Muzzy at GTFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get to many City games but I was there that day, right behind the goal.A magical footballing moment followed by loads of us jumping up and down having seen one of the greatest goals in ages.

Wonderfull.

Me too, you must have been quite near me. I was roughly in line with Muzzy about 6/7 rows back. It was an amazing moment, as you watched the ball come in and he struck it all seemed in slow motion to me.

Me too, you must have been quite near me. I was roughly in line with Muzzy about 6/7 rows back. It was an amazing moment, as you watched the ball come in and he struck it all seemed in slow motion to me.

I was pretty much centre, 6 or so rows back, I may have jumped in your vicinity! It did seem slow motion, Weird.
The way he knew what to do before the ball got to him, perfectly measured.
Tremendous stuff.

I was pretty much centre, 6 or so rows back, I may have jumped in your vicinity! It did seem slow motion, Weird.
The way he knew what to do before the ball got to him, perfectly measured.
Tremendous stuff.

Definitely one of the best City goals i have seen, if not the best. Yak's on Saturday is up there too.

Not sure which goal your all posting about, but my abiding memory of the 1996 play off was the large lady next to me in the Olympic gallery was in the air before the Claridge shot hit the net and I never saw the goal until years later when I was lent the DVD and I've still got it, can't remember whoose it was. I can feel another visit to Wembley coming on

Everyone is going on about the Rooney goal v Man C. Ye it was good but nowhere near the goal Muzzy Isset scored against us 'Grimsby Town' in 2002. I cant remember who put in a bullet of a cross but Isset's overhead almost bust the net and he was MOTM that day.
Dont know if any of you lads remember it but for me its in my top three goals Ive seen at Blundell Park.
Good luck for the rest of the season
Up the Mariners.

Good luck to you lot for the season (not including March 22nd)

Best goal I've witnessed in a City game

I wasn't actually at the game, and so I do not feel it appropriate that I make any comment as to whether it was a good goal or not

Worst thread ever.....

While we are walking down memory lane:

[youtube]6764iSnVJPQ[/youtube]
I'm always astonished how close this goal was to the finish of the game. If you watch as Claridge shoots, The ref has his arm in the air to acknowledge the lineo's signal that time is up!

I'm always astonished how close this goal was to the finish of the game. If you watch as Claridge shoots, The ref has his arm in the air to acknowledge the lineo's signal that time is up!

I would think the more likely reason would be that is was an indirect freekick - ie, offside. I wasn't there though so could be completely wrong.

I would think the more likely reason would be that is was an indirect freekick - ie, offside. I wasn't there though so could be completely wrong.

The effect of your new avatar is fading :icon_wink

I was there. I think, as you say, you are completely wrong.

Last edited:

It was very clearly the signal that it was an indirect free-kick. I think the ref must have had his concentration affected by the substitution too because he kept his arm aloft longer than he should have done.

Muzzy's goal like Rooney's involved one superb kick. Great. However, I would reckon that there is an element of luck in those - you get your technique right but the timing is always partly luck. For me better individual goals come when players have the ball defenders have the chance to defend and are beaten.

IMO the best goal for Leicester I ever saw was scored by Keith Weller after a long dribble at Forest in a pre-season friendly in the 1970s
Sadly there were no cameras there. However, people who want a taste of it can see a similar goal on YouTube. It is the first of the goals in "Keith Weller leicester Legend". Notice the mud on which Weller performed.

For those who prefer a sublime moment in the penalty area IMO Frankie Wortho's goal (sadly for Bolton not Leicester) against Ipswich is perhaps better than Rooney's or Muzzy's because it was all deliberate. (YouTube - Frank Worthington Super Goal).

The Goals that Mr Gwilliam refers to:
[YOUTUBE]gznh2NVLric[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]W0z_arXZ8nM[/YOUTUBE]

I have to agree these are better goals.

Last edited:
I love the way the ref is clapping after Franks goal. They would be asking for the ref to be banned these days.

Last edited:
It was very clearly the signal that it was an indirect free-kick. I think the ref must have had his concentration affected by the substitution too because he kept his arm aloft longer than he should have done.

The original ball in from the half way line was an indirect free kick. However you can see the ref half turn and move his signal in the direction of the linesman who was on his left (most unusual that- not many refs play left wingers, thought it was only me!). Being an ex ref and now having got my sight back I notice these things!

That Frank Worthington goal is my favourite non-Leicester goal of all time.

As a Leicester goal, there are a number of standout candidates. Collymore's hattrick, I loved all three. Then there is the cheeky goal (vs Northampton) in the cup involving a heskey backheel and Cottee finish??

Anyway, I'm going to go for David Lowe's goal to complete a 3-1 win over Tottenham when we were in the prem but rubbish. May have been our first league win of the season (was that the year we beat Arsenal 2-1 too)

That Frank Worthington goal is my favourite non-Leicester goal of all time.

As a Leicester goal, there are a number of standout candidates. Collymore's hattrick, I loved all three. Then there is the cheeky goal (vs Northampton) in the cup involving a heskey backheel and Cottee finish??

Anyway, I'm going to go for David Lowe's goal to complete a 3-1 win over Tottenham when we were in the prem but rubbish. May have been our first league win of the season (was that the year we beat Arsenal 2-1 too)

Wasn't it against Man Utd in the Carling Cup. Heskey with a Mid-air backheel and Claridge on the volley? seem to remember Scholes missed a penalty as well.

Last edited:
The original ball in from the half way line was an indirect free kick. However you can see the ref half turn and move his signal in the direction of the linesman who was on his left (most unusual that- not many refs play left wingers, thought it was only me!). Being an ex ref and now having got my sight back I notice these things!
I've seen that clip 10 times now and to me it just looks like he keeps his eyes on the ball. As these sorts of indirect freekicks are in reality like direct freekicks (as it's going to be a pass anyway), the arm is only there because the rulebook says so and therefore the ref often leaves it too long or takes it down before the ball hits the first player (as you know).

But it's a bit of a pointless argument to have, so I choose to believe you as you're an ex ref and all. :icon_razz

Wasn't it against Man Utd in the Carling Cup. Heskey with a Mid-air backheel and Claridge on the volley? seem to remember Scholes missed a penalty as well.

yes it was VS Man Utd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00