Paddy McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know McCarthy's words for the first yellow card could have been expeltives. I know that in the rule book it says it warrants a red but its seems of late refs have left it to their own version.

Last edited:
There's no such rule.

From FIFA's website:

Does a team captain have the right to question a decision of the referee?

No, neither the captain nor any other player has the right to show disagreement with a decision taken by the referee.

Is he not allowed to ask why a certain decision has been taken...that isn't disagreement per se it is asking for a point of clarification.

Last edited:
There's no such rule.

From FIFA's website:

No, neither the captain nor any other player has the right to show disagreement with a decision taken by the referee.

its definately not a rule but an option often taken by referees to show some sort of reason when dealing with decisions that are controversial, a quick word with the captain and it makes it look like you're taking some notice. it shouldn't be an issue as you should put up and shut up once a decisions made but we all know making your mouth go does work occasionally. paddy isn't the brightest though and probably thought before starting with "oi, ref" he's just shout "f*** f***in f*** f*** c***" and see where that gets him....emoitional yes, reasonable no. similar to me when playing football

The only doubt in my mind was whether contact was made. If not it would have counted as dangerous play and an indirect free kick should have been given.
Seems strange that the Wed lads I know didn't think it was after viewing it. In fact most of the player had turned around to go back upfield before they realised he'd given a penalty.

its definately not a rule but an option often taken by referees to show some sort of reason when dealing with decisions that are controversial, a quick word with the captain and it makes it look like you're taking some notice. it shouldn't be an issue as you should put up and shut up once a decisions made but we all know making your mouth go does work occasionally. paddy isn't the brightest though and probably thought before starting with "oi, ref" he's just shout "f*** f***in f*** f*** c***" and see where that gets him....emoitional yes, reasonable no. similar to me when playing football

Would have got a red had he done that, he 'claimed' he just asked the ref why the peno had been given. If true, it is another demonstration of a referee that is unaware of the rules.

Do you think he calmly went up to the ref and asked him what he gave the penalty for?

Obviously i do not know what he said, however, he was not worked up and shouting in the ref's face as he has done on previous occasions.

Highlights here btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m6O_-KFJfM

Paddy's second yellow was very harsh watching that, i didnt see all that well on saturday, dont show him recieving the first yellow. Then it is difficult squeezing 5 goals into a minutes worth of action for ITV!!

I was in front of that Paddy challenge and you can not see it from that angle but he pulled him and went with his fist in the process.

Look at Wednesday's 4th goal and notice the very poor refeering by Styles, he obstructs Stearman's path to close down their player. Very poor from Twatles.

In fact looking again, he does the same on our goal and feck me, he was their midfield lynchpin on their 2nd goal

Last edited:
There's no such rule.

From FIFA's website:

I bow to your greater knowledge of the rules, but it's hard to take when you see it week in, week out in the premiership. Surely the same should apply in this division. The ref should apply the same principles in any match he takes charge, not differ because the premiership managers hold more say than we do.

Those goals get worse every time I see them. McAuley and Kisnorbo fall over so easily.

I bow to your greater knowledge of the rules, but it's hard to take when you see it week in, week out in the premiership. Surely the same should apply in this division. The ref should apply the same principles in any match he takes charge, not differ because the premiership managers hold more say than we do.

As far as the laws of the game are concerned the captain is just another player, he has no more right to speak to the ref than any other player does. It's what players say to the ref that can be the problem, rather than which player is doing it.

The question is whether McCarthy should be our captain with the kind of disciplinary record that he has got. Only a third of the season gone and he is already serving his second suspension.

I don't think McCarthy left the referee any other course of action on either of the occasions on which he was shown a yellow card. To pull back a man who is going nowhere when you are already on a yellow card is sheer stupidity.

well said bocster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670