Speculation Motown's hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2016 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Percy is usually pretty accurate with his reports about us...

Also can't believe Burnley have turned down £10m for Keane?! Must've got a lot better since he was here

John Percy is usually pretty accurate with his reports about us...

Also can't believe Burnley have turned down £10m for Keane?! Must've got a lot better since he was here

Hilarious money

No way was £10m ever bid for Keane. Possibly £5m including £5m of add ons should he win the world cup playing for Brazil.

I reckon we're bidding £100bil for him. How'd ya like them made up apples? It's all bollocks man.
No way was £10m ever bid for Keane. Possibly £5m including £5m of add ons should he win the world cup playing for Brazil.

Was only 2 weeks ago I was having this same conversation when people were saying the same thing with Arsenal's Vardy bid being bollocks despite it being extremely obvious they had.

Think people are happy to bury their heads in the sand as the great Nigel Pearson would say when it comes to unfavourable news.

It might not happen of course, but think it's silly to just joke it away as bollocks when we are clearly aggressively pursuing Deeney (and we did 2 summers ago too), it seems very, very likely to me that we are throwing ludicrous money at Deeney and Keane in a depressing shift from our usual transfer model under Walsh and they certainly don't seem like reports we should instantly laugh off as bollocks.

Or - the market has massively shifted upwards thanks to the new TV deal. It has also not helped with us winning the league and having Champions League money for next season. Both of these will inevitably drive the price higher than what we view as reasonable, but are understandable as to why it may happen.

Still, the figures quoted are probably bullshit and laden with so many caveats, that ultimately we should just completely ignore them and just relax and enjoy the Summer.

Or - the market has massively shifted upwards thanks to the new TV deal. It has also not helped with us winning the league and having Champions League money for next season. Both of these will inevitably drive the price higher than what we view as reasonable, but are understandable as to why it may happen.

Still, the figures quoted are probably bullshit and laden with so many caveats, that ultimately we should just completely ignore them and just relax and enjoy the Summer.

But isn't the point then that you can get far better value from abroad?

The market may have gone up, but even so this is clearly far more than any inflated market value and is clearly silly money. If it was any other team bidding for these kind of prices on these kind of players we'd all be going "wtf? They've lost their heads?" Just as everyone did to Liverpool when they were spending ludicrous money on players like Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing - we all know we would.

The signing of Zieler and the near-signing of Mendy look like typical Walsh-esque signings with value for money, but these bids for Deeney and Keane don't.

Again, not to say Deeney and Keane wouldn't fit in here or be decent players as part of the squad, but anyone who thinks this is anything but silly money, even in an overinflated market is nuts.

We're the Champions of England and playing Champions League football next season and we're trying to break out club transfer record on Michael fecking Keane!

I think the club has to accept that a different economic model now applies as we have gone from Zero to Hero in one season.

Kante is an exception, but Vardy and Mahrez, whilst cheap, were not at their best from Day 1 - it has taken 2-3 years.

We are now in the Champions league and now need similar players who can perform NOW, not in 2 years time.

That means we have to pay more for proven ability. I am sure there will be some sneaky cheap ones, but if we want the likes of Musa, Slimani and Deeney we will have to pay for their proven skills.

Or do you want Ulloa leading the line against Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich when we cannot pump any more Red Bull into Vardy to keep him going?

But they also could be complete and utter bullshit. Don't worry about it, PR, until a player signs and then you find out what the true cost is. Anything beyond that is surely just hysterical speculation, surely?

But isn't the point then that you can get far better value from abroad?

The market may have gone up, but even so this is clearly far more than any inflated market value and is clearly silly money. If it was any other team bidding for these kind of prices on these kind of players we'd all be going "wtf? They've lost their heads?" Just as everyone did to Liverpool when they were spending ludicrous money on players like Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing - we all know we would.

The signing of Zieler and the near-signing of Mendy look like typical Walsh-esque signings with value for money, but these bids for Deeney and Keane don't.

Again, not to say Deeney and Keane wouldn't fit in here or be decent players as part of the squad, but anyone who thinks this is anything but silly money, even in an overinflated market is nuts.

We're the Champions of England and playing Champions League football next season and we're trying to break out club transfer record on Michael fecking Keane!
Sorry, my previous post was meant to quote you, PR.

I think the club has to accept that a different economic model now applies as we have gone from Zero to Hero in one season.

Kante is an exception, but Vardy and Mahrez, whilst cheap, were not at their best from Day 1 - it has taken 2-3 years.

We are now in the Champions league and now need similar players who can perform NOW, not in 2 years time.

That means we have to pay more for proven ability. I am sure there will be some sneaky cheap ones, but if we want the likes of Musa, Slimani and Deeney we will have to pay for their proven skills.

Or do you want Ulloa leading the line against Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich when we cannot pump any more Red Bull into Vardy to keep him going?

Eh? I didn't even mention Slimani or Musa. That's a completely different conversation. I'm not doubting if we want proven Champions League experience we'll have to pay a lot. I was talking about Michael Keane and Troy Deeney.

As I've said already. I've still not seen anything either from Deeney or his stars to suggest he is a massive upgrade on Ulloa, a small upgrade maybe but certainly not a £30mil one.

But they also could be complete and utter bullshit. Don't worry about it, PR, until a player signs and then you find out what the true cost is. Anything beyond that is surely just hysterical speculation, surely?

Of course they could be complete and utter bullshit! But they're players none of us know how they'll really get on in the PL which is why I'm not commenting and am willing to trust Walsb as they're very typical signings of his. However we've all seen Keane and Deeney plenty and we have a good idea of what they are worth, but they seem very untypical of how we've operated in recent years. Any player could just not fit in here any player could be great or shit that much is obvious.

Of course the deals haven't been done yet and we may (and hopefully do) move on from them, but I was responding to posts laughing off the reported bids as bollocks when it seems pretty likely they've gone through (and certainly at the very least should not just be laughed off).

Call it hysterical if you like, I've already said Im not saying it's true, just that it seems very likely we have made these bids and it seems more than speculation right now - again, as I said with the Vardy bid people were writing off as speculation - there's a point where these stories go past the silly gossip pages in the red tops where they go past the point of just "speculation" and become the likely truth - when most of the mainstream press report bids have actually been rejected or accepted as fact rather than just bids being made in the gossip pages of the red tops, the large majority of the time that turns out to be true and both these bids for Deeney and Keane have got to that stage. Neither have I said we're doomed or anything, just that these bids feel like a depressing move away from the great value-for-money scouting that's got us here and are, quite clearly, silly money comparable to Liverpool under Dalglish spending ludicrous amounts on players like Carroll and Downing.

Neither have I said we're doomed or anything, just that these bids feel like a depressing move away from the great value-for-money scouting that's got us here and are, quite clearly, silly money comparable to Liverpool under Dalglish spending ludicrous amounts on players like Carroll and Downing.

My point was though that those deals took 2-3 years for the players to mature to become superstars. We now need off the shelf superstars if we are to make a serious challenge in the Champions League, defend our title, and try win a League Cup and FA Cup!

My point was though that those deals took 2-3 years for the players to mature to become superstars. We now need off the shelf superstars if we are to make a serious challenge in the Champions League, defend our title, and try win a League Cup and FA Cup!

Troy Deeney is an off the shelf superstar? Is he really going to tear apart the Champions League? Let's face it, £30m is scandalous for Deeney. The market is inflated but not that much so. I hope it's a lot less than that.

Troy Deeney is an off the shelf superstar? Is he really going to tear apart the Champions League? Let's face it, £30m is scandalous for Deeney. The market is inflated but not that much so. I hope it's a lot less than that.

I hope it's more. I've actually heard that Vichai is in the process of mortgaging out Thailand's airports in order to get him in.

Still can't believe what I'm reading about Deeney. I'd be happy enough if we got him for about half that, but £30m - if we've got that money to spunk on a relatively unproven player like that then we might as well just offer it all to Zlatan in wages for a season or two. Might get more value for money that way as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669