Odds to win the title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seems the bookies dont agree with you either.
Any chance you can let us know the starting line ups for both leicester and preston for the first game of the season then please.

You forget that bookies don't just set their books on what they think will happen, but also to attract bets.

Better supported clubs have more fans who will put money on their club out of affection rather than good sense. This means that the bookie can offer shorter odds without worrying about not taking any money. Meanwhile in order to attract money to smaller clubs their odds may become longer in order to attract money and balance the book.

This is why it is rarely a good idea to put money on the national team/representitive in any major sporting contest, every mug punter in the country is doing it, meaning the odds are crap while their opponents almost always offer good value.

I think this is happening with the Preston odds big time (note how short the odds are for Newcastle - can you really see a club in such organisational and financial straits succeeding? Not one time in three though, which is what the promotion odds imply). There are a lot of clubs in this division who will easily attract money - Newcastle, Boro, Ipswich, QPR, Cardiff, Forest, Derby and City. The odds on these clubs tend to be poor value (especially Newcastle, QPR and Forest IMO). There are some less fashionable clubs whose odds are higher as a result, and I feel that Preston's are unusually good value.

Let me put it another way - Who would you expect to finish the season higher in the league? The team whose last five record reads 6th, 15th, 7th, 4th, 5th, or the team whose last five reads -, 22nd, 19th, 16th, 15th? Even allowing for somekind of benefit from promotion, that's a big ask. If you expect Preston to finish higher than Leicester this season you have to ask why their odds for promotion are longer.

You forget that bookies don't just set their books on what they think will happen, but also to attract bets.

Better supported clubs have more fans who will put money on their club out of affection rather than good sense. This means that the bookie can offer shorter odds without worrying about not taking any money. Meanwhile in order to attract money to smaller clubs their odds may become longer in order to attract money and balance the book.

This is why it is rarely a good idea to put money on the national team/representitive in any major sporting contest, every mug punter in the country is doing it, meaning the odds are crap while their opponents almost always offer good value.

I think this is happening with the Preston odds big time (note how short the odds are for Newcastle - can you really see a club in such organisational and financial straits succeeding? Not one time in three though, which is what the promotion odds imply). There are a lot of clubs in this division who will easily attract money - Newcastle, Boro, Ipswich, QPR, Cardiff, Forest, Derby and City. The odds on these clubs tend to be poor value (especially Newcastle, QPR and Forest IMO). There are some less fashionable clubs whose odds are higher as a result, and I feel that Preston's are unusually good value.

Let me put it another way - Who would you expect to finish the season higher in the league? The team whose last five record reads 6th, 15th, 7th, 4th, 5th, or the team whose last five reads -, 22nd, 19th, 16th, 15th? Even allowing for somekind of benefit from promotion, that's a big ask. If you expect Preston to finish higher than Leicester this season you have to ask why their odds for promotion are longer.

Well you seem alot more clued up on betting than i do so fair enough but as i was trying to get through to willow last week leicesters team and manager this season will be completely different from the team and manager (s) that finished 22nd 19th 16th and 15th and i would also suspect so will prestons so untill a ball is kicked nobody can say how good or bad any side will be and that is fact,So to your question "who would you expect to finish the season higher in league" my answer would be ask me again on august the 9th.

What does HF think, he knows **** all about the betting industry as well.

Dont bother trying to use logic, they will still argue against you :icon_wink

From looking at the odds I would say Sheff U look like a decent bet

Had a dream that we were total shite last night, save your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669