New ex-players (and managers) thread

Jeez that’s just really shit and sad news. Always seemed like a good bloke and played football with a freedom that was unlike most. RIP Sol.

It is scary isn't it. I'm 4 years older. Life is so bloody fragile.

Sol Sol Bamba.

For ****s' sake. Not another one.

I loved Sol Bamba me. He was ahead of his time as a defender. He'd be much in demand as a roving, aggressive player nowadays. Back in NPs time, he was considered a liability so he had to go.

Loved his approach to the game. Loved his attitude to life.

He posted a lovely message about Sven only a few days ago and I remember reading that and smiling about him.

Cancer can **** off.

For ****s' sake. Not another one.

I loved Sol Bamba me. He was ahead of his time as a defender. He'd be much in demand as a roving, aggressive player nowadays. Back in NPs time, he was considered a liability so he had to go.

Loved his approach to the game. Loved his attitude to life.

He posted a lovely message about Sven only a few days ago and I remember reading that and smiling about him.

Cancer can **** off.

Shakey, Sven and now Bamba. All gone very recently and sooner than they should really. Incredibly sad.

nothing on the club website ffs!
From the official site this morning:

It was with great shock and sadness that we learned of the passing of our former defender Sol Bamba, a popular figure at Leicester City, at the age of 39.
Although Sol was only with the Football Club for a year and a half, across 2011 and 2012, the Ivory Coast international left a lasting impression on all who met him during his time with the Foxes. He made 55 appearances for the Club, scoring four goals.

Through the force of his warm personality, combined with his impressive defensive talents, Sol’s time at Leicester City has remained fondly remembered long since his departure. Sol scored less than 45 seconds into his debut – a 2-2 draw with Manchester City in the FA Cup – and quickly established himself in the starting XI during an exciting time at King Power Stadium. Supporters would often sing his name in the stands – and have been heard doing so long since he left the Club 12 years ago.

His former Manager at Leicester City, Sven-Göran Eriksson, who also sadly passed away in August, once said of Sol: “Every morning, whatever weather it is, it's a big smile. I don't think he can see any problems with anything in life. To have people around you like that, it's much easier.”

Born in 1985 in Ivy-sur-Seine, a suburb in south-east Paris, Sol started his career in the academy at Paris Saint-Germain, playing several first team games with the French giants, before completing a transfer to Dunfermline to progress his career in the Scottish Premiership in 2006.

While at East End Park, Sol featured in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, when he was named Man of the Match. He also represented the Ivory Coast in the 2008 Beijing Olympics before signing for Hibernian in the August of that year.

Impressing for Hibs, he would also star for the Ivory Coast in the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations. Five months later, he was in his country’s squad again, managed by Eriksson, for the World Cup finals in South Africa. Returning from the World Cup, Sol continued to be a key figure in Hibernian’s side but, in January 2011, he made the switch to Leicester, Eriksson the Manager to secure his signature, following his appointment in the East Midlands three months earlier.

A much-celebrated FA Cup strike against Man City set a new Club record for the fastest-ever debut goal and instantly got Bamba off to the best possible start with his new side.

In January 2012, Sol once again was selected for his country in the Africa Cup of Nations, playing in every game as the Ivory Coast reached the final. After the tournament, Sol was back in Leicester for the rest of the season, now playing for Nigel Pearson, featuring alongside Wes Morgan, who had recently arrived from Nottingham Forest.

At the end of the 2011/12 campaign, he moved to Trabzonspor in the Turkish Super Lig, and was called up for the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil. This was followed by a brief spell at the Serie A side Palermo. Before long, he was back in the UK to play for Leeds United for 18 months before linking up with Neil Warnock’s Cardiff City, where he once again scored on his debut.

In his second season at Cardiff (2017/18), Sol participated in every game as the Bluebirds were promoted to the Premier League and, the following season, he missed only one match in the Premier League until he suffered a serious ACL injury in March 2019.

In January 2021, Sol was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma and began undergoing chemotherapy treatment. Four months later, in May 2021, he announced that he was cancer-free. Soon afterwards, he rejoined Warnock for a season at Middlesbrough, before turning his attention to coaching. He became assistant manager at Cardiff City in 2023 and later moved back to Turkey to become the technical director at Adanaspor. His death was announced on Saturday 31 August, 2024 by the Turkish club. He became ill before his team’s match against Manisa FK and tragically later died in hospital.

Sol was one of several players who made our supporters believe better times were to come during his short but memorable time at King Power Stadium. The warm welcome he would receive on Filbert Way whenever he returned to attend Leicester City matches – one occasion as recently as last season – is a testament to the impression he made on the supporters despite only being with the Club for less than two full seasons.

The shock and sadness of Sol’s untimely passing is felt deeply by all at Leicester City and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Liverpool49
4Aston Villa49
5Brighton48
6Nottm F48
7Chelsea47
8Newcastle37
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45