New ex-players (and managers) thread

I hate to engage in gossip (I’m going to anyway) but he isn’t looking particularly well bless him.
Totally made up opinion but he doesn't strike me as a man who would cope well with lockdown and being away from the KP and busy life that it brings.

I hate to engage in gossip (I’m going to anyway) but he isn’t looking particularly well bless him.

I agree. He looked much older at the final match and didn't seem well. He turns 76 in August, and I think he really should be stepping down from his role or at least mentoring his replacement.

For all he's done for the City and the football club, I don't want him to make a fool of himself. There comes a time for everyone to step back a bit. Hopefully, he won't need someone else to tell him. He deserves a comfy seat in the stands for life with maybe a life president role.

I agree. He looked much older at the final match and didn't seem well. He turns 76 in August, and I think he really should be stepping down from his role or at least mentoring his replacement.

For all he's done for the City and the football club, I don't want him to make a fool of himself. There comes a time for everyone to step back a bit. Hopefully, he won't need someone else to tell him. He deserves a comfy seat in the stands for life with maybe a life president role.
Dewberries

Alternatively, he lives for the role and not being able to do it has aged him - a lot of fellas drop dead shortly after retirement, and he seems like the classic case. Hopefully next season can be a bit of a return to normal for all of us

76 in August, decaying fast, .... Wow. Just checked my profile.
Been nice knowing you all.:omg:

Nice.

I would hope that you're enjoying your retirement or doing a little bit of voluntary work. Keeping active in a sensible way.

I'm 50 in a couple of months and the thought of still working full time in another 25 years is horrendous. I'd rather retire as soon as I can. Unless of course, I get so screwed by my holiday plans that I end up in debt for the rest of my life.

Alternatively, he lives for the role and not being able to do it has aged him - a lot of fellas drop dead shortly after retirement, and he seems like the classic case.
I've got a soft spot for the ol' Birch, a character! A couple of colleagues warned me of the same 'death by retirement' thing just before I retired from my dream job. You have to engage in other interests. I've my writing, a bit of sculpting, and doing what the wife says. I keep up the adrenalin levels by waging all out war on the slugs/ snails on my allotment, I like to think of them as supporters of the 'Big Six' clubs before I crush them.

I retired at 50. Can thoroughly recommend it!. Since then I have had a series of part time directorships and voluntary jobs. The last (unpaid ) directorship finishes next year, leaving me with one voluntary post, though that is currently suspended because of Covid-19. My ambition is to emulate my grandfather, a disabled ex miner who lived to 92 primarily, he said, to get as much back from his pension by way of revenge as he could. You seem eminently qualified to be an awkward old bugger.

My ambition is to emulate my grandfather, a disabled ex miner who lived to 92 primarily, he said, to get as much back from his pension by way of revenge as he could. You seem eminently qualified to be an awkward old bugger.
Glad Granddad got a decent run on his pension! Not sure I've fully achieved the 'awkward old bugger' stage yet - but I worked as geologist ("Rock" Fox) in mining and exploration for most of my career.

Sorry, I was replying to BN, but somehow lost the quote!

I retired at 50. Can thoroughly recommend it!. Since then I have had a series of part time directorships and voluntary jobs. The last (unpaid ) directorship finishes next year, leaving me with one voluntary post, though that is currently suspended because of Covid-19. My ambition is to emulate my grandfather, a disabled ex miner who lived to 92 primarily, he said, to get as much back from his pension by way of revenge as he could. You seem eminently qualified to be an awkward old bugger.

Sounds to me like a life well lived. Good work.

Two weeks ago, I realised that I was now older than my dad was when he died. He had a lot of plans for his retirement and never got to do any of them. That's what makes me look at Birch running about in his cheap tracksuit and wishing he would slow down a bit. It's astonishing really that he's alive now given what happened to him a few years ago, so I just want him to enjoy a few more years in peace.

Me, on the other hand, I have a character that I'm working to emulate. Feck anyone that gets into this old fellas way.

1622915424158.png

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463