New Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

Alright all.

Yesterday I purchased a Packard Bell iXtreme X6620. I was recommended it by a friend that works in IT. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Windows7+Desktops/Packard+Bell/iXtreme+X6620uk/935577

I tried to install a couple of basic programs last night (Windows Messenger & iTunes) and they were going to take over 15 hours to install. I left the computer on over night and they still had hours to take to complete.

Why would they take so long to install given the speed and the power my computer has? I'm not the best with the technical side of things with computers so all help is appreciated.

MHS

Are these programs things that you're downloading?

If so it sounds like you've got a really slow internet connection. How are you connecting to the internet?

Yes, downloading.

I don't know the 'technical' terms' but I'm currently having to be connected via a bloody long cable that goes from the back of my computer which connects to a modem box(?) in another room.

It does come with wireless internet built into it but the wireless system the parents use for their laptops, some Belkin thing, there wasn't very good signal so I couldn't connect up to it.

Matt_B

If it's Windows 7 is there some user control thing that needs turning off to allow installs, like on Vista?

Macky

Gruntled Member
If it's Windows 7 is there some user control thing that needs turning off to allow installs, like on Vista?

:102:
I have Win7 & Vista boxes and there's nothing stopping installs on either.
He'd have a got a UAC prompt when he started the install, but unless he'd already confirmed that he wouldn't have got as far as he has.

As Jeff has said, it sounds like a piss-poor connection. (Okay, so Jeff didn't actually say that, I was paraphrasing)

MHS

As Jeff has said, it sounds like a piss-poor connection. (Okay, so Jeff didn't actually say that, I was paraphrasing)

OK, next question, probably gonna sound stupid though.

How do I improve the connection?

Macky

Gruntled Member
OK, next question, probably gonna sound stupid though.

How do I improve the connection?

Are you able to browse websites okay? Can you watch youtube videos without any problem?

MHS

I'm with NTL. Anyone else with them having problems with internet? Just spoken to a mate whos with them and he said his computer has been running slow for the last couple of days.

MHS

Oh I see.

Could that cause iTunes to take hours and hours to download then?

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I see.

Could that cause iTunes to take hours and hours to download then?

I don't know how big the itunes download is, but I would think even at dial-up speeds it would only take a couple of hours, and if it's that slow you would notice it when you're looking at websites.

I would try downloading it on one of the other computers that are using the same broadband connection to see if they're having the same problem. At least you'll then know if it's the broadband connection or something else.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how big the itunes download is

I've just had a look and it's 88MB, which is a ridiculous size for a media player. It's taken me about two minutes to download it but I won't be installing it.

At dial up speeds it would take about 5 hours to download, at decent broadband speeds it should take a few minutes. Maybe half an hour if you have a slow broadband connection.

MHS

I've just had a look and it's 88MB, which is a ridiculous size for a media player. It's taken me about two minutes to download it but I won't be installing it.

At dial up speeds it would take about 5 hours to download, at decent broadband speeds it should take a few minutes. Maybe half an hour if you have a slow broadband connection.

It's been downloading for about 2 hours now, its 47% of the way completed with an estimated time of 2 hours 15 mins left.

Strange because unlike you said most internet pages are loading up in normal time.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Yes, downloading.

I don't know the 'technical' terms' but I'm currently having to be connected via a bloody long cable that goes from the back of my computer which connects to a modem box(?) in another room.

It does come with wireless internet built into it but the wireless system the parents use for their laptops, some Belkin thing, there wasn't very good signal so I couldn't connect up to it.

Does the network connection to the modem say its connected at 100Mb?

Where did you get the cable from that you are connecting to the modem with?

Are you parents laptops connecting to the onternet at a faster speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669