Speculation Mills To Celtic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I loved the bloke on the Celtic forum that said he would "fear for us going into Europe with him anywhere near the starting 11"

A timely reminder that delusion is the natural condition of fans at every club not just ours.The average life expectancy of a Scottish club in Europe being roughly equivalent to the time it takes to fly to & from the away venue.

I loved the bloke on the Celtic forum that said he would "fear for us going into Europe with him anywhere near the starting 11"

A timely reminder that delusion is the natural condition of fans at every club not just ours.The average life expectancy of a Scottish club in Europe being roughly equivalent to the time it takes to fly to & from the away venue.

So they should just write it off and field a youth team? They're in the competition, there's no delusions there. They aren't claiming they're going to win it. They just want their team to do as well as possible.

The days are long gone when there was much prospect of recruiting anyone worthwhile from Scottish football. Bamba is an honorable exception. The SPL is awful only & the largely sectarian rivalry/ hatred between Celtic & Rangers keeps it afloat - recruiting a player who isn't even good enough for that league would be absurd. If Mills wants a somewhat easier life then moving to Celtic would be smart for him.

Charlie Adam too though I do agree with Redditch - Scotland should not be top of the scouting list for up and coming talent though there are always going to be some exceptions as with everything in life!!

I actually think we should sign Steven Naismith. He'd be available for a relatively low fee due to the fincancial situation at Rangers. Obviously it won't happen though.

So they should just write it off and field a youth team? They're in the competition, there's no delusions there. They aren't claiming they're going to win it. They just want their team to do as well as possible.

Agreed.But since doing as well as possible for a Scottish club means avoiding total humiliation it just amused me the way he put it.As if including Wilson was a major concern.I just happen to find Scottish football to be fabulously amusing,thats all.

Charlie Adam too though I do agree with Redditch - Scotland should not be top of the scouting list for up and coming talent though there are always going to be some exceptions as with everything in life!!

There's also Stephen Fletcher, James McArthur, Shaun Maloney an Craig Gordon. I'm not trying to say Scottish football is a gold mine for top-quality talent, but when you actually look at it a decent amount of players have gone from the SPL (or below) to the Premier League or Championship and established themselves successfully.

There's also Stephen Fletcher, James McArthur, Shaun Maloney an Craig Gordon. I'm not trying to say Scottish football is a gold mine for top-quality talent, but when you actually look at it a decent amount of players have gone from the SPL (or below) to the Premier League or Championship and established themselves successfully.

Fair enough - and I think I was being a bit harsh.

I had in mind that years ago English clubs - and Leicester City particularly - regarded scouting at Scotland at all levels (junior as well as league level) - as a key part of their recruitment policy. In fact Leicester had a reputation at one point of playing "Scottish type" football although I never quite understood that. The decline of Scottish football at both international and club level has been severe.

Fair enough - and I think I was being a bit harsh.

I had in mind that years ago English clubs - and Leicester City particularly - regarded scouting at Scotland at all levels (junior as well as league level) - as a key part of their recruitment policy. In fact Leicester had a reputation at one point of playing "Scottish type" football although I never quite understood that. The decline of Scottish football at both international and club level has been severe.

If you're interested, you should read Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. It's surprising how much Scotland shaped world football back in the early days of the game. A very interesting read, I think a few on here have read it and would reccommend it also?

Snodgrass too but I'd say Championship level more seems to be the top for the most but exceptions always happen.

And don't forget that for every one of them, there are 10 Robbie Neilsons, 10 Stephen Hughes and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669