Next Manager

If we can register Terry as a player then it might be worth it

Leicester send managerial SOS to Dean Smith after Jesse Marsch talks collapse​

The former Aston Villa manager and Craig Shakespeare hope to team up again with John Terry with final decision not yet made

BySam Wallace, CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER and John Percy10 April 2023 • 5:03pm

Dean Smith wants John Terry to help him keep Leicester in the top flight with just eight games to go

Leicester City's proposed interim coaching team of Dean Smith and Craig Shakespeare want to bring with them the former Chelsea and England captain John Terry in their bid to save the club’s Premier League status.

Smith, along with former Leicester manager Shakespeare, and Terry, would be prepared to take the relegation-threatened club until the end of the season and that is the scenario that currently looks most practical although a final decision has not yet been made.

The proposal to bring Terry, 42, has emerged in the last 24 hours. He is currently working at the Chelsea academy having previously coached at Aston Villa with Smith. Leicester are assessing all options after a turbulent five days in which candidates have come and gone, including the former Leeds United manager, Jesse Marsch.

The American coach ruled himself out of contention the morning after watching Leicester lose to Bournemouth on Saturday. The feeling at the club is that the players need a jolt to get them out of a mood of complacency that has engulfed a squad that believes it will not go down. But with one point in their last eight games that is the direction they are heading.

Smith and Shakespeare would be prepared to take a short-term contract which would allow the club to reassess at the end of the season depending on whether they retain their Premier League status. The process is being led by owner Aiyawatt “Top” Srivaddhanaprabha; Susan Whelan, the chief executive of the family’s King Power duty free empire; and director of football Jon Rudkin.

The signs are not promising for Leicester. Having sacked Brendan Rodgers they lost that crucial game to Bournemouth under interim coach Adam Sadler and now have injury concerns over Harvey Barnes as well as long-term absentee Youri Tielemans. There is a mood that the players have responded poorly to adversity and that too much of the blame has been apportioned elsewhere.

The next decision will be crucial for the Leicester hierarchy. In 2019, they were able to take Rodgers from Celtic mid-season although that kind of status seems beyond them now and they are recruiting a coach in a market where many appointments have already been made in the bottom half of the table by clubs nervous about Premier League survival. The managerial interviews took place in London last Thursday with Srivaddhanaprabha having flown to Britain to take a full role in the process.

Cryptic.

This gave me a smile....

The feeling at the club is that the players need a jolt to get them out of a mood of complacency that has engulfed a squad that believes it will not go down.
"believes"? Or couldn't give a shit?

There is a mood that the players have responded poorly to adversity and that too much of the blame has been apportioned elsewhere.
blame appprtioned "elsewhere"? I wonder what Wallace/Percy could mean? A revisionist history already?

Could be the future

Could be the future

Killing them all seems a bit harsh....would spare a few at least. Claudio obvs, Nige, MON. Outside our club i don't think I've ever felt like I'd want Roy Evans dead. Quite liked Jack Charlton too but that doesn't really matter in this context.....

Killing them all seems a bit harsh....would spare a few at least. Claudio obvs, Nige, MON. Outside our club i don't think I've ever felt like I'd want Roy Evans dead. Quite liked Jack Charlton too but that doesn't really matter in this context.....
The only thing that worries me is that I've met people who still consider that thing a newspaper.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563