Neil Lennon attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
SFA to probe Lennon attack

The SFA have promised to investigate the incident which saw Neil Lennon attacked by a fan during Celtic's SPL win at Hearts on Wednesday.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan was quick to condemn the attack.

Lennon was approached by the fan after Gary Hooper had put the visitors two goals ahead in a game Celtic went on to win 3-0.

Before the game could restart a fan clambered from the Hearts section of the main stand and made a beeline for the Celtic boss who was on the touchline, leading to an intervention by police and stewards after the fracas ended and the supporter was taken away by police.

Trouble ensued in the Celtic section of the stadium with fans appearing to fight with police and stewards.

Regan said: "Clearly this kind of behaviour from supporters is wholly unacceptable.

"The safety of players, club officials and match officials is paramount on or around the field of play, and this clear breach of security is a matter I will be discussing with SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster tomorrow."

Former Northern Ireland boss Lennon has been in the headlines regularly this season for incidents on and off the field.

He was involved in a controversy in November over a rejected penalty claim - against Hearts at Tynecastle - for which he later received a touchline ban for his comments.

In January a package addressed to him containing bullets was intercepted at a sorting office in Country Antrim.

In March, the club confirmed Lennon was under 24-hour security surveillance after a suspicious package was intercepted at a Royal Mail sorting office in Saltcoats, Ayrshire.

On April 19 it emerged that Royal Mail intercepted a total of two "viable" parcel bombs addressed to Lennon.

Re: SFA to probe Lennon attack

Love your avatar, but this thread is a bit of a scooop I'm afraid.

Re: SFA to probe Lennon attack

Thanks for that WeightyeightDY, when were you talking to Stewart Regan? Do you know him well?

5ec38545-0794-b44d.jpg

Just walk away Neil my friend. It ain't worth it. You are being sent parcel bombs and being physically attacked. Your personal well-being is under threat, as is the well-being of your family. Go somewhere else for your own sake.

Just walk away Neil my friend. It ain't worth it. You are being sent parcel bombs and being physically attacked. Your personal well-being is under threat, as is the well-being of your family. Go somewhere else for your own sake.

I can understand your point of view. The trouble is that if Neil Lennon does walk away the bigots have won.

Jim Jeffries the Hearts manager is clearly upset by his player being sent off and condemns this far more strongly than the attack on Neil Lennon which is "sad" and which he "does not condone". It would have been nice if Jefferies had called the fan a moron, accused him of famaging the club's good name; instead he clearly feels the real villain is the linesman.

Although he doesn't deserve being sent bombs and being attacked I do not think he helps the situation. Why did he wind-up the Rangers fans when leaving the pitch after the old firm derby.
All through this season he has complained about referees and conspiracy theories against his club.
I think he appears as a surly and hateful character who doesn't have any class. Jock Stein or MON would not have reacted the way he has.

Go independent Scotland, off you go, tra la la. Neil, come back to England mate, what's the point of all that?

Although he doesn't deserve being sent bombs and being attacked I do not think he helps the situation. Why did he wind-up the Rangers fans when leaving the pitch after the old firm derby.
All through this season he has complained about referees and conspiracy theories against his club.
I think he appears as a surly and hateful character who doesn't have any class. Jock Stein or MON would not have reacted the way he has.

I have to agree. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until the most recent derby when he acted a tosspot. Very daft actions. It's no surprise this has occured. He's making himself look a complete tool.

Interesting to see if Celtic get any punishment for the Pro-IRA songs too.

He's making himself look a complete tool.

The fact that he had to be held back from retaliation when the offending fan was already held do him no credit either. He really needs to get control of himself.

I have to agree. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until the most recent derby when he acted a tosspot. Very daft actions. It's no surprise this has occured. He's making himself look a complete tool.

Interesting to see if Celtic get any punishment for the Pro-IRA songs too.

According to 5-live this morning, the reason he was reacting to the Rangers crowd was because they were singing "how does it feel to live in fear".

I agree with the sentiment that his attitude can incite bad behaviour but he's had to deal with death threats and the like for years now. I think you have to develop a very thick skin to be able to deal with that and remain in the limelight. He's chosen to stand up to the threats rather than disappear into obscurity which is brave, even if he does feel that he has to be thuggish in doing so.

Last edited:
Perhaps if Lemon didn't act like such a c@nt he wouldn't attract all this hatred. I think most fans of the other clubs despise him as well.

Perhaps if Lemon didn't act like such a c@nt he wouldn't attract all this hatred. I think most fans of the other clubs despise him as well.

When and how has he acted like a 'c@nt'.... and what the **** is a c@nt anyway?
Presumably, you mean ****? Either way, you display a complete lack of understanding of the level of sectarian hatred in Scotland.

When and how has he acted like a 'c@nt'.... and what the **** is a c@nt anyway?
Presumably, you mean ****? Either way, you display a complete lack of understanding of the level of sectarian hatred in Scotland.

Martin O'Neill didn't get anywhere near the same level of abuse and hatred when he was manager of Celtic.

Lennon's behaviour has contributed to the problem. It was naive of him to say he wanted to play for a united Ireland team, he should have known the reaction he'd get to that and he's been hated by a lot of unionists ever since. His abrasive character also hasn't helped things.

Well Macky you obviously know more about the sectarian hatred in Scotland than me.
I am sure Jock Stein and MON would have handled the situation differently to Lennon, as I think he brought alot of the abuse upon himself. I'm sorry if you don't agree but it is just my opinion.

Martin O'Neill didn't get anywhere near the same level of abuse and hatred when he was manager of Celtic.

Lennon's behaviour has contributed to the problem. It was naive of him to say he wanted to play for a united Ireland team, he should have known the reaction he'd get to that and he's been hated by a lot of unionists ever since. His abrasive character also hasn't helped things.

The difference is though that Lenny has been subject to this same level of abuse long before he moved to Celtic.
It's fair to say that his reactions to the bigotry that he's suffered may have exacerbated things, but that doesn't mean that he has acted like a ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669