Mexico - Mayan Riviera - Places to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some issuers always change the account number after a card has been lost/stolen. Your credit history would have no bearing on it.

It's working today :icon_cry: I've gone from having £1000 to £70, though at least I know.

We had an interesting experience with a Budget hire car in Mexico. It was fairly ****ed when we picked it up, and to be fair we did put a few extra dings in it by off-roading at high altitude and getting into a few scrapes, but when we got back to Cancun, the Budget staff literally pulled parts off the car, then pointed to other pre-existing defects, and claimed we had done all of it ourselves. We were made to pay a fortune before we could leave.

Two lessons:

1) while they check the vehicle for damage a couple of hours before your scheduled flight back to Britain, don't let the feckers hold on to your PASSPORTS! :icon_eek:

2) if this happens, and you're forced to pay a huge amount of money just to get out of the car hire place and leave the country, complain in the strongest possible tems to the UK office (if it's a global firm as most of them are). They may, as in our case, give you a full refund for the entire three week rental price! :icon_bigg

We had an interesting experience with a Budget hire car in Mexico. It was fairly ****ed when we picked it up, and to be fair we did put a few extra dings in it by off-roading at high altitude and getting into a few scrapes, but when we got back to Cancun, the Budget staff literally pulled parts off the car, then pointed to other pre-existing defects, and claimed we had done all of it ourselves. We were made to pay a fortune before we could leave.

Two lessons:

1) while they check the vehicle for damage a couple of hours before your scheduled flight back to Britain, don't let the feckers hold on to your PASSPORTS! :icon_eek:

2) if this happens, and you're forced to pay a huge amount of money just to get out of the car hire place and leave the country, complain in the strongest possible tems to the UK office (if it's a global firm as most of them are). They may, as in our case, give you a full refund for the entire three week rental price! :icon_bigg

That's what I'm worried about TBH. If the CC arrives in time and I do rent it will probably be through Thomson (in turn through Hertz).

Two lessons:

or take several photos of the car prior to driving off. I have done this a few times and saved myself some real hassel, PROVING dents and scatches they tried to say I had caused was done before my rental.

or take several photos of the car prior to driving off. I have done this a few times and saved myself some real hassel, PROVING dents and scatches they tried to say I had caused was done before my rental.
Good idea. Make sure they see you taking the photos. I always make a real fuss about the pre-hire check, going round pointing at everything I can see and making sure they write it down.

If you use one of the 'household name' firms you should be fine.

We did exactly that in Sweden last week as the car had a huge dent down one side and was generally a mess. Since we had hired it from a local garage and they'd already tried to charge us more than the price we had from the internet, despite us having a print out of the contract, we were taking no chances.

In the end I managed to rent a car fine, and drove it fine the first day to Coba and Tulum. On the second day I tried to drive to Chitchen Itza (got slightly lost on the way but managed to find the main road to it) but when we got about 40 miles away one of the tyres burst and I only had a space saver so had to turn around and come back. I went mad at the rental guy (it was partly my fault in that I was so eager to check the car for dents and scratches I completely forgot to check the state of the tyres) for the fact he sent me a car with four completely bald tyres, and when I replaced the one that had worn through it only had 3 wheel bolts.

I will be complaining to the parent company for compensation or at least my rental money back for that day.

:icon_roll It doesn't seem like you can get through a Mexican car rental without some drama. Complain like feck!

Tell them that you hire cars all over the world, all the time, as you're a big business traveller, and that you'll never be using their company again. Don't say "I want my money back for that day", leave it open to their interpretation, which may be more generous to keep you sweet.

Yeah it was great fun, really relaxed, especially the first week. In the second week a Scottish couple moved into the room next to them and we ended up drinking with them most nights so got a bit more active!

:icon_roll It doesn't seem like you can get through a Mexican car rental without some drama.

Asi es Mexico, señor!

South & Central America are run by poor people, some so inept that they could probably get a job running the LCFC Marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35