Mexico - Mayan Riviera - Places to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to get hung up on the 'dangers' of some of these things but in reality you'll almost certainly have no problems. Don't let it put you off or worry you to death, but do look for some sensible advice.

When it comes down to malaria, the 'official' line will be really cautious. If there was one suspected case in 1847, they'll have it down in the red zone. Looking at this map it makes it look like Belize is a real hot spot. But I've never taken malaria medication down there and haven't known anyone else to either. It's definitely not a big issue in Belize.

Cancun is popular with American tourists and you can bet that none of them take malaria medication (or probably know that malaria exists). I imagine we'd hear about it if hordes of American tourists were coming down with malaria from that region. It's a personal choice but weigh up the 'risks' against the real possibility of fairly horrible side-effects from some anti-malaria drugs. I'd definitely take the drugs if it was a genuine malaria hot spot, but it isn't.

The best protection against malaria is not getting bitten. I imagine they have West Nile Virus down there as well (we've got it here in Tucson) so that's another reason not to get bitten by mosquitos. Use plenty of insect repellant and wear long trousers and long sleeves if you're going into the jungle.

Another thing to consider if you're off the beaten track is chiggers. These are annoying little bastards that start off like mosquito bites but instead of biting you the little feckers dig themselves into your skin and live there. You get them in particular by walking through long grass. They're not too dangerous but they are frustrating. I tend to get them once a summer here in Arizona. The odd trick with these is to cover the bites with nail varnish (an essential part of my jungle birding kit) which cuts off their air supply and kills them. Your body then gets rid of them no problem.

As for the other jabs, get them all and go back for the booster to get the ten year protection. With a bit of luck Matt, you'll be visiting more exotic locations over the next decade...

It's easy to get hung up on the 'dangers' of some of these things but in reality you'll almost certainly have no problems. Don't let it put you off or worry you to death, but do look for some sensible advice.

When it comes down to malaria, the 'official' line will be really cautious. If there was one suspected case in 1847, they'll have it down in the red zone. Looking at this map it makes it look like Belize is a real hot spot. But I've never taken malaria medication down there and haven't known anyone else to either. It's definitely not a big issue in Belize.

Cancun is popular with American tourists and you can bet that none of them take malaria medication (or probably know that malaria exists). I imagine we'd hear about it if hordes of American tourists were coming down with malaria from that region. It's a personal choice but weigh up the 'risks' against the real possibility of fairly horrible side-effects from some anti-malaria drugs. I'd definitely take the drugs if it was a genuine malaria hot spot, but it isn't.

The best protection against malaria is not getting bitten. I imagine they have West Nile Virus down there as well (we've got it here in Tucson) so that's another reason not to get bitten by mosquitos. Use plenty of insect repellant and wear long trousers and long sleeves if you're going into the jungle.

Another thing to consider if you're off the beaten track is chiggers. These are annoying little bastards that start off like mosquito bites but instead of biting you the little feckers dig themselves into your skin and live there. You get them in particular by walking through long grass. They're not too dangerous but they are frustrating. I tend to get them once a summer here in Arizona. The odd trick with these is to cover the bites with nail varnish (an essential part of my jungle birding kit) which cuts off their air supply and kills them. Your body then gets rid of them no problem.

As for the other jabs, get them all and go back for the booster to get the ten year protection. With a bit of luck Matt, you'll be visiting more exotic locations over the next decade...

Sound advice, I think lots of mozzie spray will be purchased.

Also I didn't realise Chichen Itza was one of the seven wonders, I'd be daft not to try to see it whilst there.

OK another question on this. Trip advisor says to take Pesos as it is the native currency and everything is priced as such, and if you take $US then you get ripped off. However use $US for tipping as the locals like that.

However a friend who has been several times says to take $US mainly as all the trips are priced in $US.

The trip advisor info seems more logical, and I don't want to be offensive to the locals by using somebody else's currency, so anyone who has been recently, what's the score?

Ignore all of this advice Matt and take Sterling. If the locals look at you funny or refuse to take our curency, smash the place up.

And the next thing, I wanted to rent a car but they all seem to want a credit card to put a "hold deposit" on, I don't have a credit card as I cut it up. I have ordered a new one but it might not arrive in time, is there any other option?

Also one site says they put a hold on of $600, whilst I realise this isn't a charge, do I need to have $600 available on my card for this to be accepted?

And the next thing, I wanted to rent a car but they all seem to want a credit card to put a "hold deposit" on, I don't have a credit card as I cut it up. I have ordered a new one but it might not arrive in time, is there any other option?

Also one site says they put a hold on of $600, whilst I realise this isn't a charge, do I need to have $600 available on my card for this to be accepted?

Yes.

:icon_lol:

$600 seems excessive, unless it means pesos, which uses the same symbol.

Hertz only charge £60, so if it arrives in time I'll go with them. It's such a pain in the ass, mainly due to the fact I didn't realise I'd need one until today.

New plan, if the card doesn't arrive before Saturday I will get it airmailed over.

I ordered a new card today but my online account is now saying I have a clear balance, which I know not to be true, so I'm confused.

Almost certainly, yes. They will put a 'reserve' on $600 and while that remains you will not be able to spend it on anything else.

New plan, if the card doesn't arrive before Saturday I will get it airmailed over.

I ordered a new card today but my online account is now saying I have a clear balance, which I know not to be true, so I'm confused.

Have they opened you a new account and transferred your balance to it? It may be that you are not looking at the right account.

Have they opened you a new account and transferred your balance to it? It may be that you are not looking at the right account.

No idea, it all seems very confusing. It's a credit card and my credit history is less than great so I doubt it?

No idea, it all seems very confusing. It's a credit card and my credit history is less than great so I doubt it?

Some issuers always change the account number after a card has been lost/stolen. Your credit history would have no bearing on it.

Some issuers always change the account number after a card has been lost/stolen. Your credit history would have no bearing on it.

I'll try again today and check, their online system might just have been playing up. This is all largely irrelevant now anyway as I couldn't find my paper part to my license last night, so unless it is in one of the boxes we put in the loft when we moved I'm screwed either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35