Mexico - Mayan Riviera - Places to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went on a tour bus from Playa del Carmen. I think it took about 2-3hrs, from memory, and that included a stop off at a shop and tequila distillery (are they distilleries, tequilerilleries, perhaps...). We were really lucky, as there was a large American Temperance group on our trip, and they naturally didn't want the free tequila slammers :038:

On the way back, the coach stopped at a roadside restaurant, the meal was included in the price of the trip, but the locals did expect heavy tipping after the meal.

Hmm I might look into it again. It does look amazing. At the pyramid at Coba and Tulum apparantly it is a lot less busy and touristy than Chichen Itza, and you can walk up the Coba pyramid (not sure how I feel about that)

Hmm I might look into it again. It does look amazing. At the pyramid at Coba and Tulum apparantly it is a lot less busy and touristy than Chichen Itza, and you can walk up the Coba pyramid (not sure how I feel about that)

Walking up it isn't too bad. It's coming down the other side....:icon_eek:

In my limited experience from about 8 years ago, and bearing in mind it was a birding trip so not exactly everyone's cup of tea...

Cancun is like Benidorm. Massive strip of hotels, junk food and crappy night clubs. Best avoided unless you like that kind of thing.

Cozumel is a short (about an hour?) ferry from somewhere south of Cancun. Regular and easy to do. Watch out for flying fish from the back of the boat! Cozumel itself was OK although I almost got thrown in jail (long story). Can't tell you about the diving/snorkeling personally but it's got a good reputation.

I went to Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba but my favourite ruin site was Pelanque (a bit further south). But all the ruin sites are excellent places, not only for the Mayan culture but also for wildlife. The way all the ruins have been protected (same in most of Central America) means the areas around the ruins - generally primo lowland jungle - has also been protected and they have become real wildlife havens. Look out for some great birds but also howler monkeys, coati (aka: coatimundi), snakes, iguanas (fairly common, you should get cracking photos Matt), giant beetles, all sorts. Awesome!

Driving can be fun! Generally it's pretty safe and easy, but you do want to learn a bit before you go.

There are dire warnings about driving through rural areas after dark but we never had a problem.

A few things threw me somewhat - they tend to indicate in the opposite direction they are heading in sometimes, that sot of thing. But it's a piece of piss compared to some places (India, Thailand, etc).

If you do drive, look out for scams. This may not be as prevalent as it was in the past, and may be more common in the rural areas, but it pays to be aware of them.

The police are poorly paid and tend to prey on unsuspecting tourists. The classic is being pulled over and told you have just gone through a red light, despite the fact you might not have been through traffic lights all day. In general they want you to give them a couple of hundred dollars or they will "take you to jail". We got pulled over several times and came up with a novel way round it. The one Spanish speaker in our group would translate what the cop was asking for whilst the rest of us all talked loudly and excitedly in indecipherable Leicester accents whilst making wild hand gestures. We kept this up for several minutes until they just threw their hands in the air and told us to feck off. Worked on at least three occasions, that one.

Another one is at the petrol stations - count your money, out loud, into the attendant's hand, and do the same with the change you get back. We got stung the first time but soon learnt.

All in all it's a cracking part of the world with lots of fun things to do. You should have a blast! :icon_cool

Oh, and the best places to see iguanas tend to be near water. Look for them chilling out on large branches overhanging rivers.

In my limited experience from about 8 years ago, and bearing in mind it was a birding trip so not exactly everyone's cup of tea...

Cancun is like Benidorm. Massive strip of hotels, junk food and crappy night clubs. Best avoided unless you like that kind of thing.

Cozumel is a short (about an hour?) ferry from somewhere south of Cancun. Regular and easy to do. Watch out for flying fish from the back of the boat! Cozumel itself was OK although I almost got thrown in jail (long story). Can't tell you about the diving/snorkeling personally but it's got a good reputation.

I went to Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba but my favourite ruin site was Pelanque (a bit further south). But all the ruin sites are excellent places, not only for the Mayan culture but also for wildlife. The way all the ruins have been protected (same in most of Central America) means the areas around the ruins - generally primo lowland jungle - has also been protected and they have become real wildlife havens. Look out for some great birds but also howler monkeys, coati (aka: coatimundi), snakes, iguanas (fairly common, you should get cracking photos Matt), giant beetles, all sorts. Awesome!

Driving can be fun! Generally it's pretty safe and easy, but you do want to learn a bit before you go.

There are dire warnings about driving through rural areas after dark but we never had a problem.

A few things threw me somewhat - they tend to indicate in the opposite direction they are heading in sometimes, that sot of thing. But it's a piece of piss compared to some places (India, Thailand, etc).

If you do drive, look out for scams. This may not be as prevalent as it was in the past, and may be more common in the rural areas, but it pays to be aware of them.

The police are poorly paid and tend to prey on unsuspecting tourists. The classic is being pulled over and told you have just gone through a red light, despite the fact you might not have been through traffic lights all day. In general they want you to give them a couple of hundred dollars or they will "take you to jail". We got pulled over several times and came up with a novel way round it. The one Spanish speaker in our group would translate what the cop was asking for whilst the rest of us all talked loudly and excitedly in indecipherable Leicester accents whilst making wild hand gestures. We kept this up for several minutes until they just threw their hands in the air and told us to feck off. Worked on at least three occasions, that one.

Another one is at the petrol stations - count your money, out loud, into the attendant's hand, and do the same with the change you get back. We got stung the first time but soon learnt.

All in all it's a cracking part of the world with lots of fun things to do. You should have a blast! :icon_cool

Oh, and climb the pyramids... well worth it for the photo opps alone.

Cheers m'dears, excellent info there. Same frome everyone. I just found out though that Mexico is one of those "put your toilet paper in the basket" places which less than impressed me.

Whilst we're on Mayan ruins, for future use....

Tikal. Genuinely mind blowing, although to be fair Guatemala is a bit of a shit hole. Almost (but not quite) as impressive as Angkor Wat.

Caracol. The best mayan site in Belize, and magical wildlife (as has Tikal just over the border).

I will hopefully be leading a wildlife tour to both the latter two next February, as long as I can get enough people to sign up.

I just found out though that Mexico is one of those "put your toilet paper in the basket" places which less than impressed me.
I think that's in the same way that France is a "shit in a hole in the ground" place. You can probably still find that, but generally you'll be shitting in modern conveniences I'd have thought.

The medical websites seem to recommend getting vaccinated/immunised against Typhoid, Hep A and taking anti-malarials, in particular Chloroquine. However Thomson say it's not neccessary? If I get the shots how much do they normally cost and how much are Chloroquine anti-malarials? I can't find it anywhere on google.

The medical websites seem to recommend getting vaccinated/immunised against Typhoid, Hep A and taking anti-malarials, in particular Chloroquine. However Thomson say it's not neccessary? If I get the shots how much do they normally cost and how much are Chloroquine anti-malarials? I can't find it anywhere on google.

IIRC, they are the same shots that I had done prior to visiting Egypt. They were all free. Get in touch with your loacl health centre as they may need to be done a certain time before your holiday.

As for anti malaria, get some advice from your GP.

I have it on reasonable authority that taking garlic capsules for a fortnight before you go helps to keep the biting insects away. They are odourless and don't make your breath smell. (I'm not advocating this as an anti malaria treatment, simply to ward off the annying litle bastards).

http://www.malariahotspots.co.uk/

IIRC, they are the same shots that I had done prior to visiting Egypt. They were all free. Get in touch with your loacl health centre as they may need to be done a certain time before your holiday.

As for anti malaria, get some advice from your GP.

I have it on reasonable authority that taking garlic capsules for a fortnight before you go helps to keep the biting insects away. They are odourless and don't make your breath smell. (I'm not advocating this as an anti malaria treatment, simply to ward off the annying litle bastards).

http://www.malariahotspots.co.uk/

Cheers, they need to be done 6 weeks before apparantly which basically means next week!

I have to agree with DesertFox, Cancun is just full of hotels, fast food outlets and malls. Nothing really to do.

Cancun old town isnt too bad, but I dont know if it is worth a special visit.

I went to Xel Ha and have to say it was the best day of the holiday, and that is from somebody who isnt confident in water. We did some snorkeling and the water was crystal clear. Obviously might have changed since I have been.

Cheers m'dears, excellent info there. Same frome everyone. I just found out though that Mexico is one of those "put your toilet paper in the basket" places which less than impressed me.

We were able to use the toilet in the normal manner on our resort so I assume it depends how modern your resort will be. Also no problems when we visited Xel Ha.

We were able to use the toilet in the normal manner on our resort so I assume it depends how modern your resort will be. Also no problems when we visited Xel Ha.

Phew that's a relief! The resort is a nearly new 5* so hoping we'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35