Post Match Newcastle 0 Leicester 0

Well, for the first time in it feels like many months, I feel proud of a City performance.

If we go down on Sunday it won't be because of a point at Newcastle.

We had a plan. We fought. We concentrated. We nearly nicked it in the end.

To those criticising us tonight, you really know feck all.
Yes. We played to draw the game because we are absolutely convinced Everton will lose to Bournemouth and we will beat West Ham. Masterclass.

It was a ****ing stupid approach, especially in the second half. Newcastle were rubbish at the back and we could have won with more endeavour and by imposing ourselves on the game a little more, especially the longer it went on.

Yes, we won't go down because of this game, but to say that this performance was anything other than spineless is nonsense. We didn't play to win, we didn't try to win, we didn't take the risks we needed to, given who Everton have next week and our position in the league. It's gutless management and if you can't see that you know 'feck all'.

Evertons goal difference seems to have improved this evening.

Attachments

• 20230522_221002.jpg
    20230522_221002.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 25
Sky really torn - like us - on whether that's a good point or not.

Harry Souttar's interview and smirk seemed to suggest we got what we hoped for.

All the bed wetters saying we'd be 4 or more down by half time
Yes. We played to draw the game because we are absolutely convinced Everton will lose to Bournemouth and we will beat West Ham. Masterclass.

It was a ****ing stupid approach, especially in the second half. Newcastle were rubbish at the back and we could have won with more endeavour and by imposing ourselves on the game a little more, especially the longer it went on.

Yes, we won't go down because of this game, but to say that this performance was anything other than spineless is nonsense. We didn't play to win, we didn't try to win, we didn't take the risks we needed to, given who Everton have next week and our position in the league. It's gutless management and if you can't see that you know 'feck all'.
Maybe, maybe not, but if we'd played this formation and this way for all of Smith's games in charge, I reckon we wouldn't be here we are now.

Souttar was excellent. He's almost always been solid and reliable for us whenever he has played.... that's why he was ****ing dropped inexplicably.

Embarrassing post. Not even worth attempting to explain why.

Sky really torn - like us - on whether that's a good point or not.

Harry Souttar's interview and smirk seemed to suggest we got what we hoped for.
It was a good plan, for 70-75 mins max.

Then give it a right good go for 15-20. With Vardy and Nacho on the pitch, not Daka.

Honestly, I can't believe the defence of that shit. Yes, we were much better defensively but to not even bother having a got at trying to get the win and put survival in our own hands.... cowardice. Utter, utter cowardice.

Embarrassing post. Not even worth attempting to explain why.
You can be a consecending **** about it all you like but we were gutless. Defend it all you like, we could have kept it in our hands. We didn't even bother trying.

How many others teams have actually won at Newcastle this year. Not many, and you expect us to do it. We defended and they still hit the post 3 times. We had the best chance of the evening IMO.

being disappointed in our approach in the last thirty minutes isn’t to take away from the improved defensive performance or the importance of a point.

Of course it’s a good point in the context of a 38 game season. And showing that kind of spirit in any of the previous 21 games we’d be safe.

But I just expected a bit more from a team battling for their lives than not even trying to win with 30 minutes to go, and gambling on a combination of results which is out of our hands.

How many others teams have actually won at Newcastle this year. Not many, and you expect us to do it. We defended and they still hit the post 3 times. We had the best chance of the evening IMO.
Not many other teams needed it as badly as we did. Not many teams, had they needed it, would've spent 91 minutes sitting back and watching them play football.

Having watched Everton scrap for their lives and go all out attack to try and equalise (which they did) followed by Forest beating Arsenal by taking risks and imposing themselves on the game, I'm okay with saying that we were spineless tonight.

Everton and Forest beat Brighton
Forest beat Arsenal

This is what you need to do to stay up, and we didn’t even try until it was too late.

For those who think a point is worthless tonight, let me explain.

The point means that Everton MUST win to ensure their safety. Had we lost, a draw would have been enough for them.

So, think about that and then tell me that point we just earned was worthless.
Let me explain.

If we'd spent too much effort trying to win tonight, we'd probably have lost.

So, think about that and tell me that point we just earned was worthless.

This is not difficult to understand.

Before the game two wins and we are safe, therefore we eek out a game plan to do that. Defend like **** for 60-70 minutes then go for it a bit more.

If we had won then we go into the final game knowing a win will maintain our status, but now we are relying on a seaside town doing us a favour.

You work out how what we did overall was a good thing.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563