Paddy McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO he shoudl never have been given it in the first place. a) what has he done to deserve it? and b) i don't think he's good enough to warrant playing in every match

To be fair he does give his all and i appreciate that. It doesn't mean he should be the captain. He let us down on Saturday

We will have to agree to disagree then because IMO he is good enough to be captain. He is young and he will get better with time. I do see shades of Steve Walsh in him and I don't think he is the finished article yet...but I think he is the strongest candidate for the armband, and have always felt that he will be a very good captain in the future for us.

He let us down on Saturday, but last time I checked he wasn't the only one.

It is unfortunate that we have to all come on here and moan about our team at the moment. If I could just see some evidence that the players were putting in everything they had I could perhaps live with being bad. If everyone put in the same degree of commitment and entusiasm as paddy would we be in this mess?

Tough times.:frown:

The whole Villa thing as well pisses me off. it is visible proof that we are not getting the best out of our players.

We have seen what they can do when they try...so why do they show us so rarely!

Chill he will.

Perhaps it will be a bumpy ride for a bit but so long as we can get some players in and battle this season things will get better.

Can't see an immediate turn around though.

I agree i think we could be looking at another 2 seasons in this league tbh.

Paddy is our captain now get off his fecking back. Yes he makes a few mistakes, but I don't think you can call into question his committment and enthusiasm. He gives his all and broke his f*cking nose proving it...then carried on until the end of the game. No other f*cker in this current team would do that.

He isn't the problem and IMO no one in the defence is. Its the absolute mockery of a midfield that we have and the few options we've got up front.

The problems are:

1. he's the worst distributor of the ball in the team. McAuley is reasonable, Kis is often poor but McCarthy is f*cking shocking. His only ball is a big HOOF to nowhere even when there is a simple pass to the midfield.

2. He loses the plot too often. Shouting in the refs face only works if you know when to when to walk away, too.

3. He's positionally poor. That's why there's so many suicidal challenges to get the yellow card.

It's not problematic when the rest of the team plays well - it's when things go wrong, his weaknesses become apparent. ANd then his commitment becomes a liability.

I agree i think we could be looking at another 2 seasons in this league tbh.

Derby provides me with some hope. They have only been with a new manager since the summer and are close to the top of the league. I think if we spend wisely we could possibly get out of this sooner.

Now who is doing the spending is another matter.

The problems are:

1. he's the worst distributor of the ball in the team. McAuley is reasonable, Kis is often poor but McCarthy is f*cking shocking. His only ball is a big HOOF to nowhere even when there is a simple pass to the midfield.

2. He loses the plot too often. Shouting in the refs face only works if you know when to when to walk away, too.

3. He's positionally poor. That's why there's so many suicidal challenges to get the yellow card.

It's not problematic when the rest of the team plays well - it's when things go wrong, his weaknesses become apparent. ANd then his commitment becomes a liability.

He might be one of the worst distributors in the team but I would put that down to the fact that no bugger in the midfield ever gets close enough to have a touch.

We will have to agree to disagree as I have already with Muzz...I think he is one of our better players.

Last edited:
The problems are:

Everyone has an opinion but I feel that you must watch a different paddy mac to me. He has to be the most consistant player we have, hence why he was given the captains armband in the first place.

1. He is solid at the back and is willing to put in challenges, okay some may be miss timed but I would rather see a blue shirt with commitment rather than what most of them out there display.

2. Shouting at refs just goes to prove his level of passion for the club and the shirt i love so dearly, only maybe hume can even rival his level of passion.

3. he is sometimes caught out of position but this to me is when he is dragged away from doing his job by the inneptitude of the others around him. This si something that will come with experience and unless we stick with him he will be another young talent waste by the fickle fans of lcfc.

I just cant see what you see in him Im afraid and I worry that you are basing your opinion on his game on saturday which i agree was very poor.

Just to add my pennyworth to the McCarthy debate - I think he was a tad unlucky to get the 1st booking, for I was watching Styles closely during the dispute and I am sure he was reaching into his pocket for the card while Maybury was haranguing him. Paddy then pulled Maybury aside and was just about immediatley booked. It seemed the card was originally intended for Maybury and was awarded to Patrick as he was first in line.

But with the sarcastic clapping Patrick could well have landed a 2nd yellow straight off too.

Still wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't have been given the stupid first yellow. also i'd still find it debateable whether it was worthy of a second yellow.
As the captain of the side he is rightly the only one who can approach a ref and ask about his decision, and therefore should not have been book as that was what the ref said he booked him for. Got no problem with him being booked for the second offence, but it should have been one yellow and no red. It seems that Styles applied this rule diffrently in this division than he would have done in the Premiership. They are controled by the premiership so he wouldn't want to offend any of them.

Just to add my pennyworth to the McCarthy debate - I think he was a tad unlucky to get the 1st booking, for I was watching Styles closely during the dispute and I am sure he was reaching into his pocket for the card while Maybury was haranguing him. Paddy then pulled Maybury aside and was just about immediatley booked. It seemed the card was originally intended for Maybury and was awarded to Patrick as he was first in line.

But with the sarcastic clapping Patrick could well have landed a 2nd yellow straight off too.

The clapping was the only genuinely petulant thing he did on saturday, pushing maybury (a more experienced professional) out of the way should have been good captaincy, preventing maybes getting one. He was unlucky and for me we look more organised at the back with him than with the other playing together.

As for his distribution, would anyone (except the opposition) seriously pass to any of our midfielders?

The captain has no more right than any other player to talk to the ref. Dissent is dissent, whether it's the captain or not.

its more expected for a captain than other players to have words with an official, unfortunately though paddy's choice of words aren't the best

I just cant see what you see in him Im afraid and I worry that you are basing your opinion on his game on saturday which i agree was very poor.

No worries. But it's not last weekend, or even this season but since he's been here.

If the team had been playing well, he would possibly be a great captain and all the positional/passing stuff wouldn't be an issue. It's when they're shite, like now and last season, his deficiencies become apparent.

its more expected for a captain than other players to have words with an official, unfortunately though paddy's choice of words aren't the best

Most refs I have dealt with would rather speak to the captain and then let him sort his team out rather than talking to a player directly, but i guess it may be different at different levels.

The captain has no more right than any other player to talk to the ref. Dissent is dissent, whether it's the captain or not.
I'm not 100% sure Jeff, but I do believe there is a rule that the only olayer that can approach a ref is the captain, and thought that PMc did the right thing in pushing all our players away at the time to talk to him and got rewarded with a card. Maybe they should have done what the preiership lads do and gone in on block, then he wouldn't have known who to book.

I'm not 100% sure Jeff, but I do believe there is a rule that the only olayer that can approach a ref is the captain

There's no such rule.

From FIFA's website:

Does a team captain have the right to question a decision of the referee?

No, neither the captain nor any other player has the right to show disagreement with a decision taken by the referee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669