Matt Jones - Does he have anything to offer?

Matt Jones - Does he have anything to offer?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Curtis played for Man Yoo a few times - Does that make him a good player? No. Just because Fergie was interested in him, doesn't mean you should think he's some sort of talent. Leeds fans didn't think he was that impressive. He wasn't even a regular in the team. He didn't play that much for them and most of his appearances were off the bench.

What do you think Jones' best qualities are?

John Curtis is an average player, but if I rightly remember he has never been touted as a quality player. Jones had alot of hype about him turning out to be a shit hot player, there was an article in the paper when he had first come on the scene at Leeds and they were flying at the time. They said he was one of the hottest prospects and he had been playing remarkably well for Leeds. I can't srgue with that and nobody else can, we don't know how good he was at Leeds as we didn't watch them week in week out when he played for them so anyone who says he was crap at Leeds is a fcukin liar! I saw him on a few occassions and he looked a tidy player, a player that should be invaluable to a team like Leicester. Things haven't turned out that well for him since he signed for us, but that's football often players have a mare at certain clubs and go on to fulfill their potential.

I think Jones does have something to offer us if he was fully fit and given a chance, everybody is being unfair saying he is completely crap because he's clearly not. He's just been injured and the fact he's milking alot of money whilst he's injured is obviously rubbin your wick the wrong way. As someone said before, Thatcher had a shocking time at Spurs but has come here and is doing the business. Piper is having an absymal time at Sunderland, because of injuries and because they have been relegated and thats exactly the same situation Jones has been in. When Jones has played for us within the last 18 months it's been in a team that's been shaken through relegation and administration, just like Piper is doing at Sunderland. But not one of you would say Piper is a crap player, you'd all have his babies if it was genetically possible. So shut up turd burglers, and if Jones ever does get another chance get behind him!!

Jones qualities - Although he seems to be quite injury prone, he has alot of stamina from what I have seen in the games he has played.
Defensively I think he is very good, some of you say he has made some wreckless challenges but he isn't scared of making a challenge and getting stuck in. He is extremely good at defending corners, he always stands on the post and I have seen him for both Leeds and Leicester clear some goal bound efforts!!

Passing wise I think this is his main weakness, and considering he is a midfielder it's obviously very frustrating. If you watch Jones in a pre-match warm up he has loads and loads of tricks and skills, which don't mean alot but it shows technically and naturally he is a sound player. He always tries to go that one bit further in matches and can get caught, abit like Joe Cole does but he is obviously alot better than Jones. I think if Jones can stay injury free and is given a chance to shine and get a rythm in his game going he could be a useful player. Better than Lilian Nalis, McKinlay, etc!! You can teach a player to pass a ball, you can't teach a player something he's not capable of doing and it's clear Jones can learn and strengthen his weaknesses.

His shooting is woeful too, but most of our players have bother shooting!!

Look lads we have wankers like Impey and Rogers who get a look-in on the first team and they have never shown any signs of making the grade as a footballer, but you still brown nose them so ease of Matty abit.

Good points Malf, good post. Maybe Jones could have one more chance. What is the current situation with him anyway?

Good points Malf, good post. Maybe Jones could have one more chance. What is the current situation with him anyway?

He's injured for a considerable amount of time and I believe his contract is up at the end of the season so chances are he won't ever play for us again. Which I think is a shame as he's still only 23-24ish and I honestly believe he will fulfill his potential, but it will be at another club as we won't give him the chance.

Good look Jonesy, spare a thought for me coz the bird your shagging who i'm friendly with is the girl that I was soooooo close to shagging but I got tooooo pissed and woke up without the fine lady. BASTARD!!!!

Malf said:
Look lads we have wankers like Impey and Rogers who get a look-in on the first team and they have never shown any signs of making the grade as a footballer, but you still brown nose them so ease of Matty abit.

Agree about Rogers but not about Impey. We take Rogers out of the back four and replace Curtis with Impey and all of a sudden we stop shipping goals. Give Impey a break. :? :wink:

I've given Impey a break if you have noticed and I think he is playing average. The chap has been crap for over 10 years of his career now and he is playing out of position at present but i'll let it ride as he isn't doing much wrong, but that won't last for long. He was woeful against Blackburn, so he's only played well against Man City which I didn't go to but i'm happy to announce his performance was commendable.

He is still inconsistent and has been much poorer than Matt Jones in his career, so I think I have a right to say wankers like Rogers and Impey get a chance to play time after time in our starting line-up.

Brudder.

If he was such a top propsect at Leeds, why did they let him go? Surely if this lad had this natural talent you say he has, Leeds would of kept him and developed him. O'Leary could see he was never going to be a regular at Leeds because he wasn't good enough.

We all have our opinions on this, which is good because it would be boring if we all agreed. But IMO I don't think Jones is good enough - especially for the premiership. He's too much of a flash player who tries the impossible with his passing and tackling. You agree that his passing is woeful - Surely that is one of the main attributes of a midfield player....espeicially in the PREMIERSHIP! :shock:

As for Andy Impey - He's a damn sight better than Rogers........

If he was such a top propsect at Leeds, why did they let him go? Surely if this lad had this natural talent you say he has, Leeds would of kept him and developed him. O'Leary could see he was never going to be a regular at Leeds because he wasn't good enough.

We all have our opinions on this, which is good because it would be boring if we all agreed. But IMO I don't think Jones is good enough - especially for the premiership. He's too much of a flash player who tries the impossible with his passing and tackling. You agree that his passing is woeful - Surely that is one of the main attributes of a midfield player....espeicially in the PREMIERSHIP!

As for Andy Impey - He's a damn sight better than Rogers........

Scowcroft some of your views baffle me, you have some very good points but you contradict yourself because often what you say about one player i.e their weaknesses, etc you will then stick up for another player who's even crapper or just as crap as the player in question. I know it's everyone's opinion, but you can't argue that some players have mares at some clubs and still go on to become class players.

Matthew Upson was let go by Arsenal and look at him now, some managers don't get the best out of a player and they then get a new lease of life! Jones has been dogged with injuries and in his games he has played for us he has been incosistent, but alot of our current players have been crapper than he has been for us!

As for O'Leary keeping him if he was good enough is not entirely true anyway, Leeds were flying at the time and to command a regular place at his age back then would have been rather difficult as they were in the top 3 clubs in england at the time. He wanted first team regular football and was offered that with us or Blackburn and he chose us. Leeds couldn't really refuse it, Man Utd wanted him along time before we signed him so I agree that just coz Man Utd were linked with a player doesn't automatically deem them as a good player. Look a Masimo Taibi or Forlan for players that have signed for them wankers and been extremely shit.

Jones will do alright in football, but it won't be with us it's as simple as that.

Scowcroft some of your views baffle me, you have some very good points but you contradict yourself because often what you say about one player i.e their weaknesses, etc you will then stick up for another player who's even crapper or just as crap as the player in question. I know it's everyone's opinion, but you can't argue that some players have mares at some clubs and still go on to become class players.

Just because I have stuck up for Andy Impey, it doesn't mean I'm contradicting myself. Andy Impey has played for us for a long time now and has done an effective job for us. Of course Andy Impey has his weaknesses, but he is a player who offers us alot in terms of versatility. Matt Jones on the otherhand, ok he has been injured, but even when fit he doesn't look like the type of player who will be effective for us. Matt Jones will probably go on to do well for another club - In division 1 most likely. I just don't think he's good enough for the Premiership.

Andy Impey is about as versatile as a tortoise, he's been consistently poor in every position he has ever played.

Malf said:
Andy Impey is about as versatile as a tortoise, he's been consistently poor in every position he has ever played.

That is you're opinion. My opinion is that he still has alot to offer.

Surely if he was that bad, Micky wouldn't play him?

I ask myself that question too, I think the main reason I don't rate him is because under O'Neill and Taylor he didn't seem like he was committed to Leicester with some of his performances, especially under O'Neill at times he went to sleep. He kept getting picked, which isn't his fault, but what some managers must think is beyond me. His throwing ability is disgraceful, he just throws it anywhere with no convistion or thought process going in to it. O'Neill highlighted this disability he has, but Impey still proceeded to take every throwing on the right side, fcuk off.

Scowcroft said:
I never noticed his throw in's before - I will watch out it for vs Charlton.

Those throw in's are brilliant!

ScarboroughFox said:
Scowcroft said:
Joe_Fox said:
Scowcroft said:
I never noticed his throw in's before - I will watch out it for vs Charlton.

Those throw in's are brilliant!

Like the guy who used to play for Tranmere? :wink:

Challinor?

hasnt he got the longest throw ever recorded?

Something like that - He used that weapon quite a few times in the Wortho cup final in 2000. Andy Impey rivals him though...... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263