One for the Atheists amongst us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't making that point at all :102:

I was merely saying that religion is also for normal, rational, sane people as well as for thickos, fantasists and the desperate
Surely, subsciption to a religeous belief system is anything but a rational act?

Where is the rationality?

Well if someone sits down and considers all the evidence (or lack of it, depending on your point of view), and then carefully considers their own view of the 'cosmos', and everything that goes with it - and then makes a deliberate choice that, on the balance of probabilities and given the options available to them, a particular religion might just contain all of the answers that they are looking for - then he is surely making a rational decision ?

Simply because their conclusions do not match yours (or indeed mine) then it doesn't mean that they have not acted rationally

then he is surely making a rational decision ?
If he's sat down and weighed up all the pros and cons, looked at the evidence, and still told himself that God exists, then I'd say he was ****ing mental.

But as you say, it's all about opinions. I will always do the decent thing and respect the opinions of God believers no matter how wrong they are.

If he's sat down and weighed up all the pros and cons, looked at the evidence, and still told himself that God exists, then I'd say he was ****ing mental.

But as you say, it's all about opinions. I will always do the decent thing and respect the opinions of God believers no matter how wrong they are.

I do the same, up to a point....but make an exception for "creationists". I regard those people as seriously loony, to the extent that I find it hard to accept that they genuinely believe their professed views.

I do the same, up to a point....but make an exception for "creationists". I regard those people as seriously loony, to the extent that I find it hard to accept that they genuinely believe their professed views.

they believe it enough to build a museum

and they're nowhere near as loony as the Scientologists

:icon_bigg

When I was studying Evolution I was being lectured by a "Born Again Christian" who didn't believe a word he was telling us :icon_bigg

If everything that dies goes to heaven then that means all of the wasps I have splatted will be there, with billions of others, waiting for me. I can't believe in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46