New Wembley - England u-21 v Italy - 24th March 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Kick off: 12:30 p.m.

Tickets
SOLD OUT

And at only £10 a throw, I am not surprised!

Coaches
FoxTravel? No!!

National Express have four services which will get you to London in plenty of time for the match. Fares for the return journey from £9. This is Nottingham's preferred method of travel, so look out for him.

It is a short walk from Victoria Coach Station to Victoria Underground station. From Victoria, take the Victoria line to Green Park and chage there for the Jubilee line to Wembley Park; the fares are tha same as from Kings Cross St Pancras (see below).

Directions
Parking in the area of the ground is extremely limited and very expensive. There will be no street parking within 1½ miles of the ground, other than for residents and business 'Event Day Permit' holders. Others who park within 1½ miles of the ground will pick a £100 Fixed Penalty ticket and will also be likely to have their vehicle towed away (recovery charge additional to the £100 Fixed Penalty) For that reason, I'm not going to give driving directions to the ground.

The traditional BlueArmy method of approach is by parking at Stanmore station on the end of the Jubilee line - there are over 400 spaces there but they will fill quickly so arrive early. Parking on Saturday costs £1.

To get to Stanmore station, leave the M1 at Junction 4. Travel for about ½ mile along the A41 until you reach the first roundabout. There you should turn right pnto the A410. In about 200 yards, go straight on at the roundabout with the A5. Stanmore station is just over ¼ mile on your left. (You can just see Stanmore station at the bottom of this map)

Stanmore is in Zone 5. Wembley Park is in Zone 4

The cash single fare from Stanmore to Wembley Park is £3.
The Oyster single fare is £1.

If you have not get an Oystercard and don't wish to get one, purchase a Zone 2-6 off-peak TravelCard - costs £4.60

Trains
MML Advance tickets are still available at £16 for the return journey. It appears that more Advance tickets have been made available - there are certainly more and cheaper tickets available now than were available at lunch-time.

When all the Advance tickets have gone, the cheapest fare will be the Saver Return at £41.70, although groups of 3 or 4 can travel on the stopping trains and split their tickets and get there and back for less than £20 each - the journey is only about 15 minutes longer in each direction. If you're interested in details of how to do this, please pm me.

From St Pancras (Kings Cros St Pancras tune station), it should be possible to get a Metropolitan line train direct to Wembley Park. If the service on the Metropolitan line is disrupted, it may be quicker to take a Hammersmith train to Baker Street and then take a Metropolitan (or Jubilee) line train from there.

Kings Cross St Pancras is in Zone 1; Wembley Park is in Zone 4. The cash single fare is £4; the Oyster single fare is £2.

If you have not get an Oystercard and don't wish to get one, purchase a Zone 1-4 off-peak TravelCard - costs £5.70 (Network cardholders should buy a Zone 1-6 off-peak Travelcard from a National Rail ticket office for £4.80)

There is another nearby station on the Chiltern line out of Marylebone. It hasn't got such a frequent service as has Wembley Park but can be useful, particularly for people whose tickets are at the west end of the ground.

Pubs
With a 12:30 kick off, there won't be much scope for a pre-match drink - particularly as, with a new ground, it might not be wise to arrive too late.

London Branch have traditionally used the North Star in Finchley Road before Wembley trips but I've got no information on opening times at the moment.

I suspect that many people will be looking for a pub in which to watch the senior side in their afternoon game in Israel. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Trains
MML Advance tickets are still available at £16 for the return journey. It appears that more Advance tickets have been made available - there are certainly more and cheaper tickets available now than were available at lunch-time.

Have they :102:

To get a £16 ticket you would have to leave at 5.30am or 5.57am, and come back at 8.55pm which will have you in London for 5 hours before the game and some 5 hours after the game. If you have other stuff to do then fine, but these are ludicrous times to be travelling to save some money.

To travel on trains at civilised times, your ticket would cost approx £26-£29, however if there are 3 or 4 of you travelling you could follow Bobs example of group saving between stations down to London.

come on people where is everyone going to watch the israel game?

Have they :102:

To get a £16 ticket you would have to leave at 5.30am or 5.57am, and come back at 8.55pm which will have you in London for 5 hours before the game and some 5 hours after the game. If you have other stuff to do then fine, but these are ludicrous times to be travelling to save some money.

To travel on trains at civilised times, your ticket would cost approx £26-£29, however if there are 3 or 4 of you travelling you could follow Bobs example of group saving between stations down to London.

At the time I wrote it, MML Advance tickets were available at those prices later at other times. It's impossible to keep this up-to-date all the time as fares change rapidly. I know that more Advance tickets were made available on Monday night and saw cheap fares in the evening that hadn't been there earlier in the day. In view of the match, I am not surprised that they sold quickly.

At the time I wrote it, MML Advance tickets were available at those prices later at other times. It's impossible to keep this up-to-date all the time as fares change rapidly. I know that more Advance tickets were made available on Monday night and saw cheap fares in the evening that hadn't been there earlier in the day. In view of the match, I am not surprised that they sold quickly.

They should make more available. They often have empty trains, and it's because they charge so much money. We've moaned about train prices before, so I dont want to turn this thread into a 'Lets moan about train prices'

We've moaned about train prices before, so I dont want to turn this thread into a 'Lets moan about train prices'

It's costing me and my nephew a total of £28 from Nuneaton to Wembley, no advance purchase necessary, ticket can be used on any train and includes a London Travelcard. It's only that cheap because I'm using a family railcard, it would have cost £33 just for me.

It's costing me and my nephew a total of £28 from Nuneaton to Wembley, no advance purchase necessary, ticket can be used on any train and includes a London Travelcard. It's only that cheap because I'm using a family railcard, it would have cost £33 just for me.

The family railcard is excellent value for money.

I'm bringing the 2 boys next door to the QPR game on Saturday.

A cheap day return for me is £7.60, or for me and 2 boys with family railcard is £7.90 !

Didn't know if you had seen there was a bus replacement between Nuneaton & Coventry ??

There have been no direct Nuneaton to London trains at weekends for a while due to engineering work, and that will continue for some time. Usually there's a train to Cov, but more engineering work means there's a bus there too.

But I might avoid that by going via Birmingham and using the Chiltern route so might not go into central London at all.

There have been no direct Nuneaton to London trains at weekends for a while due to engineering work, and that will continue for some time. Usually there's a train to Cov, but more engineering work means there's a bus there too.

But I might avoid that by going via Birmingham and using the Chiltern route so might not go into central London at all.

I knew you'd have it sussed :icon_wink

Officially boc is a train ticket legend!!

Not on a Nuneaton to London ticket you won't!

Journeys from Nuneaton to London are only valid on routes on Map TV or Maps WM + TV (though even I can't see what extra routes this combination gives over the TV map!)

Last edited:
Not on a Nuneaton to London ticket you won't!

The Chiltern route is one that was offered by Thetrainline when I asked for a Nuneaton to Wembley Stadium ticket. It gave me several route options, including this:
NUNEATON 08:11 Train CENTRAL TRAINS
BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET 08:48 08:48 Foot
BIRMINGHAM MOOR STREET 09:15 09:15 Train CHILTERN RAILWAYS
PRINCES RISBOROUGH 10:47 10:53 Train CHILTERN RAILWAYS
WEMBLEY STADIUM 11:34
The ticket it offered for this journey was a one day travelcard, which also gives me the option of also going via cov to get to the Chiltern route, or via the WCML. Unfortunately my tickets didn't come with seat reservations but I will be taking a printout with me to prove that I bought the ticket with this route in mind.

The Chiltern route is one that was offered by Thetrainline when I asked for a Nuneaton to Wembley Stadium ticket. It gave me several route options, including this:
The ticket it offered for this journey was a one day travelcard, which also gives me the option of also going via cov to get to the Chiltern route, or via the WCML. Unfortunately my tickets didn't come with seat reservations but I will be taking a printout with me to prove that I bought the ticket with this route in mind.

And seemingly confirmed by the National Rail site as valid. This is very interesting and contrary to the result of various recent discussions on uk.railway.

Hi Jeff

Just being checking through this. You will be pleased to know that the 09:15 from Moor Street will be stopping at Wembley Stadium station at 11:20 as part of the day's 'Enhanced Service' - so you won't have to change trains at Princes Risborough. (The 10:53 from Risborough to Wembley Stadium is absent from the timetable, so you wouldn't have been able to catch that in any case.)

Chiltern say that they are providing longer trains on the services likely to be used by fans to travel to/from the game, but even so you might be better to make your Birmingham change to New Street where the train starts and where you will have a greater choice of seats - I am sure other people's minds will be thinking that way; the Moor Street platform will be packed with people trying to get on the train.

The full 'enhanced timetable' can be found at http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/uploads/publications/411.pdf. I'm sure that you will want to print out the relevant pages.

Thanks Boc. I assume you mean Snow Hill - or does the train really start at New Street?

I meant Snow Hill.

Officially it's against the rules (read the small print on the back of the ticket). Dunno if they'll make an exception for this match though.

So all the people with mobile phones that can also take pictures will have to leave them outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566