Pre Match Newport County v Leicester City - FA Cup 3rd round - Sun 6th Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make a statement to the rest of the league that we are not just here to make up the numbers mid-table and not caring about Europe. Strongest team out. Blow them out of the water, 0-5 by half-time. Then take off the three most in need of a 6 day rest and put on 3 young super-subs.

Got to be 11 changes for this one.

Would possibly put Morgan or Evans in at the back for some experience but the rest should be fringe players.

Pretty much any 11 of our pros together should be able to beat these.

Talk of starting Vardy away at Newport County is just ludicrous!

Ward
Simpson
Soyuncu
Evans
Fuchs
Gray
Iborra
James
Ghezzal
Iheanacho
Okazaki

That's enough to smash them off the park.

Pretty much any 11 of our pros together should be able to beat these.

Like we should have been able to beat Fleetwood last year?

I'd pick:

Ward
Simpson
Evans
Soyuncu
Fuchs
Choudhury
King
Gray
Maddison
Ghezzal (Barnes if he's back from WBA)
Iheanacho

A couple of kids on the bench to bring on if we have the game won.

Some of those players played on Tuesday, but none of them started the last two games, so tiredness shouldn't be an issue.

Like we should have been able to beat Fleetwood last year?
Exactly. Arrogance very almost cost us that day, and could cost us this time if we make 11 changes.

Why take the risk?

Erm, this is Newport County we're playing isn't it? Not Barcelona?

Why the feck do we think we need to play our first team against them in order to win comfortably? I've just checked their results over Xmas - Lost 3-2 at Lincoln, Lost 1-4 at home to Forest Green, drew 0-0 with Crawley, and lost 1-0 at Stevenage.

Are we seriously asking our strongest players to turn up for this? What is the point of having a 25 man squad if so?

Nobody who has played regularly should even be travelling. In fact, I'd have sent a dozen of them to a beach for a week. The team for this game should be subs, reserves, and the bench should be kids.

1. Show them absolutely no respect.
2. Win with the minimum of fuss.
3. Forget all about it.

Exactly. Arrogance very almost cost us that day, and could cost us this time if we make 11 changes.

Why take the risk?

It's not arrogance but a fact that any of our squad players should be to beat a team almost 70 places below us in league standings.

Why take the risk of players like Vardy getting an injury on a crappy pitch against a team from the valleys that would probably quite like to 'stick one on' someone like Vardy?

Jeff's line up is bang on - lots of players need a rest despite people thinking they are somehow immune to fatigue and no need to risk Vardy who is so crucial to our league success.

OK. Vardy starts. If he has a hat-trick inside 10 minutes, then sub him. Do not let us make the mistake that 70 places below us means they will not all make superhuman efforts for the biggest match for them in years, if not decades.

I just remember having the exact same debate to this before the Fleetwood game, literally the exact same.

And yes it was Fleetwood, not Barcelona, BN.

We were incredibly lucky to come away with a draw that day. I think BN’s excellent post about the comparisons to 2001 demonstrates how important it is that we don’t get embarrassed here.

Yes our second string should win, but I’d rather our first team practice trying to break down a team who will put 11 men behind the ball and set up defensively. Even though they’re a League Two team, I think they’ll do a good job trying to frustrate us, especially if they’ve watched our recent performances against Burnley, Cardiff, Fulham, Palace etc. Fleetwood managed it last season.

They played Spurs last year, including earning a replay at Wembley.
Spurs even put a strong team out and still couldn’t beat them. Hence why I find it strange that some want to just play a second/third string team.

Each to their own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265