Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Pearson's record with signings for us was excellent. Definitely not a manager who signed so many "poor players." Every manager makes the odd clanger, even Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have bought their fair share of shit. I reckon Pearon only bought in about 2 or 3 poor players in his time here and bought many more good players and the only players Pearson bought who were poor were either free transfers or loans and ended up being replaced by much better players.
Let's look at the list, Prof:

Nicky Adams - headless chicken
Astrit Ajdarevic - astonishingly bad
Bruno Berner - solid
Wayne Brown - experienced, intelligent defender
Alex Bruce - abysmal
Mark Bunn - competent keeper
Tom Cleverley - much better than the league we were in
Mark Davies - also miles too good for League One football
Paul Dickov - awful
Lloyd Dyer - hit and miss - more miss than hit
Marc Edworthy - stable but not spectacular
Paul Gallagher - decent, but much better under Sven
Kerrea Gilbert - lively and often competent
Jack Hobbs - solid but one-dimensional
Yann Kermorgant - an incredibly substandard footballer
David Martin - no good
Ryan McGivern - dire
Michael Morrison - strong but mentally fragile
Robbie Neilson - absolute cack
Dany N'Guessan - average at best
Chris Powell - awesome signing
Nolberto Solano - pish
Jay Spearing - quality midfielder
David Stockdale - dogshite keeper
Aleksander Tunchev - immense
James Vaughan - poor man's DJ
Aman Verma - what the ****?
Martyn Waghorn - :017:
Tony Warner - unreliable
Chris Weale - piss weak, half blind
Richie Wellens - good, but not as good as he thinks

Let's look at the list, Prof:

Nicky Adams - headless chicken Fair enough.
Astrit Ajdarevic - astonishingly bad Yeah, but cost us feck all and only got a run out when we were already promoted.
Bruno Berner - solid Very harsh. He was absolutely awesome in our play-off season, much better than any of our current defenders have been this season.
Wayne Brown - experienced, intelligent defender Couldn't pass the ball 4 yards, but organised the defence like no one else has done since Elliott.
Alex Bruce - abysmal Again harsh. Gave the pen away in the play-off semi sure, but other than that looked good for us. Decent back-up loanee at worst, never abysmal.
Mark Bunn - competent keeper Agree. Also made a season-turning penalty save vs Bristol Rovers.
Tom Cleverley - much better than the league we were in Agreed, a class above.
Mark Davies - also miles too good for League One football Agreed, a class above.
Paul Dickov - awful There's no way on earth he wasn't a Mandaric signing.
Lloyd Dyer - hit and miss - more miss than hit Excellent for us in League One, fair enough inconsistent, but certainly a steal on a free transfer who put in some fantastic performances for us.
Marc Edworthy - stable but not spectacular Agreed.
Paul Gallagher - decent, but much better under Sven Agreed, though I've always like him.
Kerrea Gilbert - lively and often competent Agreed.
Jack Hobbs - solid but one-dimensional Again, very harsh. Exceptional for us in our play-off season, again, like Berner, much better than any of our current defenders have been this season.
Yann Kermorgant - an incredibly substandard footballer Disagree, always looked good to me, but was never given a chance to adapt to the English game. Again, was a freebie.
David Martin - no good Did a decent enough job in League One.
Ryan McGivern - dire Agree, but was quickly dropped.
Michael Morrison - strong but mentally fragile Again, disagree, could read the game like few defenders I've seen for us. Much like Hobbs and Berner, much better than any of our current defenders have shown this season.
Robbie Neilson - absolute cack Agreed.
Dany N'Guessan - average at best Excellent when he first arrived, but went off the boil in the second half of the season.
Chris Powell - awesome signing Fantastic free signing, if only for his off the field influence.
Nolberto Solano - pish Decent back-up.
Jay Spearing - quality midfielder Agreed.
David Stockdale - dogshite keeper Disagree, average.
Aleksander Tunchev - immense Agreed.
James Vaughan - poor man's DJ Agreed.
Aman Verma - what the ****? Freebie.
Martyn Waghorn - :017: Did well under Pearson.
Tony Warner - unreliable Emergency loan, who else could he have brought in at that time?
Chris Weale - piss weak, half blind Under SGE, yes. Under Pearson, a good, solid Championship keeper.
Richie Wellens - good, but not as good as he thinks Agreed.

I forgot about Adams, but other than that I still say it was only freebies or loanees who quickly became back-up who were the poor signings.

Can guarentee you would have had very different opinions on Weale, Hobbs, Morrison, Berner etc. at the end of Pearson's reign, it's not his fault the succeeding managers couldn't get the same out of these players.

Last edited:
I am sure with the same budget that Sven had, Pearson would sign some real quality. Remember that the players Pearson signed were a reflection of the budget he had to work with and was also no doubt a reflection on the type of football we could play. Whatever you say those signings got us out of league one as champions and to the play offs.

Also, people who go on about his defensive football forget that we were the top scorers in the country when we won League One!

We then became a more defensive side in the Championship because we didn't have the budget to become a great attacking side. Either way, winning games is what matters most, however you win them.

Really? I'd say we are almost certainly in a hell of a lot more debt, probably tens of millions more, than we were under Pearson.

I don't think you can say that unless you have any sort of inside knowledge on our club's financial stability. Spending £10-15m on players and other things such as stadium TV screens etc would indicate we are financially better off under the new owners than we were under Milan during Pearson's tenure...

Also with regard to the squad, I think we have a better squad now. Just because we are not getting better results doesn't necessarily mean our squad isn't as good as it was back then IMO. Sven bought in some great players but just couldn't get them playing as well as he should have done. Picking out a few examples of the key changes we have had over Pearson's team, I'd go for Nugent over Fryatt, Bamba over Hobbs, Schmeichel over Weale any day. We also have much better strength in depth now than we did then. IMO we are definately stronger now.

I don't think you can say that unless you have any sort of inside knowledge on our club's financial stability. Spending £10-15m on players and other things such as stadium TV screens etc would indicate we are financially better off under the new owners than we were under Milan during Pearson's tenure...

Also with regard to the squad, I think we have a better squad now. Just because we are not getting better results doesn't necessarily mean our squad isn't as good as it was back then IMO. Sven bought in some great players but just couldn't get them playing as well as he should have done. Picking out a few examples of the key changes we have had over Pearson's team, I'd go for Nugent over Fryatt, Bamba over Hobbs, Schmeichel over Weale any day. We also have much better strength in depth now than we did then. IMO we are definately stronger now.

Do you think the owners are just putting the money in to the club out of their own back pockets? Do you honestly think they are not loaning it to us an expecting it back?

Do you think the owners are just putting the money in to the club out of their own back pockets? Do you honestly think they are not loaning it to us an expecting it back?

Again it's not really something anyone can comment on unless they have inside knowledge of our financial situation. I'm assuming that's what you think is happening. Personally I'd assume they own the club and any losses incured by us are incured by them - likewise any profits, so yes I'd be inclined to think it is coming out of their own back pocket. Having said that, without insider knowledge, both mine and your own opinions on the matter are complete guess work.

Again it's not really something anyone can comment on unless they have inside knowledge of our financial situation. I'm assuming that's what you think is happening. Personally I'd assume they own the club and any losses incured by us are incured by them - likewise any profits, so yes I'd be inclined to think it is coming out of their own back pocket. Having said that, without insider knowledge, both mine and your own opinions on the matter are complete guess work.

No, it's not. When they came in there was a Q&A thing on the OS in which they stated money would be loaned against the club.

Either way, it's just common sense that shrewd businessmen don't just spunk money at something that would be losing them tens of millions a year in doing so.

I always thought you knew nothing about football!

That whole list cost us about a third of Jermaine Beckford!

And for that we got Wellens (realistically a good signing - popular at least until NP left), Cleverley (one of the best young midfielders in England), Spearing (ditto) and Dyer (still our best out and out left flanker).

You also described Brown as 'intelligent'. Now that's the sort of thing I expect from you. Votes BNP doesn't he? Fired for insulting your "awesome" signing Chris Powell by saying him and his sort should sod off home. Yes, I'd say he's a bright lad.

As for describing Weale as awful - surely he was a favourite until Sven took over, no? And the same goes for Morrison, Waghorn and Hobbs, who's every bit as good as Mills.

I agree Vaughan is a Beckford sort, but a poor man's Beckford...? Well, yes, inasmuch as he cost us nothing. I know you wanted to explore the upper reaches of Sven's digestive tract (remember the day you told me we WOULD be promoted in May? Or that I was an idiot for thinking O'Neill was better than Sven?) but come on.

My favourite, however, was the bit where you described Edworthy as stable. Do you know how many games he played for us during his eight months with the club? He is, apparently, stable while Dyer is 'more miss than hit'. Oh, and I forget, Martin and Stockdale were 'dogshite'. I seem to recall we had the second best defence in all four divisions that season and that those two were in goal for 35 of the 46 games. And hasn't Stockdale been touted as a future England number one since he left City?

As for Gallagher, I can only guess you haven't seen a great deal of him if you think he's been so much better under Sven.

The Swede is gone. Dry your eyes for God's sake.

Last edited:
No, it's not. When they came in there was a Q&A thing on the OS in which they stated money would be loaned against the club.

Either way, it's just common sense that shrewd businessmen don't just spunk money at something that would be losing them tens of millions a year in doing so.

Well then fair enough, I obviously missed said Q&A session. No doubt that sort of situation is going on with many of the foreign owned football clubs and financial stability will be tied to the success the club achieves on the field.

Profondo where do you get some of this unsubstantiated drivel from? Your never an optimist, your glass is always half empty, never half full.

Profondo where do you get some of this unsubstantiated drivel from? Your never an optimist, your glass is always half empty, never half full.

What unsubstantiated drivel?

I would disagree with you completely regarding optimism. I consider myself an optimistic person and was very optimistic all the time when NP was here because I could see he was taking the side forward, I said I didn't want SGE sacked as I thought he could still do well for us, but it was wrong to give a manager with no knowledge of this division so little time to adapt to it and to expect to "buy" promotion in one transfer window.

I'm not pessimistic at all, I'm just currently concerned about the way the club is being run financially and I'm surprised that there are people who aren't concerned with a club who are just throwing money about like this when they don't even seem to be worth that much. Especially after going into admin a decade or so ago. I honestly can't believe there are people who are just happy with our short termist "all or nothing" approach as it's buying us a few players right now, without even thinking about the future.

Last edited:

The more you write, the more I think you are unhinged.

Do you think Abramovich will ever get back what he's put into Chelsea? Or what the owner of Man City is investing will ever give him a profit?

You're out of touch with reality mate.

I always thought you knew nothing about football!

That whole list cost us about a third of Jermaine Beckford!

And for that we got Wellens (realistically a good signing - popular at least until NP left), Cleverley (one of the best young midfielders in England), Spearing (ditto) and Dyer (still our best out and out left flanker).

You also described Brown as 'intelligent'. Now that's the sort of thing I expect from you. Votes BNP doesn't he? Fired for insulting your "awesome" signing Chris Powell by saying him and his sort should sod off home. Yes, I'd say he's a bright lad.

As for describing Weale as awful - surely he was a favourite until Sven took over, no? And the same goes for Morrison, Waghorn and Hobbs, who's every bit as good as Mills.

I agree Vaughan is a Beckford sort, but a poor man's Beckford...? Well, yes, inasmuch as he cost us nothing. I know you wanted to explore the upper reaches of Sven's digestive tract (remember the day you told me we WOULD be promoted in May? Or that I was an idiot for thinking O'Neill was better than Sven?) but come on.

My favourite, however, was the bit where you described Edworthy as stable. Do you know how many games he played for us during his eight months with the club? He is, apparently, stable while Dyer is 'more miss than hit'. Oh, and I forget, Martin and Stockdale were 'dogshite'. I seem to recall we had the second best defence in all four divisions that season and that those two were in goal for 35 of the 46 games. And hasn't Stockdale been touted as a future England number one since he left City?

As for Gallagher, I can only guess you haven't seen a great deal of him if you think he's been so much better under Sven.

The Swede is gone. Dry your eyes for God's sake.
As usual, you've deliberately misunderstood my post, missed the point of it entirely, and made up bits of your own. As a consequence, I'll be treating it as it deserves, and not replying to its content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669