers
Wasn’t there a story last week about the shortfall in staff numbers in the NHS, care homes etc being the same number as the population of Newcastle?

The frustrating thing is that there’s probably no telling what Putin would make of a move like that I guess.

Wasn’t there a story last week about the shortfall in staff numbers in the NHS, care homes etc being the same number as the population of Newcastle?

The frustrating thing is that there’s probably no telling what Putin would make of a move like that I guess.

Any vox pops that asks "do you want more or less immigration?" gets the answer "less"

Follow that up with: "which of these industries should have less staff: NHS, Retail, Farming etc" then suddenly people have to actually think

Same goes for...."do you want more or less taxes?"

Ok, so what do you wanna cut? Defense? The war in Ukraine? the NHS? Pensions? Fuel bill aid?

Any vox pops that asks "do you want more or less immigration?" gets the answer "less"

Follow that up with: "which of these industries should have less staff: NHS, Retail, Farming etc" then suddenly people have to actually think

Same goes for...."do you want more or less taxes?"

Ok, so what do you wanna cut? Defense? The war in Ukraine? the NHS? Pensions? Fuel bill aid?
Do you still make the effort with people? :042:

I met a charming driver at work the other week who thought the traffic on the M1 had more to do with immigrants than the car on fire at J23.

It’s the sort of thing you hear so often I just tune it out now, bit like someone with a Luffbra accent claiming to be a massive Liverpool fan.

I met a charming driver at work the other week who thought the traffic on the M1 had more to do with immigrants than the car on fire at J23.
they walk amongst us

I bet it was a foreign car though. French or German most likely. They come over here by the boatload.
It doesn't matter how often Farage has his photo taken pointing angrily at the sea, they keep coming. Maybe he should stand in the middle of the M20 instead.

I bet it was a foreign car though. French or German most likely. They come over here by the boatload.
It doesn't matter how often Farage has his photo taken pointing angrily at the sea, they keep coming. Maybe he should stand in the middle of the M20 instead.
It was a great a big lorry full of foreign wood that I’m going to make into floors for posh liberal lefty podcast types in North London.

Norma Snockers has dropped out

Step forward the man for the common people, Rishi Sunak

We’ll have to wait at least two more years for our first Prime Milfster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263