New ex-players (and managers) thread

Don't be absurd. If these 'tokens' must exist then they should go to nurses who work 12 hour shifts when they are only down for ten, they should go to people who dedicate their lives to helping homeless folk restore some order and pride in their lives, they should go to social care professionals who look after the elderly and infirm for minimum wage. These are the type of people who should be rewarded with 'tokens'. Certainly not footballers in the privileged position of earning hundreds of thousands of pounds for essentially doing something they love but that ultimately is pretty unimportant; their hobby, as it were.

Bang on the money

The whole thing is a an absolute joke

Gareth Feckin McAuley, FFS
Services to Northern Irish football FFS

Shameful

No amount of strict tempo shroud waving diminishes or invalidates this honour for Gareth.
What about the 'honours' given to Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris? Do they diminish it?

Do you see the absurdity of it all yet? 'Services to football' - ****ing hell!

What about the 'honours' given to Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris? Do they diminish it?

Do you see the absurdity of it all yet? 'Services to football' - ****ing hell!

That Twiggy is now General Twiggy or something too. Services to fashion!! And it's Commander Palin for services to travel!! It's hilarious nonsense.

I could never comprehend an intellect so immature as to be flattered by such buffoonery until someone I knew well got one. She went to the palace, got it from queenie and everything. She was beyond thrilled with herself.

The arbitrary nature of the awards is one issue. It depends on someone being bothered to nominate you, who gives a shit about such things. It puzzles me why this is deemed to be appropriate. As you state, it means any old wankstain can get them. All you need is to know a royalist dickhead with too much time of their hands.

Then there are the titles referencing something called the British Empire. What the feck is that supposed to be exactly? When the shit hits the fan and the country is in peril, do we send for Twiggy and Palin? Is that the idea?

The whole thing is beyond awful. As if any of the royals have ever even heard of Gareth McAuley let alone deemed him to be worthy of a posh badge.

Now their scheme is to give a few to black women, disabled people and endlessly drone on about 'charity'. Meanwhile, the fat cats and scumbags hoover up the bulk of them with their deranged sense of themselves being exaggerated further.

That Twiggy is now General Twiggy or something too. Services to fashion!! And it's Commander Palin for services to travel!! It's hilarious nonsense.

I could never comprehend an intellect so immature as to be flattered by such buffoonery until someone I knew well got one. She went to the palace, got it from queenie and everything. She was beyond thrilled with herself.

The arbitrary nature of the awards is one issue. It depends on someone being bothered to nominate you, who gives a shit about such things. It puzzles me why this is deemed to be appropriate. As you state, it means any old wankstain can get them. All you need is to know a royalist dickhead with too much time of their hands.

Then there are the titles referencing something called the British Empire. What the feck is that supposed to be exactly? When the shit hits the fan and the country is in peril, do we send for Twiggy and Palin? Is that the idea?

The whole thing is beyond awful. As if any of the royals have ever even heard of Gareth McAuley let alone deemed him to be worthy of a posh badge.

Now their scheme is to give a few to black women, disabled people and endlessly drone on about 'charity'. Meanwhile, the fat cats and scumbags hoover up the bulk of them with their deranged sense of themselves being exaggerated further.
This is an absolutely perfect description of the system.

Actually the bulk of the awards are to civil servants, the Order (Established 1917 at the height of Empire) has become a tool of the State to keep a lid on corruption in public life. Though it seems archaic and is no serious barrier to malfeasance or the proliferation of ex-mandarins cashing in through the lobbying industry, it does its job in a typically have your cake and eat it hypocritically British way.

FWIW my only involvement in the honours system was to jointly write a letter requesting recognition for a friend who spent many years helping homeless families in our local area. She was awarded the BEM. I wonder if those who seem to form their opinions watching reruns of "Call the Midwife" on daytime telly ever think to do similar.

Actually the bulk of the awards are to civil servants, the Order (Established 1917 at the height of Empire) has become a tool of the State to keep a lid on corruption in public life. Though it seems archaic and is no serious barrier to malfeasance or the proliferation of ex-mandarins cashing in through the lobbying industry, it does its job in a typically have your cake and eat it hypocritically British way.

FWIW my only involvement in the honours system was to jointly write a letter requesting recognition for a friend who spent many years helping homeless families in our local area. She was awarded the BEM. I wonder if those who seem to form their opinions watching reruns of "Call the Midwife" on daytime telly ever think to do similar.
The system has never been and will never be fit for purpose. The honours for Saville, Harris and the like are testimony to that. If you think in any way it has kept a lid on any kind of corruption then you are sadly mistaken. If anything, peerages have propagated huge amounts of corruption and deceit for more than a century. As for people writing letters asking for honours to be given to low paid workers and volunteers who do wonderful things, perhaps that time would be better spent writing letters to the government asking them to reward these people with proper salaries and the respect they deserve rather than a shiny badge from the incredibly over privileged and underworked Royal elite.

So, you’re on the fence again, right?

I am not sure any of the Royal elite have anything to do with the selection process at all. it is all done by senior civil servants.

Fecking racist too. Bradley Wiggins(Born in Belgium to an Aussie dad but lived in London from age 2) wins the Tour de France and gets knighted.

Welsh lad Geraint Thomas does the same and just gets an OBE alongside Southgate who got kncked out of the World Cup against the first decent team they faced. Joke.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463