One More Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we stated some time ago, the aim is to sign a striker whose main asset is pace, as none of the current frontmen have this as a main strength & it therefore provides with different options to throw at the opposition either at the start of a game due to a perceived weakness in this area or via the subs bench to change the pattern of a game.

Foxes_Trust said:
As we stated some time ago, the aim is to sign a striker whose main asset is pace, as none of the current frontmen have this as a main strength & it therefore provides with different options to throw at the opposition either at the start of a game due to a perceived weakness in this area or via the subs bench to change the pattern of a game.
he can have all the pace in the world but if he can't finish then whats the point!

Recruiting a left-back and a striker are now the priority for manager Craig Levein as he aims to put the finishing touches to his new-look Leicester City squad. Yesterday's signing of Swedish international Nils-Eric Johansson sorted out the centre of his defence and now Levein is turning his attention elsewhere.

He said: "We need one more striker. We have Dion Dublin, David Connolly, Lee Morris and Mark De Vries at the moment. Young Chris O'Grady might come through and we are hopeful of that but we also have our eye on someone."
Even though the left-back berth wants attention, the need for another striker signifies a slight change of emphasis and Levein admits he has been building from the back so far, though he could lose another defender as Matt Heath was in talks with Coventry yesterday concerning a possible £200,000 move to rejoin his former boss Micky Adams. He has also been tracked by Championship rivals Hull and Plymouth.
Levein said: "The defence has been the priority. Losing Matt Elliott, Martin Keown and Nikos Dabizas out of the squad and with Matt Heath on his way, that department had to be strengthened, preferably with younger players.
"There are 46 games with a smaller squad and there is no way players in their 30s are going to be able to handle all of that, so that is why we have looked to younger men.
"They also have to be durable. Johansson has not missed a day's training in four years! So that is a factor.
"Now we are looking at a left-back, someone I thought I might have in by now. I am trying to get it done as quickly as possible, and get them working as a unit.
"The good thing for me is that I am not going to be sitting at the end of the pre-season with several players coming in at the last moment and then have to fit them in.
"We are still in the early stages and with Johansson I could put out a back four now. But I want to get things done on a left-back and striker before the weekend if possible."
City's moves to bring Darren Kenton to the Walkers Stadium on a full-time basis, though, appear to be at a dead-end.
Chief executive Tim Davies told supporters at a fan forum on Tuesday that Kenton is likely to stay at Southampton and be a part of their squad during the new Championship season.
Davies said he had contacted Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe about the possibility of signing the defender.
However, Lowe said Kenton, who spent the end of last season on loan at City, is under contract for another year and is likely to feature in Southampton manager Harry Redknapp's plans.
City open their pre-season fixtures at Kettering on Sunday but the main focus is the two-game tour to Norway next week. By then, Levein should have everything in place.

Told you:icon_cool

I think what CL meant was a centre back that comes forward for set pieces!!!!.....................i'll get mi coat..............

If Heath goes I'd still feel more comfortable with another CB as well as those two.

woznotwos said:
I think what CL meant was a centre back that comes forward for set pieces!!!!.....................i'll get mi coat..............

I think he might mean a midfielder who gets forward a lot. ;)

Spot on Durham. He got four goals on his Jambos debut in the Edinburgh derby.

drummindefender said:
i say he didn't because most hearts fans didn't seem to rate him except for that game against hibs

Most Hearts fans I spoke to when I was in Edinburgh just after he signed didn't have a bad word to say about him, in fact they idolised him.

DurhamFox said:
Most Hearts fans I spoke to when I was in Edinburgh just after he signed didn't have a bad word to say about him, in fact they idolised him.
we must of been speaking to different fans :icon_eek:

As John and Yoko said,

'All we are saying is give (De)Vries a chance'! He has been working hard, and wants to be a success. Lets give him a chance to prove himself when he is fully fit. There is enough intolerance in this world without turning on each other. He wears our shirt so give him a chance!

I can see it now, all the kop, scarves and lighters aloft, swaying in unison singing thier hearts out......

'All we are saying is give (De)Vries a chance'

Everybody's talking about Bagism,Shagism,Dragism,Madism Ragism,Tagism,Thisism,Thatism, Isn't it the most

All we are saying, is give DeVries a chance!:icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570