New ex-players (and managers) thread

Maybe he's doing his badges here or something, it's obviously obvious that his playing days are over

Spring. 1944. 2 teenage lads walking around Cork harbour in opposite directions. In greatcoats with rifles over their shoulders. They stopped in the middle as they crossed over. Shared a fag & talked about the only subject anyone talked about. The invasion of Europe. Would it happen & if so when? They joked that maybe Hitler would get sneaky & try to take the allies by surprise by "sneaking round the side" through Ireland & attacking first. They decided if that happened it would most likely be through this harbour & that the 2 of them would have to face down the Nazi hordes. If that happened, they agreed, the Germans would have " no fecking chance " They laughed & carried on their rounds. Next day they were back at their day jobs as railway apprentices.

One of those lads was my Dad. The other was Frank O' Farrell (although for some reason everyone called him Frankie Farrell)

When he had the City job he came to our house in Highfields for Sunday lunch on quite a few occassions. I was only 5 / 6 years old then & sadly it didn't mean anything to me. Apart from the fact that he seemed like a nice man & always took time to talk to me & my brother. Plus he always had a packet pf Maltesers for us. Other than that he was just a friend of my Dad's. Later on I wished I'd been older ! Right place wrong time. When he went to Man U they lost touch. But later on the old man went to visit him in Torquay a few times.
He sent a huge wreath to the old man's funeral when he died in 87.

When he did his book signing at the club shop a couple of years back I went down to get one signed & say hello. He was a bit taken aback by who I was & told me to hang around. We had a chat & shared some memories of the old man. & he jokingly apologised for not having any Maltesers on him ! 50 years later & he remembered. If I live to be over 90 I hope I'm still as sharp & focused as he was !

RIP Frankie.

Spring. 1944. 2 teenage lads walking around Cork harbour in opposite directions. In greatcoats with rifles over their shoulders. They stopped in the middle as they crossed over. Shared a fag & talked about the only subject anyone talked about. The invasion of Europe. Would it happen & if so when? They joked that maybe Hitler would get sneaky & try to take the allies by surprise by "sneaking round the side" through Ireland & attacking first. They decided if that happened it would most likely be through this harbour & that the 2 of them would have to face down the Nazi hordes. If that happened, they agreed, the Germans would have " no fecking chance " They laughed & carried on their rounds. Next day they were back at their day jobs as railway apprentices.

One of those lads was my Dad. The other was Frank O' Farrell (although for some reason everyone called him Frankie Farrell)

When he had the City job he came to our house in Highfields for Sunday lunch on quite a few occassions. I was only 5 / 6 years old then & sadly it didn't mean anything to me. Apart from the fact that he seemed like a nice man & always took time to talk to me & my brother. Plus he always had a packet pf Maltesers for us. Other than that he was just a friend of my Dad's. Later on I wished I'd been older ! Right place wrong time. When he went to Man U they lost touch. But later on the old man went to visit him in Torquay a few times.

When he did his book signing at the club shop a couple of years back I went down to get one signed & say hello. He was a bit taken aback by who I was & told me to hang around. We had a chat & shared some memories of the old man. & he jokingly apologised for not having any Maltesers on him ! 50 years later & he remembered. If I live to be over 90 I hope I'm still as sharp & focused as he was !

RIP Frankie.
Post of the year

RIP Frankie.
Fabulous. Absolutely ****ing barnstorming stuff. Thank you.

Promoted to the same level as Shepshed Dynamo. Sadly likely to be placed in another division for anyone wanting to see the great man locally though

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00
9Fulham00
10Ipswich00