Next season expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure that I am allowed to say this any more. I was born in the first half of the last century and I am not sure of anything anymore. I am just going to say " slowly slowly catchy monkey" Have we made progress this season? YES. Will we improve our squad in the summer? YES Should there be a points penalty for the "Top Six? No, the league is what it is. Should there be a transfer embargo against the "Top Six? Absolutely YES Do we love LCFC ? YYYEEEESSSS

A couple of friends who were at the game today told me that it appeared that Youri stayed out on the pitch after the game and they thought he was saying his good byes to the fans.
Not yet signed a new contract...

He's this years big name to leave.
Can’t blame him. He deserves to be playing CL football.

I fear that today’s result will have ramifications for years to come.

A couple of friends who were at the game today told me that it appeared that Youri stayed out on the pitch after the game and they thought he was saying his good byes to the fans.

He did that because he was the one pulled out to do all the media interviews at the side of the pitch

Everyone else had been around the pitch doing that immediately after the game, but he didn’t get the chance, so did it afterwards

Nothing to see here

Nothing to see here
I hope you right homer.

Must admit that when I read lesterboy's post I did think 'well, yes, that is one interpretation'

We're all desperately looking for signs (understandably) at the moment; is Youri staying? Is he leaving? is Nacho becoming a Trappist monk? etc etc etc The season's just finished, emotions are still high (as they are on here!) and it's possible that no player has given serious thought to the 'what next?' question.

I think June is going to be a tense month. Not least because it'll he my 60th!

I'll be amazed if Youri will be playing for us next season - if he was that keen he would have signed already.

Clearly waiting to see if we made the top 4 and possibly waiting to perform at the Euros too.

Unfortunately he has progressed quicker than we have as a team so understandable he will be the next one to move to one of the top 4.

A very quick tot up - and of our 'first choice' players who were here at the start of the season there were over 120 premier league games missed through injury across Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne, Maddison, Ricardo, Barnes, Justin, Ndidi
I havent even looked at the number of games unavaliable for Vardy, Praet, Fofana

Essentially we played the whole season with an AVERAGE of 3 to 4 first team players missing from the starting line up in each game, and the squad was only the 10th most valuable to start with.

i think its a ****ing miracle we are 5th and won the FA Cup

A very quick tot up - and of our 'first choice' players who were here at the start of the season there were over 120 premier league games missed through injury across Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne, Maddison, Ricardo, Barnes, Justin, Ndidi
I havent even looked at the number of games unavaliable for Vardy, Praet, Fofana

Essentially we played the whole season with an AVERAGE of 3 to 4 first team players missing from the starting line up in each game, and the squad was only the 10th most valuable to start with.

I know the situation is very different given how many more games we've had to play, but I do wonder what impact Dave Rennie leaving the club has had? For years we've had one of the best injury records, then last season and this, we must have had one of the worst.

Bob on Sparky. I would love to see a comparison to the top 4.
We didn’t throw it away, it became almost impossible to sustain the levels we hit in early season.

I know the situation is very different given how many more games we've had to play, but I do wonder what impact Dave Rennie leaving the club has had? For years we've had one of the best injury records, then last season and this, we must have had one of the worst.
I don’t think that’s the issue FF, I am fairly sure it is not having a break to speak of between two seasons and because of the snowball effect of injuries we played played who, in normal circumstances we would definitely have rested.

The other point about our injuries and squad depth is the lack of players in the U23s.

BR has promoted a few to the main squad this season but there doesn't seem to be much talent there.

Like Thomas was jumped straight through from the U18s to the first team. But apart from him?

We've been bringing in other club rejects for our U23s for some time now and none have worked out.

I don't understand what we're trying to do. If anything it stunts players progress whilst simultaneously stockpiling people that are nowhere near good enough.

It is definitely another area requiring serious improvement.

The other point about our injuries and squad depth is the lack of players in the U23s.

BR has promoted a few to the main squad this season but there doesn't seem to be much talent there.

Like Thomas was jumped straight through from the U18s to the first team. But apart from him?

We've been bringing in other club rejects for our U23s for some time now and none have worked out.

I don't understand what we're trying to do. If anything it stunts players progress whilst simultaneously stockpiling people that are nowhere near good enough.

It is definitely another area requiring serious improvement.
Also, it seems as though players returning from injury are having to regain match fitness in PL matches, rather than playing in the U23s.

At no point this season we’re we able to field our strongest 11. Not once. And yet we won the FA Cup, had a decent spell in Europe and competed at the top of the table all season.

We started the season with Wilf at CB and ended it with him there. The entire left side of our team was decimated.

In hindsight, we’ve done brilliantly. Also in hindsight, it’s a real shame Under and Benkovic didn’t work out. 2 players in positions we desperately needed support in. Both unqualified failures.

Our full strength side would compete for the title, let alone top 4, but we have to do a better job keeping them fit.

Also, it seems as though players returning from injury are having to regain match fitness in PL matches, rather than playing in the U23s.

Yes, very good point. Once a player gets injured, getting back up to speed is very difficult.

They almost get written off once injured.

I think that's due to COVID and trying to keep the bubbles separate too, but it certainly hasn't helped

I strongly disagree that Europe should be our main focus next season. It should be the Premier League, and breaking in to the Top 4.

Ultimately, breaking in to the Top 4 is far more likely. We've come within one game of Top 4 the last two seasons. Yes, we haven't made it, and we will expect the other clubs to strengthen, but we're far better placed than Spurs/Arsenal/Everton/etc. to compete next season at present, and will almost certainly go into the season as 5th or 6th favourites.

Compare that to the Europa League, where 18 teams will be dropping down from the Champions League (inc. 8 third placed group teams) and there will be plenty of other top teams in the initial draw.

I would rather that we played our first XI in the PL every game, and rested players for the Europa League group stages. If we then progress, depending on PL progress it's far easier to choose which competition to prioritise.

Goals, corporate style.

- prioritise and secure long term deals with most valuable resellable assets

- target a long and sustained European campaign with a focus on achieving silverware

- move on depreciated assets to generate investment funds

- reduce injury rate and games missed through injury by 25%

- secure continued premier league participation while improving our home ppg

My main hope for next season is that our players are fully rested and recover from their injuries. We are a bloody good team when all are fit, but severely over-stretched when the strains and knocks take their toll. Like many others, I want key players and the manager to stay.

As for expectations, City to sharpen up and put poor opposition sides to the sword whilst still putting in creditable performances against mega-rich clubs, challenge for a European place again, and of course, another Cup Final would be fantastic.

Yes, he applauded all sides of the ground out on his own. It did look like a farewell. Would he have still done it if we'd won? Probably. Doesn't mean to say anyone will pay what he's worth to us or that he's desperate to get away.

Don't forget that it's Afcon next January - so we'll lose Wilf, Nacho and Amartey for at least a month.

Think putting all our eggs into the European basket in sacrifice of the league is nieve, it would only take 1 mistake and we are knocked out and its not like we don't have several players that aren't prone to making errors that cost us goals.
I think with a fit squad we are a match for most teams and finishing in the top 4 is very realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263