Money Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a new house in the near future. It has been mooted that her father will give us money to buy somewhere as he has done with her brother and sister, its quite a considerable sum. It seems that here brother and sister set their sights higher knowing full well the father would bail them out.

We have seen a few houses and we can afford them without his money.

I have always worked hard to get what i want in life, my parents have always taught me that if you want something you have to work for it.

It appears that this coming Monday will be the day the subject is finally discussed.

I don't really want his money and we don't need it.

What would you do in my situation?

if he is offering and he can afford it take him up on his offer..if you dont want that why not get him to buy you a new kitchen/bathroom as a compromise :102:why dont you want to accept his offer.

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a new house in the near future. It has been mooted that her father will give us money to buy somewhere as he has done with her brother and sister, its quite a considerable sum. It seems that here brother and sister set their sights higher knowing full well the father would bail them out.

I have always worked hard to get what i want in life, my parents have always taught me that if you want something you have to work for it.

It appears that this coming Monday will be the day the subject is finally discussed.

Do you what you been taught drew, work for it without his money, you want to show that you can suvive, i am in a similar suitation, my father in law wants me to open a business and he is willing to pay for it all, but i rather work earn the money and then start the business on my own, it will make me work harder and it will prove that i take more responability of my money and my plans,

You will only start to realise when you get a house just how much it will really cost you, Take his money now.

Stick to my guns.It will never feel like Your home if someone else has bought a part of it.You buy it yourself totally then its Yours and your Girlfriends and nobody can say any different

if he is offering and he can afford it take him up on his offer..if you dont want that why not get him to buy you a new kitchen/bathroom as a compromise :102:why dont you want to accept his offer.

Because he will feel indebted ?:102:

It's a tough call, Drew - but put yourself in his position

He has three kids, and has clearly done well for himself. He's recognised (quite correctly) that the rules of buying houses has changed since he was young, and wants to use whatever he has to help his kids along and give them a decent start in life - better to do it now when it's needed, than wait until he's jossed it when it might be too late or not needed at all. He's probably worked hard to get what he wants in life - and what he wants to do is give something to his kids

I will do the same thing with my kids when they get to this stage in life - although a tenner probably won't go very far

It would depend on what strings are (or not) attached.

If it is free money from him for altruistic reasons, I would snap his arm off.

Because he will feel indebted ?:102:

maybe but it depends how her dad has been with her brother/sister maybe he is just generous to want his daughter to have a good start to home life or maybe he is doing it as part of some controlling thing maybe drew can tell us :)

I could only see an issue if they would intafere etc and use it as a device to control them. If not stick your hand out :)

Don't take the money unless you really really need it

Stick to my guns.It will never feel like Your home if someone else has bought a part of it.You buy it yourself totally then its Yours and your Girlfriends and nobody can say any different

I already own a house, i'm getting a decent chunk of equity back for it. We are upgrading to a bigger one.

I don't want to feel indebted to them at all.

I said to my missus if he is so intent on giving away that much money then he can stick it in the bank and pay for our kids education when the time comes.

I already own a house, i'm getting a decent chunk of equity back for it. We are upgrading to a bigger one.

I said to my missus if he is so intent on giving away that much money then he can stick it in the bank and pay for our kids education when the time comes.

It does sound like he just wants to give her the money in some form, so a college fund or ISA would be just as good, unless he does want ties

Sounds sensible to me

I'm guessing it's not the giving the money that's important to him, it's the act/gesture of buying a house for his Daughter.

Millions of people all around the world would kill to be in your position Drew, don't be guilty of appearing ungrateful to him, or prohibiting him helping his Daughter when he has for the rest of the siblings.

Take the ****ing money and be bought, you know it makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670