Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the acute shock of that last thirty seconds has sent people a little bit mental

It'll be Dave Bassett next, then Mike Bassett, and finishing up with Bertie Bassett

Takes allsorts, I suppose...

I did wonder if Chris Powell was, subtly, putting his hat into the ring. Without saying anything to upset his current employers, he did seem to be showing great loyalty to a team that was only a bit player in his career. His lack of experience would be a concern, but he has been impressive at Charlton.

OF I am just on the side of continuity at this moment but I'm not of the opinion that there is no alternative to NP and if NP left it would mean wholesale changes to the squad.
Credit must given to NP in putting together a decent group of players some who have great potential (it is for that reason I would keep him).
One of the reasons I think we ultimately failed was lack of bench strength (pardon the Amercianism) and that could be largely down to the amount of cash tied up in players like SSL, Beckford and Danns - if they could be replaced with quality then things might be different.
However 15 points from our last 17 league games is relegation form and that cannot be dismissed lightly...

Mark Hughes....Steve Kean..... Wow.

Hughes record is far, far superior to NPs. Steve Kean is an excellent coach, I didn't suggest him as manager. Several months ago, I suggested that NP recruit him as coach. If he'd done so, some of our obvious issues may have been addressed.

NP is very capable at sorting out a team in the shit. He did it with us, Southampton and Hull. I'm sure he'll do it again. But he isn't any good at anything more and has never achieved anything more than that.

Would you seriously prefer NP to MON or RdiM? Or even your preferred other, be that Powell or Lennon or whoever? After almost 200 games, haven't we seen what we need to in order to know NPs limitations?

If we're in the same position in a years time, do we go again, and again, and again? When do you say that we could do better? Or don't you believe that we can?

Hughes record is far, far superior to NPs. Steve Kean is an excellent coach, I didn't suggest him as manager. Several months ago, I suggested that NP recruit him as coach. If he'd done so, some of our obvious issues may have been addressed.

NP is very capable at sorting out a team in the shit. He did it with us, Southampton and Hull. I'm sure he'll do it again. But he isn't any good at anything more and has never achieved anything more than that.

Would you seriously prefer NP to MON or RdiM? Or even your preferred other, be that Powell or Lennon or whoever? After almost 200 games, haven't we seen what we need to in order to know NPs limitations?

If we're in the same position in a years time, do we go again, and again, and again? When do you say that we could do better? Or don't you believe that we can?

Your list pretty much proves we couldn't, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Powell is the first name I've heard that isn't either complete desperation or totally unrealistic. Interesting though that anyone who wants Pearson out would want the guy who learnt his management style from Pearson and cites him as the best manager he played for.

As I've said I'm just for keeping NP more for his recruitment policy than anything else...

Powell may well have learnt a lot from NP but that doesn't mean he can't be more successful than him...

They hardly seem similar characters...

Oh come on BN. You've made some good posts recently, but surely you're taking the piss with some of the names here? I reckon homer would list some of those below Paul Ince.

More than anything, I think it speaks volumes for how much faith I have in the current incumbent.

No realistic suggestion of someone that has achieved much more than NP is a piss take. Why not? NP failed to achieve his brief and target this season and last season. He is a failure. Anyone thinking he'll suddenly become a better manager next season is deluding themselves more than someone like me who is proposing to change to someone that has already achieved much more than NPs ever done.

Your list pretty much proves we couldn't, doesn't it?

Herer I fully respect your opinion but dont understand your logic...

You dismiss Hughes for instance who has a far wider and better CV than NP - yes he has was particularly poor at QPR but he did a good job at Wales, Blackburn and Fulham - he was in a impossible situation at Man City...
Why does that make him a worse candidate for Leicester manager than NP other than continuity...?

Last edited:
OF I am just on the side of continuity at this moment but I'm not of the opinion that there is no alternative to NP and if NP left it would mean wholesale changes to the squad.
Credit must given to NP in putting together a decent group of players some who have great potential (it is for that reason I would keep him).
One of the reasons I think we ultimately failed was lack of bench strength (pardon the Amercianism) and that could be largely down to the amount of cash tied up in players like SSL, Beckford and Danns - if they could be replaced with quality then things might be different.
However 15 points from our last 17 league games is relegation form and that cannot be dismissed lightly...

I would disagree with very little that you have said - except that I am on the other side of the stay/go divide. I do, also, wonder if NP's style of management leans towards a tight squad of players, all pulling together, rather than the modern large squad, in which players, not playing regularly, might need their egos stroking.

Powell would only be a realistic option if the club anf the fans were happy to give him 3 seasons at least IMO.

Which clearly will never ever happen here.

Powell would only be a realistic option if the club anf the fans were happy to give him 3 seasons at least IMO.

Which clearly will never ever happen here.

Be lucky if he got three games

More than anything, I think it speaks volumes for how much faith I have in the current incumbent.

No realistic suggestion of someone that has achieved much more than NP is a piss take. Why not? NP failed to achieve his brief and target this season and last season. He is a failure. Anyone thinking he'll suddenly become a better manager next season is deluding themselves more than someone like me who is proposing to change to someone that has already achieved much more than NPs ever done.

On your first point, that is entirely valid, as it is based on your opinion.

On your second point, perhaps you could remind me what McClaren and McLeish did in their most recent posts in this division?

I have no problem with people debating the merits of NP and there are some who would be happy for him to be sacked. I think the line of "anyone but NP" is a mistake IMO. If there were a manager who was sounded out and willing to come here, and the board feel they are a better option than NP, then fine. Me personally, I just don't get the "sack the manager, we don't know who will replace him but get rid anyway" brigade. If you want an example of this strategy, please see Wolverhampton Wanderers.

At the end of the day, it's irrelevant what we all think though. It's the owners who have to decide. I just hope they make decisions based on knowledge and strategy, rather than haphazard hiring and firing.

Last edited:
After almost 200 games, haven't we seen what we need to in order to know NPs limitations?

During the mong-fest that was SAF's retirement soiree, they were showing old footage of United fans wanting him out after a year or so as he wasn't taking the club anywhere.

Makes you think doesn't it.

I would disagree with very little that you have said - except that I am on the other side of the stay/go divide. I do, also, wonder if NP's style of management leans towards a tight squad of players, all pulling together, rather than the modern large squad, in which players, not playing regularly, might need their egos stroking.

I think you make a good point - ultimately you can only judge NP when he has a full squad of his own men...thats why I stray on the side of keeping him...
It appears he can work with KS and Nugent and he has had to tolerate Konch this season - obviously he cant get on with SSL, Beckford and Danns...
It has always concerned me though that he never seems to sign experienced players and that he seems to struggle to manage them...

Whatever manager we have for next season (including NP) is going to need to make changes to the squad. If we are going to get rid of him, lets do it now and give any new manager a good pre season to prepare for next year.

Whilst I believe that consistency and stability are key. We need the right kind of consistency first and I don't think that NP has given us that.

We got to the playoffs on the back of a freak January and a bonus win at Forest, helped along by other results in our favour. But for those last three games I suspect we wouldn't be having this conversation and Pearson would be gone by now.

Whatever manager we have for next season (including NP) is going to need to make changes to the squad. If we are going to get rid of him, lets do it now and give any new manager a good pre season to prepare for next year.

Whilst I believe that consistency and stability are key. We need the right kind of consistency first and I don't think that NP has given us that.

We got to the playoffs on the back of a freak January and a bonus win at Forest, helped along by other results in our favour. But for those last three games I suspect we wouldn't be having this conversation and Pearson would be gone by now.

I heartily agree with this: either dismiss him this week, OR make a bold statement that Nigel Pearson WILL lead City next season - not one of those mealy mouthed, "Nigel Pearson is our manager" type remarks that could mean something, or nothing.

I remember the early 90's, a certain manager took 3 attempts in the play offs to get us promoted.
Would Brian Little be given the time today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669