Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
All very antsy tonight?

I love ants, they're great aren't they? If I was an ant, I'd be one of those ants that kinda just runs around a lot and looks really busy, but never really goes anywhere

To be fair, it's working for Man City.

Again, completely different situation. ManCity aren't in a situation where they're counting on them reaching their goals, financially.

We are counting on reaching the PL financially. The difference between the Championship and the PL is massive in terms of finances, all the money that comes in via the PL with the tv money is exactly how our plan is counting on getting the money back. If we don't go up, then it's going to be a huge problem.

It's true that spending money on good players and a good manager doesn't automatically mean you get a good team.

Nevertheless, I believe we have good, well-intentioned owners and a great squad of talented players more than capable of getting promotion and staying in the Premier League with additions when we get there.

All we need is a manager who can bring results and Sven clearly wasn't going to deliver. I'm just not convinced Nigel Pearson would either.

A bit different to saying you would be the most disillusioned you've ever been in 50 years as a Leicester fan and saying it's going to be a huge step backwards from SGE, is it not? Why did you not just say this in the first place?

Last edited:
And you are flecking blinded by the glamour of sven FFS Pearson turned this club around won the league one title and got into the play offs in his two seasons, what did Sven achieve in his year with us....spent countless millions and left us ten places higher than when he left. Football flecking genius that man....

Really? I'd say we are almost certainly in a hell of a lot more debt, probably tens of millions more, than we were under Pearson.

Yes but let's be honest, you are guessing and at the end of the day like to think you know more than you actually do.

Yes but let's be honest, you are guessing and at the end of the day like to think you know more than you actually do.

I don't like to think I know more than I actually do at all, but then you obviously know more about what I think than I do. In fact, if you read my posts, it's exactly the opposite: it's the lack of evidence about our owners supposed "billions" that concerns me, it's not what I know, it's what I don't know. If someone could come out and show me that our owners have all this money and that their "net worth" is just their personal fortune as people keep saying, then I'd be extremely happy and feel a lot more secure about what we're doing. I wish I did know this!

If you consider it guessing to say our transfer fees and wages and expenditure on renovating the ground and transfer fees plus all the other expenditures massively outweigh the money coming in by millions, then yes, I am guessing, but considering we were already losing millions a year before all this spending, I think it's fair to say that's a pretty good guess.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm glad that we have a chance to do well here, but I'm also concerned, after what happened to the club only 9 or 10 years ago with regards to administration, that someone who, to the only knowledge any of us seem to have, has a net worth of ~£120mil is spending tens of millions on us a year.

Call it guesswork if you like, write me off as a pessimist or someone who is trying to act smart and "likes to think he knows more than he does" if you like, but I care about this club and the last thing I want to see is us go under. Surely I can't be the only person who thinks that with the information we are given this doesn't all quite add up that we should be spending the way we are doing and there's something more than a little risky going on here? I can't be the only person who wants to be reassured that our owners actually have more money than that?

Last edited:
Surely I can't be the only person who thinks that with the information we are given this doesn't all quite add up that we should be spending the way we are doing and there's something more than a little risky going on here? I can't be the only person who wants to be reassured that our owners actually have more money than that?

You're not alone Profosaurus, I agree with everything you've said, over several threads, and don't think you're just trying to appear smart, but I tend to just nod perspicaciously instead of actually replying.
Unfortunately, the people that have responded to you tend to have a cartoon idea of football and finance..

Fancy a bum?

Prof, you have been talking a lot of sense and raise some very good points about our owners/situation. I would try to add more but you have put it far better than I ever could and I have had too much to drink to begin writing essays at this time in the morning!!

You do like to come across as an arrogant mr know-it-all though so I'll have to agree with the others on that but still good points raised there.

You do like to come across as an arrogant mr know-it-all though

I don't think he does at all, far from it. All I see is a passionate, intelligent fan asking pertinent questions. Nothing arrogant in that.

But I'm not going to argue with you in that state, you disgraceful alcoholic

Yeah well that's the best I could think of apart from 'bit of a C U Next Tuesday' but thought that was a bit harsh as his post are interesting to be fair.

Everyone's a c*nt until proven otherwise though.

And where the feck is Martin O Neill!?!?!?!1111

Last edited:
Interesting that the oddschecker page for next Leicester manager has disappeared, perhaps a decision is imminent

I don't think he does at all, far from it. All I see is a passionate, intelligent fan asking pertinent questions. Nothing arrogant in that.
Quite right.

Prof, once again, do not change a thing. There's nothing arrogant about being clear and to the point.

Only Bodog currently offering any odds...Hughes & O'Neill both 9/4...Solksjaer 4s...Davies 7s...Jones 10s...Clark 12s.

Interestingly Neither Pearson or Keane are anywhere on the list.

As ever,make of it what you will.

Oh...& may I just say,I consider PR to be one of the most level headed,intelligent & readable posters on this forum.The accusations of arrogance & such remind me of school to be honest:

"Think yer better then do ya yeah...what wiv yer readin books & that?"

Considered thought & the expression thereof is a long way from arrogance.

Honestly, I'm glad that we have a chance to do well here, but I'm also concerned, after what happened to the club only 9 or 10 years ago with regards to administration, that someone who, to the only knowledge any of us seem to have, has a net worth of ~£120mil is spending tens of millions on us a year.

Call it guesswork if you like, write me off as a pessimist or someone who is trying to act smart and "likes to think he knows more than he does" if you like, but I care about this club and the last thing I want to see is us go under. Surely I can't be the only person who thinks that with the information we are given this doesn't all quite add up that we should be spending the way we are doing and there's something more than a little risky going on here? I can't be the only person who wants to be reassured that our owners actually have more money than that?

To be honest Prof, I've whined on about this subject on here for years and, in the main, just got abuse for it. So I've given up (except for this post). My main beef was with the approach used by MM. He effectively built debt (circa £30m) over his tenure with his only real interest being selling the club to recoup his personal spending guarantees and make himself a tidy profit. Despite his protestations to the contrary, I believe that he did this.

These owners are different in the sense that the club is now part of a much bigger business, King Power. We are part of a multi billion pound organisation. Vichai and Top 'own' King Power. I put that in inverted commas because that is the official version but as with most things in Thailand, ownership is determined by relationships with the Government. All our spending is effectively King Power spending. To that organisation, their investment of approx £20m to get the club and £20m since on the club is peanuts. However, if and when they decide that they no longer want Leicester City as part of King Power, the price tag will be very high if they are to recoup their outlay. I say outlay but please don't think that I believe that they've spent anything other than loaned money guaranteed by KP. Don't forget that in addition to the approx £40m they've 'spent' to get here, the club also still has all the debt that MM left (£30m). That's not including the debt on the stadium (£15m-£20m). We're building a pretty impressive debt considering where we were less than a decade ago - effectively starting from scratch from administration.

We are in a very similar position to Portsmouth a few years ago. We are completely dependent upon our owners supporting our losses. If they decide to pull out at any point, we're fecked. The best we could hope for when MM sold up was that the new owners were not asset strippers. We've clearly been fortunate there. However, anything from an unfriendly change of Government in Thailand to a loss of interest from Top would leave us well and truly bankrupt. As with Pompey, the level of debt makes a move into administration much trickier than most think. All we can hope for (and hope is the best anyone can do) is that the owners do genuinely want to be here for the long term and do not think that their investment is there purely for a long term profit. If we don't hope for this and convince ourselves to believe it, then every signing and every additional cost is another log onto the pyre that is/was Leicester City and none of us is going to get any enjoyment from this.

Football is very much like the financial sector prior to the collapse of 2007/8. The approach signifies the entrenched attitude that the bubble is never going to burst and all financial logic went out of the window years ago. As with a lot of other clubs, but with more to lose than most, we're gambling and keeping our fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670