New 3-5-2 formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantafox

I am delighted that the tactically naive NP has realized there is more than one formation but how can we possibly be planning to play 5-3-2 with our current squad of players. While there is no question it is an interesting and effective system giving an extra man in midfield, do we have the depth of at the back to play this. Does this mean that SSL and Zak will be regulars now after not even being able to get on the bench last year ?

I am delighted that the tactically naive NP has realized there is more than one formation but how can we possibly be planning to play 5-3-2 with our current squad of players. While there is no question it is an interesting and effective system giving an extra man in midfield, do we have the depth of at the back to play this. Does this mean that SSL and Zak will be regulars now after not even being able to get on the bench last year ?

They actually couldn't get on the bench by the end of last season...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't surprise me to see Konchesky used as the left sided centre back on occasion, similarly Liam Moore on the right.

I wouldn't read too much into preseason games. It may be that Pea Son is trying new formations, or may be that he's only bothered about fitness at this stage and could try any formation as long as people get a run out.

I wouldn't read too much into preseason games. It may be that Pea Son is trying new formations, or may be that he's only bothered about fitness at this stage and could try any formation as long as people get a run out.

Apart from the fact he's said its possible they'll use 3-5-2 this season. :)

And Kasper was talking about it in his recent interview. Do we really have the players to play this way ? We need to sign a strong centre back player on loan to be alongside Wes and one other.

Apart from the fact he's said its possible they'll use 3-5-2 this season. :)

It's clear that Pea Son is being pressurised into adopting this system as part of the plans to set him up to fail. A new manager will be in by October and allowed to play 4-4-2.

It was only a couple of years ago people were complaining about us "experimenting with 4-3-3" and our fans started chanting "4-4-2" saying "that was the was Leicester played best."

When we are short on experienced centre backs, needing an extra centre back to play in the side seems odd to me. I approve of playing Knockaert and/or Marshall down the middle though, assuming they're given a more free-roaming position behind the attackers and not a rigid central midfield position.

That was the was? We're back to Blaarev's Doin' The Do all over again.

Like Pea Son in the kitchen with a raw chicken, you are being set up to foil.

That was the was? We're back to Blaarev's Doin' The Do all over again.

Like Pea Son in the kitchen with a raw chicken, you are being set up to foil.
I see what you did do there

It was a slip of tge of tge of tge typing.

It was only a couple of years ago people were complaining about us "experimenting with 4-3-3" and our fans started chanting "4-4-2" saying "that was the was Leicester played best."

When we are short on experienced centre backs, needing an extra centre back to play in the side seems odd to me. I approve of playing Knockaert and/or Marshall down the middle though, assuming they're given a more free-roaming position behind the attackers and not a rigid central midfield position.

If they can stay fit, ssl and Whitbread are good enough to play.

SSL yes, Whitbread needs to seriously up his performances compared to last season to be considered good enough though.

With 3-5-2 you can be flexible in the type of central defenders used, MON had solid players like Walsh, Elliott, Tags but also used players like Frank Sinclair.

Morgan, Sledger, Whitbread, Moore, De Laet, Konchesky and possibly James

More than enough to cover a 3-5-2

I'm glad you didn't say Bakayogo too as he is rather shit.

I'm confused... the thread title is 3-5-2 formation, but the opening post mentions 5-3-2... which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669