New ex-players (and managers) thread

Youri to……Villa
That’s hilarious. That was the ‘big move’ he wanted. Haha. Twat :icon lol::icon lol::icon lol::icon lol::046:

I don't really mind about him joining them. Always seemed a decent enough bloke and he'll do okay there but I can't see why they need him. Their midfield was excellent last year. I also think that, with Europe, they won't be challenging near the top 8 again next season so it's a bit of a nothing move.

I’d rather our players not leave for Super League scum. If that means joining Villa or West Ham or going to Italy or Germany then great.

Would have been fine if he'd not left 2 years ago for a CL side that existed only in his head. All seems a bit like leaving your spouse because a pole dancer smiled at you....i wonder if he feels a bit silly or disappointed.

I don't really mind about him joining them. Always seemed a decent enough bloke and he'll do okay there but I can't see why they need him. Their midfield was excellent last year. I also think that, with Europe, they won't be challenging near the top 8 again next season so it's a bit of a nothing move.

All depends which Youri they get. If it's the one from years ago then they've got a bargain. If it's the one from the last 2 years he'll be filling the bench.

All depends which Youri they get. If it's the one from years ago then they've got a bargain. If it's the one from the last 2 years he'll be filling the bench.
They’ll get the one from years ago for 12 months. Then he’ll lose interest. I remember reading that criticism of him at Monaco. Then it unsurprisingly happened to us.

Mahrez is now a Champions League and treble winner.

Admittedly he didn't kick a ball tonight. But still a special, special player that we were lucky to have

I have no ill will towards Youri. I hope the move works out well for him. He seemingly considered family in the decision, I like that. Kind of refreshing even if he's still on a wedge. All things considered, it might not be a flashy move but one that makes practical sense.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on, how he performs and the role he's asked to play. Not that I'll be watching Villa but I will read match reports etc.

I have no ill will towards Youri. I hope the move works out well for him. He seemingly considered family in the decision, I like that. Kind of refreshing even if he's still on a wedge. All things considered, it might not be a flashy move but one that makes practical sense.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on, how he performs and the role he's asked to play. Not that I'll be watching Villa but I will read match reports etc.
Or he could’ve pulled his finger out and showed some commitment to us rather than playing like a passenger.

We were 5th when he first refused a new contract and walked around the pitch in tears like he was off to Barcelona the next morning.

There was utterly no reason why instead we couldn’t kick on and have another go at the top 4 with committed players. The daft **** turned us down and has now moved to a club that finished 7th. His stock has fallen faster than a duty free company during a global pandemic.

It’s a common problem with lots of people in lots of professions/industries. It’s far easier to chase success elsewhere than work hard to make something a success. The thing you only find out with experience is that the grass isn’t greener on the other side. It’s green where you water it. It all went to shit here because a lot of people stopped watering it.

Mahrez is now a Champions League and treble winner.

Admittedly he didn't kick a ball tonight. But still a special, special player that we were lucky to have
It only needed around 2 billion to realise the dream.

If you surrounded me with the footballing avengers I’d win a treble too.

It’s far easier to chase success elsewhere than work hard to make something a success.
I think you've answered your own question there!

There's also a time to think 'sod this for a game of soldiers' when you feel you're fighting a losing battle (or watering a dieing lawn, to use your metaphor) Or maybe Youri simply wanted a change. It could be argued that he'd gone stale.

Last edited:
Him ending up at Villa is because he’s had the arse for the last two years at not getting a move to a ‘big’ club. If he had continued to play how he had when he first joined he would have had his pick of clubs…

He’s brought it on himself and his lack of effort has been part of us being relegated…

whilst mangers kept picking him, even though, we could all see he wasn't putting the effort in, he was going to keep getting away with it.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563