Next Season's squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this is a fans site and that a certain amount of fantasy might be acceptable but some of this, well really!

Waghorn has got to be £2-3 million. Spearing, were Liverpool to release him, £1 million plus. I do not think that we're in that ball park.

Presuming Pearson stays (and I have to say that I am not 100% sure that Redditch is wrong), then he will build from the back. We need a right back, left back cover and he'll probably take another central defender.

Oakley seems to be a spent force, and so next priority has to be central midfield - we only have King and Wellens.

I would imagine that one new striker will come in on loan.

If Liverpool were to release him, he would be free.. no?

Spearing played a grand total of 3 league games for Liverpool, how he would be worth 1mill+ is beyond me.

Spearing played a grand total of 3 league games for Liverpool, how he would be worth 1mill+ is beyond me.

A young player's ability and potential is often not reflected in the number of first team games he's played, particularly for players at big clubs where there's a lot of competition for places.

Jack Hobbs played one game for Lincoln, before being sold to Liverpool for £750,000.

Chelsea paid £5 million for Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo, after poaching them from the Leeds academy.

The need for a back-up left back has been mentioned. With Berner well into his thirties the left back may need to play fairly regularly. I do not blame the club for misjudging McGivern. With Mattock in the squad they would have seemed well off for leftbacks. Mattock's sudden and unpleasant departure created an emergency. McGivern arrived very quickly and a youngster from Manchester City would have seemed an ideal loan.
I would like to see Morrison used as a centreback next year and wonder whether Arsenal would be willing to sell Gilbert.

The figure of £1 million for Spearing has been mentioned. I think this is too high. Spearing is no where near the first team and would be able to leave without a fee when his contract is up. There comes a time when a young player needs first team football.

Gilbert was part of one of the worst defences in the league this season, and looked aweful when I saw him, albeit on highlights etc.

The figure of £1 million for Spearing has been mentioned. I think this is too high. Spearing is no where near the first team and would be able to leave without a fee when his contract is up. There comes a time when a young player needs first team football.

Spearing is only 22; a transfer fee would still be payable at the end of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669