New ex-players (and managers) thread

Wow. After a draw in the first leg of the final, a draw yesterday would have sent Bari up instead because they finished higher in the table. Cagliari scored the winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time and snatched it.

I have no ill will towards Youri. I hope the move works out well for him. He seemingly considered family in the decision, I like that. Kind of refreshing even if he's still on a wedge. All things considered, it might not be a flashy move but one that makes practical sense.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on, how he performs and the role he's asked to play. Not that I'll be watching Villa but I will read match reports etc.
He will have a substantial salary to boot seeing as he is a free agent and there will be no transfer fee, i do not understand why more players do not run down their contracts, this gives them a much stronger position when looking for a new club.

Even if his salary was 10-15 million a year for 4 years that is still a big saving to a football club given the ridiculous amount of money changing hands during the transfer window.

Youri seems to be superb for the first couple of seasons and then loses 85% of the good stuff.
He reminds me of a manager that was here for us once.

He will have a substantial salary to boot seeing as he is a free agent and there will be no transfer fee, i do not understand why more players do not run down their contracts, this gives them a much stronger position when looking for a new club.

Even if his salary was 10-15 million a year for 4 years that is still a big saving to a football club given the ridiculous amount of money changing hands during the transfer window.

I suppose it’s the danger that if you do get injured you end up with no club… which is why Youri has played within himself for the last six months.

No coincidence his best form of the season was just before the winter break and the transfer window…

Youri is ****ed. Looks absolutely knackered at kick-off

So Youri misses his dream move and ends up at Villa. Brendan thought he deserved better too and looks like he'll be ending up back at Celtic.

Shame they both thought they were above the club during it's most successful period ever.

This would have some meaning if there was one size fits all. The fact that each individual has a different biology renders it next to useless for analysing anything.

He's physically fine and a decent manager will have him firing again.

We'll see won't we. I give him two more years at a reasonably high level and expect him to need protection to get through them.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the only one I can think of that totally bucked physical expectation.

He will likely be superb for a season or two, but he’s shown massive dips in form and he has played a ridiculous amount of football.

I get your argument here, but is there any comparison to other players who have been up there still?

You seem to have an assumption that players have a finite amount of senior minutes they can play in their career. Which I'm not sure is true.

I think your conclusion on Youri may still be right - he's been injury prone throughout his early career, seems to have got fit and then (surprisingly for us) stayed fit and we've used him in every game for several years.

So Youri's body might be worn out. But I don't think it's because he's run out of his football playing time allowance.

Or he's just lazy

From a BBC article: ‘First of all, his output. Tielemans scored three goals and made two assists in 2022-23, half of his six and four respectively supplied the year before. He had fewer touches, lost possession more times and made fewer successful passes.’

Proof of any were needed he basically downed tools…

From a BBC article: ‘First of all, his output. Tielemans scored three goals and made two assists in 2022-23, half of his six and four respectively supplied the year before. He had fewer touches, lost possession more times and made fewer successful passes.’

Proof of any were needed he basically downed tools…
How many penalties did he give away?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664