Matt Jones to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

Bad news for Matt, but maybe this is good news for Leicester. With him off the wage bill we could get a couple of decent players.

Wales star Matt is forced to quit
May 30 2004
Andy Rose, Wales on Sunday

WELSH international Matthew Jones will finally admit defeat this week and call time on his injury-ravaged career.

The £3m midfielder has been fighting a losing battle ever since rupturing cruciate ligaments in his right knee in January 2001.

Following 12 months of painful rehabilitation, Llanelli-born Jones injured an ankle before dislocating a disc in his back at the start of last season.

Despite surgery, he has now been forced to accept his playing career which promised so much is over at the age of 23.

He will hold a press conference at Leicester City on Wednesday to formally announce his decision.

Last night, Wales boss Mark Hughes paid tribute to Jones and said: "It's a real shame.

"He was a player of great potential and a very proud Welsh international.

"I know how he hard he tried to get back, but it wasn't to be so we are all desperately disappointed for him.

"If I can help him make the transition to the next part of his life I will.

"Given his character, I'm sure Matt will make a success of whatever he does next."

The ex-Leeds and Leicester star and former Young Welsh Player of the Year won the last of his 13 Welsh caps in a 2-0 defeat to the United States last summer - a game in which he was sent off.

webmaster said:
Bad news for Matt, but maybe this is good news for Leicester. With him off the wage bill we could get a couple of decent players.

True and would we be able to claim from some form of insurance I wonder due to consequential loss (having to get a replacement) and unamortised transfer fees :?: :wink:

He may not have been my favourite player, but I would not wish this sort of retirement on him. Good luck Matt in all your future ventures.

Steven said:
webmaster said:

True and would we be able to claim from some form of insurance I wonder due to consequential loss (having to get a replacement) and unamortised transfer fees :?: :wink:

I'm pretty sure LCFC don't have Jones insured in this way, I think it's something Dave Bassett said when he did a Q&A session at the Foxes Trust AGM. Insuring players like this is very expensive, and is something we couldn't afford after going into administration.

But Jones will probably have his own insurance.

LCFC = Penny wise, pound foolish :?:

Steven said:
LCFC = Penny wise, pound foolish :?:

Maybe that would be true if the insurance only cost pennies!

As with all kinds of insurance, it's a gamble whether you take it out or not.

Jones is the first Leicester player for years to retire while he's been in contract (Eadie and Flowers waited for their contract to finish), so over the last few years the insurance would probably have cost a lot more than we'd got back from it.

webmaster said:

WELSH international Matthew Jones will finally admit defeat this week and call time on his injury-ravaged career.

The £3m midfielder has been fighting a losing battle ever since rupturing cruciate ligaments in his right knee in January 2001.

Following 12 months of painful rehabilitation, Llanelli-born Jones injured an ankle before dislocating a disc in his back at the start of last season.

Despite surgery, he has now been forced to accept his playing career which promised so much is over at the age of 23.

He will hold a press conference at Leicester City on Wednesday to formally announce his decision.

(quote)

He must be worth something in return for his donation to medical science.

When he first came I really did think he was a prospect, and he was one of my favorite players, then he got injured and I ain't seen to much of him since.

Bad luck Matty!

-Another player lost, Another player of the wage bill.

:roll: - Will we actually have any players left at the end of the summer?

m~james said:
:roll: - Will we actually have any players left at the end of the summer?

no

good luck running a pub matt!

Its a shame for him because it sounded like he really wanted to return for the Foxes but It wasn't to be!

Hopefully he will hagve a good career ahead of hgim in whatever he does!!

I'm surprised he's actually decided to retire - I thought he would at least see out his contract, so credit to him for actually admitting defeat, and saving us money in the process.

Most of you know I'm not a great fan of Jones, but I commend him for the decision he's taken.

Good luck to him.

Its amazing when you look at what he cost, 3.5 million for a Leeds Ressie, who played about a handful of games for us, Taylor needs bloody shooting.

rotherhamfox said:
Its amazing when you look at what he cost, 3.5 million for a Leeds Ressie, who played about a handful of games for us, Taylor needs bloody shooting.

Not to forget his 15k plus wages a week.

I wouldn't shoot Taylor - I would ensure that he had a long painful death.

Scowcroft said:
I would ensure that he had a long painful death.
a long painful life would be worse, wouldn't it?
:wink:

Feel a bit sad for poor Matt Jones! He was a prospect - just not worth 3.5 million. After that game where he gave away that goal and then got injured he never really had a chance to get back and when I saw him at the players do a few weeks back he said his recovery was coming along "steady eddie" i was awaiting his return.

on the bright side of things with him off the wage bill thats easily 2 free transers' wages.

MKFox said:
Scowcroft said:
I would ensure that he had a long painful death.
a long painful life would be worse, wouldn't it?
:wink:

He lives in Hull....Need anyone say more?

Fox Fan said:
on the bright side of things with him off the wage bill thats easily 2 free transers' wages.

Can't assume that, bet the PFA have got some clause inserted in players contracts giving them X weeks wages based on retirement through injury.

Although the PFA don't seem hard enough on their members normally, inserting something like this you could understand especially in the case of a player who has never made the top level & not received the level of pay that Matty was on.

I hope he returns in years or somin and becomes the new Izzet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757