Post Match Middlesbrough (a) 0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some reflections:

* Few clear-cut chances for either team, but I felt we were closer to winning it. Boro fans will be disappointed, they created almost nothing in terms of real goal-scoring oppurtinities.
* Defence has to be complimented, considering it was a clean sheet and a good point, but Mills felt a bit shaky at times. Nearly cocked up big time once, but put in some good challenges too. Bamba similarly always looks like he's lost control but rarely does, so I thought he was great tonight. Konchelsky good going forward but rarely got a cross in. Kasper didn't do anything wrong.
* Beckford didn't do much as far I could see, might be due to the injury. Schlupp lively when he came on.
* Vassell and King were both involved a lot, Vassell does a lot of running which is useful when we get somewhat static going forward sometimes.
* Abe still makes inexplicable errors sometimes, but he's good on the ball when he gets time.
* Middlesbrough town centre is a bit rough around the edges at night.

We've now had 2 nil-nil's on the trot. Can anyone remember the last time that happened

2005/06 season.

Sat 29 Oct 15:00 A Preston FLC D 0-0 13,904
Sat 5 Nov 15:00 H Southampton FLC D 0-0 21,318

Last edited:
How the feck are Southampton top of the league?

it's the beauty of this division. When we played them, they looked very good going forward but weak at the back and when we played you, you looked weak in both areas with Miller looking toothless. Next game he bangs in two and they can't score. Every team in this division is, this season, very fallable. There won't be a QPR or Newcastle situation.

Nobody seems overtly concerned that we are not scoring any goals - even Kermogrants scoring for Charlton!

There are two contrasting ways to look at our results so far this season.

The positive is that we've played four of the top six in our first nine games (we'll make that five in ten on Saturday) and are unbeaten against the 'better' sides. We've got some tricky fixtures out of the way and are making steady progress with an increasingly solid looking defence/midfield and an excellent keeper. Two poor homes results have skewed what would otherwise be a fine start.

Alternatively, the negative for me is our lack of goals in so many league games this season. We've scored nine in nine. This ratio is much worse than last season. If the take away the two occasions that we've scored a total of five goals, that leaves us having scored just four times in seven other league games. Without more goals, we're not going to get anywhere. Our balance between defence and attack is not right.

For me, our season will now stand or fall on the performances of Beckford, Nugent and King. Because of the lack of goals from elsewhere, we'll need around fifty league goals this season from these three and so far they've managed two. Additionally, all have had form and/or fitness issues.

Furthermore, our results against Cardiff and Boro are only good ones if we then follow them up by winning on Saturday. Huge game for us that. After Boro, Derby have the best defensive record in the league so far too, so scoring against them isn't going to be easy.

A good result I think, if we can keep the home form moving in the right direction then we'll compete. Those two home defeats against two shite teams have made all the difference at this early stage. Hopefully they'll not make much of a difference at the end of the season.

Enough inane chatter, lets get to the nitty gritty.

1) How much per pint and what bitters?
2) Were the pies any good?
3) What boots did Michael Johnson wear?

How a man (or indeed woman) is supposed to make head or tails of the match without this information is beyond me...

Some reflections:

* Few clear-cut chances for either team, but I felt we were closer to winning it. Boro fans will be disappointed, they created almost nothing in terms of real goal-scoring oppurtinities.
* Defence has to be complimented, considering it was a clean sheet and a good point, but Mills felt a bit shaky at times. Nearly cocked up big time once, but put in some good challenges too. Bamba similarly always looks like he's lost control but rarely does, so I thought he was great tonight. Konchelsky good going forward but rarely got a cross in. Kasper didn't do anything wrong.
* Beckford didn't do much as far I could see, might be due to the injury. Schlupp lively when he came on.
* Vassell and King were both involved a lot, Vassell does a lot of running which is useful when we get somewhat static going forward sometimes.
* Abe still makes inexplicable errors sometimes, but he's good on the ball when he gets time.
* Middlesbrough town centre is a bit rough around the edges at night.

I went The Real China restaurant last night with work. All paid for with a free bar. I couldn’t even tell you the line up for City. For some reason T-Mobile struggles to send signal even to the City centre. (Why did I fall for their catchy adverts).

So from the complete unknown I thank you for the summary.

My opinion is thus…

We have had the debut jitters -Back to back home defeats, throwing away leads and a few good performances in bit parts.

We are now in the settling period - Sven is finding his best eleven amongst this pool of players, the players themselves are becoming more familiar with each other and the defence has kept back to back clean sheets away at some of this years top sides.

The next step (I hope) is that we see the full power of our squad. Maybe go on a run of 2-3 wins.

Anyone got a stream for last night's game?

She's too busy catching her friends out with Two Girls, One Cup and videoing it for youtube

Or Two Girls, One Schlupp. It has the same effect as the video in The Ring...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669