National Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Probaly like many people on here i have family descendents that have served in the Great War (WW1)
This weekend i'm hoping to visit the National Archives at Kew in London, to try and find information about my dads uncle.
We thought he died at the Somme in 1916, but have since found that he made it home before dying of trench foot in Leicester North hospital in 1919.
My dad has got his uncles campaign medals from serving in the 1899 Boer War, and also knows that he was a sergeant at the time of the 1st world war.
We also have his service number.

Many service records were destroyed by fire and water after a bombing raid in London in the 2nd WW, because of this they say the chances of successfully finding information on an individual is about 30-40%. Though chances are not great i will not be satisfied unless i at least have a go.
This is where i was hoping anyone could give me some advice on the actual research.
Basically i've never been to any records office and have not got a clue on how things work.
Things that i'd like to know..

Do you have unlimited access to the records, or do you usually need to ask attendents to gain access ?
Are the actual records kept in some sort of lamenated covers ?
Are you allowed to take copies ?
What essential details must you have about an individual to have any chance of doing any research (is name and service number enough)

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Ta very much

Can't help with any of the questions, but just wanted to say good luck. amazing to learn about family stuff like that.
Also, go for a pint in the ship in mortlake, great pub on the river, just down the thames
:icon_cool

Probaly like many people on here i have family descendents that have served in the Great War (WW1)
This weekend i'm hoping to visit the National Archives at Kew in London, to try and find information about my dads uncle.
We thought he died at the Somme in 1916, but have since found that he made it home before dying of trench foot in Leicester North hospital in 1919.
My dad has got his uncles campaign medals from serving in the 1899 Boer War, and also knows that he was a sergeant at the time of the 1st world war.
We also have his service number.

Many service records were destroyed by fire and water after a bombing raid in London in the 2nd WW, because of this they say the chances of successfully finding information on an individual is about 30-40%. Though chances are not great i will not be satisfied unless i at least have a go.
This is where i was hoping anyone could give me some advice on the actual research.
Basically i've never been to any records office and have not got a clue on how things work.
Things that i'd like to know..

Do you have unlimited access to the records, or do you usually need to ask attendents to gain access ?
What essential details must you have about an individual to have any chance of doing any research (is name and service number enough)

Ta very much

I've never been to Kew but have done a lot of similar genealogical research at the General Register Office and the Public Records Office. Most often you have to search indexes to find where the information you want is located and then to ask the staff for access to the actual records. These may be on microfilm or microfiche. I doubt whether you will get to see the original documents which might well be kept elsewhere.

You may take a written copy of whatever you see but often only in pencil. You will probably have to order a printed copy and there will a charge for it.

Don't worry about being a 'beginner'. The staff will help you, there may be printed guides and other researchers will be happy to 'show you the ropes'.

Best of luck.

Also, go for a pint in the ship in mortlake, great pub on the river, just down the thames
:icon_cool

Cheers MK, i actually like the sound of that:icon_bigg. Any idea how far from Kew it is:102:

On that note as well, can anyone recommend a decent boozer within walking distance of St Pancras. Last time down, i had a pint from a bistro at the station, and it rather burned a huge whole in the old pocket:icon_conf.

I've never been to Kew but have done a lot of similar genealogical research at the General Register Office and the Public Records Office. Most often you have to search indexes to find where the information you want is located and then to ask the staff for access to the actual records. These may be on microfilm or microfiche. I doubt whether you will get to see the original documents which might well be kept elsewhere.

You may take a written copy of whatever you see but often only in pencil. You will probably have to order a printed copy and there will a charge for it.

Don't worry about being a 'beginner'. The staff will help you, there may be printed guides and other researchers will be happy to 'show you the ropes'.

Best of luck.

Thats a good start, cheers Boc.
Would the GRO and the PRO be any use to me in this kind of research ? Or would it be best to just stick to the National Archives.

All the best with this fellow Dodgeite!

Welcome back to the mad house. ;)

I've got my eyes on escaping actually mate. Not sure of the time span, but its starting to look like 'when' rather than 'if'

Cheers for the welcome btw, although i've never been away:icon_wink

On that note as well, can anyone recommend a decent boozer within walking distance of St Pancras. Last time down, i had a pint from a bistro at the station, and it rather burned a huge whole in the old pocket:icon_conf.

Depends on what you consider a decent boozer. There's an O'Neills, or there's the Euston Flyer, both outside of St Pancras. A little further away is The Rocket, a Scream pub.

We have found a decent Italian restaurant outside of King's Cross, reasonably priced, and the food isn't too bad, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Depends on what you consider a decent boozer. There's an O'Neills, or there's the Euston Flyer, both outside of St Pancras. A little further away is The Rocket, a Scream pub.

We have found a decent Italian restaurant outside of King's Cross, reasonably priced, and the food isn't too bad, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Thanks Lisa, all is duly noted :icon_wink

The research might fail, but i've got more confidence in the hangover :icon_bigg

Ta very much

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-1914-1918.htm

a few good pointers

you can check before you head off to Kew what records they hold, which can save a lot of time once you get there. alternativley as i have done in the past you can pay a fee and they will do the search for you.

some records are available on Ancestry.com or at the National Army Museum.

Have you tried to find him through his old regiment?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-1914-1918.htm

a few good pointers

you can check before you head off to Kew what records they hold, which can save a lot of time once you get there. alternativley as i have done in the past you can pay a fee and they will do the search for you.

some records are available on Ancestry.com or at the National Army Museum.

Have you tried to find him through his old regiment?

Not half as much fun or as rewarding as when you do it yourself.

The Doric Arch, by Euston station is better than any of these and a 5 minute walk from St. Pancs'.

Not half as much fun or as rewarding as when you do it yourself.

Very true, a bit like the comparing the difference between going to a match and listening to the game on the radio, the results the same, but the extra travel and time are more than compensated for in the overall experience.

Is that the one right outside of Euston station, to the left?

If so, I've never been in there so can't comment as to whether or not it's decent.

To the left as you leave the station, yes. A wide selection of fantastic real ale, and all sorts of train spotterery memrobelia, what's not to love!

Amazing day, blown away by it.

Arrived at the NA about 9.30. Staff were very helpful and i was soon down to business. They did tell me that i only had a 40% chance of finding anything with regards to an individuals WW1 record, so my expectations were not great.
To begin with i entered details about my descendant under the most obvious headings (1914-1919 soldiers service history) but found loads of records of soldiers with the same surname but nothing to match what i was looking for.
I had only been going for about 5 minutes when the bloody fire alarm went off. Everybody had to leave the building, and it was in that half an hour standing outside in the glorious sunshine, that i contemplated giving up and just going back into London to enjoy the day. Glad i didnt.
On returning i put the same details in under different headings such as ' pensions' and ' medal rolls' and BINGO suddenly there were plenty of details there about my descendant. I knew i'd got the right person because many details matched what we knew from the family tree research.
All in all i managed to copy numerous sheets of info, which included his service history from joining up as an 18yr old in 1898 to being discharged as 'unfit for army duty' in July 1916, 2 wks after the battle of the Somme started.
There is much details for us to pick at, but some of the scrawlings are very hard to decipher, and i'm wondering whether some kind of hand-writing expert maybe able to tell us some of the details we cant understand. Not sure if anyone knows how i can go about that.

This for me was an amazing success, and i'd recommend this place to anybody who wants to trace any family history.
I showed the documents that i'd printed to my dad last night, and like me he was completely fascinated by it.

Top stuff, what a buzz.

Amazing day, blown away by it.

All in all i managed to copy numerous sheets of info, which included his service history from joining up as an 18yr old in 1898 to being discharged as 'unfit for army duty' in July 1916, 2 wks after the battle of the Somme started.
There is much details for us to pick at, but some of the scrawlings are very hard to decipher, and i'm wondering whether some kind of hand-writing expert maybe able to tell us some of the details we cant understand. Not sure if anyone knows how i can go about that.

Top stuff, what a buzz.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

i'm a member of the above forum and they have a section that may be useful on interpreting service records and medal index card. You will have to join to be able to search this section of the site, but that is easy enough to do (may take a few hours to be accepted). i have been stumped before now and found that there is always someone on the site that can offer great advice.
It could be all you need is someone who is used to reading and deciphering these documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669