Off Field Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
You implied it when you said that nobody wants to see a return of sloped terraces.

I didn't say that.

Maybe you should read what I actually wrote.

Well this is just going over old ground again isn't it? I could say, well actually, the seat being there might even STOP you falling or I could say in a standing area there is more likelihood of people tripping over each other due to more restricted space.

You're clearly not understanding the point I'm making.
Let's move it out of the football ground and into your house, and see which of these you think is safer:
You're standing at the top of the stairs, looking down. Someone is sitting on the step below you. Someone pushes you from behind.
You're standing on your doorstep looking outside. Someone pushes you from behind.

I believe a large crowd of people is far more difficult to marshal than one that is split up.
What's that got to do with anything?
You can have a small crowd standing on a terrace and a large crowd sitting in seats.

Regarding the Brentford fire, how does this prove seating was unsafe just because it was in a seating area? The same thing could easily have happened in a standing area. All that proved was that wood catches fire, so it is not a great idea to make stadium seats or what have you out of flammable materials. Just another example of the evolution of the game as a result of past incidents.

It was Bradford. And you're missing the point yet again. The point I was making was how easy it is to evacuate part of the ground in an emergency. It takes longer to evacuate a seating area. Therefore more people died than would have done if they'd been standing.

No, why don't you ****ing shut up ****face? Who the **** do you think you are, you festering wankstain? If you seriously think that the people that make these decisions are the most knowledgeable people available in the subject, then you are even more of a ****ing idiot than you obviously are, you ****ing clueless, ignorant prick

Apart from all that, would you like to be his friend...?

I haven't time to respond in depth, but in all fairness Shaun, you've displayed that you haven't got the first notion about standing areas or crowds for that matter. Not a clue.

No, why don't you ****ing shut up ****face? Who the **** do you think you are, you festering wankstain? If you seriously think that the people that make these decisions are the most knowledgeable people available in the subject, then you are even more of a ****ing idiot than you obviously are, you ****ing clueless, ignorant prick
:icon_lol: 1 hour and 16 minutes between these posts. What the feck did you do between them? :icon_lol:

Private Eye have a standard phrase they use when telling people to **** off. They refer them to 'Arkel vs Pressdram'.

In future, if anybody pisses me off I am going to refer them to 'Post #40' :icon_lol:

Reminds me to make my occasional foray 800 metres down the road to watch the egg chasers, stand in their Crumby stand which is the dead spit of the enclosure in front of the old main stand at Filbo.

Pros

The standing obviously
Drink beer while standing
No segregation
Leicester almost invariably win
A lot of fit birds follow the egg chasers

Cons

It isn't proper football despite what the club name is.
Lester the Tiger's improbably tight shorts - wrong on so many levels
Apparently in danger of imminent death through stampeding.

With all due respect to Macky there are many who would receive rather serious punishment for that....

Just sayin' like.

With all due respect to Macky there are many who would receive rather serious punishment for that....

Just sayin' like.

Baby Jebus will punish him when the time comes, and he knows it

Private Eye have a standard phrase they use when telling people to **** off. They refer them to 'Arkel vs Pressdram'.

In future, if anybody pisses me off I am going to refer them to 'Post #40' :icon_lol:

I'm having 'Post #40' as a T-shirt.

Just sayin' like.

Don't worry about it, water off a duck's back, god punished him enough when he made him a complete and utter tool.

Jeff said:
I didn't say that.

Maybe you should read what I actually wrote.

You're clearly not understanding the point I'm making.
Let's move it out of the football ground and into your house, and see which of these you think is safer:
You're standing at the top of the stairs, looking down. Someone is sitting on the step below you. Someone pushes you from behind.
You're standing on your doorstep looking outside. Someone pushes you from behind.

What's that got to do with anything?
You can have a small crowd standing on a terrace and a large crowd sitting in seats.

It was Bradford. And you're missing the point yet again. The point I was making was how easy it is to evacuate part of the ground in an emergency. It takes longer to evacuate a seating area. Therefore more people died than would have done if they'd been standing.

a.) I read what you wrote, you said that nobody is calling for a return of the days of sloped terracing, which implied that they are calling for flat level standing areas. To wich I replied I can't see the benefit at a football match, regardless of whether or not there is a safety issue there.

b.) What sort of an analogy is that? Are you trying to say that the latter is a less serious fall than the former? That's a very blinkered comparison, what if you are pushed from a standing position from a higher height versus being pushed from a lower height with someone stood in front of you? You don't offer any proof that standing is safer than seating using that analogy. Ultimately as I said to that muppet on the other page, there are people who are better informed than both me and you who have likely studied these past incidents. It's not like these measures are introduced purely to annoy people.

c.) I'm implying that's it's easier for safety staff to marshal people who are already separated and keep them in an organised form than it is to marshal a mass crowd. What's that got to do with anything? Well it's one of the factors that will determine how efficently and speedily you can evacuate an area...

d.) Yes Bradford, my bad, I got too caught up trying to explain my point of view. The point I'm making is you can't prove that for shit - it's your opinion not fact, it's all very well you saying you can evacuate it quicker than a seating area but you can't prove it, and even if you could evacuate it quicker, if a number of people get trampled in the process it's counter productive isn't it? For all you know there may well have been more people killed if the area had been a standing area.

Last edited:

And as for you, judging by that post I'd say it's highly likely they are more educated than you.

This is rather worrying. Frankly Jeff terraces seem to be the last of your problems I am concerned about the word "someone" - surely you must have a suspect. It does seem to me that "someone" is sending you a message.
Has anyone increased the insurance on your life recently?

a.) I read what you wrote, you said that nobody is calling for a return of the days of sloped terracing, which implied that they are calling for flat level standing areas.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. This is what I wrote: "It might be dangerous if you have huge steep terraces like we used to have. Not many people are calling for the return of those days."

That doesn't imply I want flat level standing areas, it implies that I want small standing areas with shallow slopes.

b.) What sort of an analogy is that?

The sort that I thought you would understand. But obviously I was wrong.

The point I was making is that if you're standing up and you get pushed from behind on a shallow standing area, you're less likely to fall over because you can just step forwards. And if you do fall over, you don't fall far.

On the other hand if you're pushed when you're standing in a seated area you're more likely to fall because you can't step forwards to stop the fall, you're more likely to trip over the seat in front. And with seated areas being so steep these days the fall is likely to be more dangerous.

You don't offer any proof that standing is safer than seating using that analogy.
I wasn't offering proof, I was asking which you thought was safer. Which of the two examples above do you think is safer?

It's not like these measures are introduced purely to annoy people.

I don't know, Thatcher hated football and I'm sure she'd have banned it if she could. She must be very happy that so many people have been annoyed by this.

c.) I'm implying that's it's easier for safety staff to marshal people who are already separated and keep them in an organised form than it is to marshal a mass crowd. What's that got to do with anything? Well it's one of the factors that will determine how efficently and speedily you can evacuate an area...

Why should there be more people in a standing area than a seated area?

The point I'm making is you can't prove that for shit - it's your opinion not fact, it's all very well you saying you can evacuate it quicker than a seating area but you can't prove it

Let me try and explain it again just to see if I can make you understand.

In an emergency evacuation, in a standing area, all you have to do is step forward a little (probably no more than ten yards) and you're on the pitch. You might have to duck below a barrier and step over small wall to get there, but it's something that can happen very quickly.

In a seating area you either have to clamber over seats, or queue and wait your turn to get to the steps.

If you really can't see that the first option is quicker I wonder what planet you're on.

Last edited:

Just sayin' like.

He started it, I was just standing up for myself. What type of 'serious punishment' did you have in mind?

And as for you, judging by that post I'd say it's highly likely they are more educated than you.

Who exactly are 'they' and why on Earth should I be concerned as to how educated they are?

As it goes, I've had very little education but what the craven **** has any of that got to do with anything?

I stood on the popular side at Filbert street in the 42,000 record crowd, In the kop at anfield in '62, on the big bank at Hillsborough in a 68,000 crowd, and the Holt end at Villa Park in a 65,000 throng. Watching the football was as safe as houses but getting out afterwards was a nightmare! The old wembley in the end terraces with 100,000 was no better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00