Maybe We Could Do A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

weluvulesta

Maybe we could do a Watford! They don't call it a Watford, but look at them last season compared to now. They finished 18th last season - lower than what we have finished this season. Now they are in the play-offs. They had a young promising manager appointed in March 2005, and we hopefully have a relatively young, promising manager, appointed permanently on April14th, 2006. Hopefully, we will have a similar route next season. Although it will be hard with the lack of funds and no more parachute payments.
Your veiws?

I think we will do very well to reach the play offs next Season but I'll wait to see what the close season brings in terms of departures and additions.We still seem along long way from being a real force in this League.I'm hoping for the best though...

Who tipped Watford this season? Well, quite a few people tipped them, but for relegation.

We've got as good a chance as anybody. If RK turns out to be a decent enough manager, then we could and should be up there somewhere. Is our current squad any better/worse than Watford's in terms of quality, or Preston's? A good manager and a motivated team are all you need to get in the play-offs, it seems...

Hopefully we can keep most of the squad together and finish comfortably in the top half. Rob seems to like what he's got at the moment and will only improve on that if he can. Feeling optimistic for the team.

Imo next season will be like what many thought this season would be. Mild optimism with a chance of the play-offs. I'm not sure the city faithful were expecting us to decline further once the season started. But the club as improved from a year ago and theres no reason to think that we can't do a bit better next time around.

The great thing about the Football League is that you can build a team together and get on a run, and break into the top 6.

I wouldn't tip us for the play-offs but wouldn't be completely shocked if we did like Watford.

If they get off to a good start it's quite possible. So it's fair to aim for, but I would be reasonably satisfied with a respectable top half - rebuilding takes time, and with no cash realistically we have to hope that success will breed success over a couple of seasons.

OldGit said:
If they get off to a good start it's quite possible. So it's fair to aim for, but I would be reasonably satisfied with a respectable top half - rebuilding takes time, and with no cash realistically we have to hope that success will breed success over a couple of seasons.

I agree OG. The club needs to be built up solidly, and when players from other teams can see we are looking the bizz then they'll want to join the bandwagon

But Watford have Jordan Stewart.....................:102:

If we can get off to a decent start, then I think we will have a decent chance of challenging for the top 6, the run since January has proven, that given confidence this team can string some decent results together.

Look at Preston, when we played them at Deepdale they looked no great shakes but they went on a phenomenol (sp) run, which helped breed confidence, Watford also got off to a flying start and it helped build the confidence and togetherness to maintain a play off challenge.

The last 2 seasons we have started inconsistently and this has set the tone for the season, it is imperative we start the season as we have finished this one, consistently winning football matches and being able to immediately bounce back from the occasional defeats and setbacks.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
................Look at Preston,................
Do we have to a-z? its depressing......

Brauny Blue said:
I agree OG. The club needs to be built up solidly, and when players from other teams can see we are looking the bizz then they'll want to join the bandwagon

Plus attendances will rise. An increase in the average gate of 2000 would, over the season, bring in about £3/4million.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
If we can get off to a decent start, then I think we will have a decent chance of challenging for the top 6, the run since January has proven, that given confidence this team can string some decent results together.

Look at Preston, when we played them at Deepdale they looked no great shakes but they went on a phenomenol (sp) run, which helped breed confidence, Watford also got off to a flying start and it helped build the confidence and togetherness to maintain a play off challenge.

The last 2 seasons we have started inconsistently and this has set the tone for the season, it is imperative we start the season as we have finished this one, consistently winning football matches and being able to immediately bounce back from the occasional defeats and setbacks.
Totally agree with you. A decent start will definitely stop us from playing catch up all season, thus frustrating the fans and the players.

I think we should go into next season positive. We all know this league isn't that strong and we've proved since RK sorted out some of the fundamentals we can be very competitive.

Take heart from the fact that Leeds and Watford finished 14th and 18th last season.

What we should also be positive about is for the first time in years we have a significant nuumber of layers who have potential i.e. they can get better and who knows how much better?

In the past players such as Walsh and Izzet far exceeded any exepectation we had from seeing them initially. Who's to say Paddy Mac, Weso, Fryatt, Stearman, Hume etc cannot do the same.

OldGit said:
Plus attendances will rise. An increase in the average gate of 2000 would, over the season, bring in about £3/4million.

How does that work then?

2,000 increase * £20 * 23 games = less than 1 million!!

Boy Genius said:
But Watford have Jordan Stewart.....................:102:

I was dosapponted not to see him playing against the reserves at Borehamwood.

webmaster said:
He probably meant three quarters of a million.

Well why didn't he say £¾ million?

webmaster said:
Because his keyboard hasn't got a ¾ key.

Neither has mine or yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670