Confirmed Transfer Mills to Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what you think of Mills as a player and whether he did or didn't fulfill his potential here, thank **** we'll never have to see his hideous wayward hoofing ever again.

Regardless of what you think of Mills as a player and whether he did or didn't fulfill his potential here, thank **** we'll never have to see his hideous wayward hoofing ever again.

Interesting that this hideous wayward hoofing saw him achieve 2 assists last season. Not many I know, but the same amount as Neil Danns, Lloyd Dyer, Lee Peltier and more than Andy King, Yuki Abe and Paul Konchesky. Also interesting to note is that the ever skilful Sol Bamba did not provide any assists last year.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalAssists/0,,10794~20117,00.html

Interesting that this hideous wayward hoofing saw him achieve 2 assists last season. Not many I know, but the same amount as Neil Danns, Lloyd Dyer, Lee Peltier and more than Andy King, Yuki Abe and Paul Konchesky. Also interesting to note is that the ever skilful Sol Bamba did not provide any assists last year.

That is surprising but there is no denying Mills' distribution was utterly hideous.

Last edited:
2 new boys did well.
Tom Kennedy twice as many assists as PK.
(Ok he only got 2, but it sounds good ;))

If only our midfielders distribution had been as hideous we might have scored a few more goals!

If only our midfielders distribution had been as hideous we might have scored a few more goals!

Perhaps if Mills' distribution had been better, they'd have gotten more assists?

If they were taking a leaf out of Matt Mills book, we'd have scored far fewer goals. He got lucky with two route one punts - even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut.

Christ on a bike. You mean he was only as ineffective as a load of players who were either complete shit or absent for at least half of the season?

Danns didn't start playing until New Year's Day. Dyer was in and out the team, and when he was in he should have been out. Peltier is a substandard right back who contributed very little after November. King did nothing all season and might as well have hibernated. Abe's contract was cancelled mid-season. Konchesky was hot and cold. And I don't think I've ever seen Sol Bamba pass a ball, so it's no surprise he didn't provide any assists.

Matt Mills was a complete and utter waste of a shirt from the moment he got here. I will not miss him one bit.

That's because he was obsessed with making 70 yard passes all the time and even a stopped clock is right twice a day. A few did come off, but the vast majority didn't. His accuracy was terrible and the majority of the time he just gave the ball straight back to the opposition, but that doesn't mean if he didn't keep doing it that a few wouldn't come off.

All those players would have got more assists too if they'd done the same, but they'd have also given the ball away a lot more, it's not clever football at all to try long passess constantly hoping the odd oe might come if the majority are just passes back to the opposition. Maybe if he was David Beckham or Luis Figo and could actuall land most of his long passes it'd be a good idea him doing it, but he clearly wasn't.

Last edited:
I can't believe everyone can remember these two assists were long balls, I couldn't remember. If someone can post where they found the information it would be useful. Especially to see where everyone else's assists came from as well...

I am worried why some fans seem happy for midfielders to keep the ball and not create goals rather than try a pass and potentially score a goal. If anything I would say that one of our major problems was our midfield not creating enough chances last season.

Anyway the big hoofer has gone now. Luckily we have St Ledger and Morgan who will be picking the passes next season.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here (ok, I love it!), but two assists is barely defendable for any position.

As you say, it's a shite return from all of those players, but it's not a reason to justify Mills' showtime passes.

And I quite liked Mills.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here (ok, I love it!), but two assists is barely defendable for any position.

As you say, it's a shite return from all of those players, but it's not a reason to justify Mills' showtime passes.

And I quite liked Mills.

These are assists that resulted in a goal.
How many assists in a goal scoring opportunity were wasted by feeble front play?
Stu downing had zero assists for Liverpool last season, but I don't believe he didn't create anything for their prolific strike force. ;)

And I quite liked Mills.

I'm not justify them, it just annoys me when people go on about something without any substance behind it.

Was every pass Mills did last season a 'great' pass - NO, was he terrible compared to everyone else - NO. Was the entire team average - YES.

I can't believe everyone can remember these two assists were long balls, I couldn't remember. If someone can post where they found the information it would be useful. Especially to see where everyone else's assists came from as well...

I am worried why some fans seem happy for midfielders to keep the ball and not create goals rather than try a pass and potentially score a goal. If anything I would say that one of our major problems was our midfield not creating enough chances last season.

Anyway the big hoofer has gone now. Luckily we have St Ledger and Morgan who will be picking the passes next season.

I remember the one for Nugent v Southampton.

I tink the other was for Dyer against Barnsley at home.

Could be completely wrong on both counts.

When playing out of defence I don't expect the ball to go above head height at any point during the season.

I can understand you trying to dilute vehement opposition to one player but if you think Mills was good with the ball at his feet then you are quite delusional.

I didn't see him as much as somebody who lives around Leicester but it was more than enough to lose count of the amount of obscenely wasteful diagonal balls to nowhere. Defenders aren't supposed to do that and there isn't one in modern football who is any good at it. Maybe if he didn't try to bypass the midfield with every touch they might have been more productive throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566