Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the mong-fest that was SAF's retirement soiree, they were showing old footage of United fans wanting him out after a year or so as he wasn't taking the club anywhere.

Makes you think doesn't it.

I was wondering how long before this tired, lame, old example was trotted out. AF had already achieved a massive amount as a manager before going to OT. It is in no way comparable to the situation with NP, unless you're seriously comparing the two? Following your logic, we'd be managed by David Pleat in the Leicestershire Senior League right now.

I'm all for supporting a manager that indicates reason for optimism. The only managers in post that I've called to be sacked before they were are Pleat, Taylor, Sousa and Pearson. The common denominator with each of these is demonstrating clear and obvious shortcomings on and off the field with no capacity or recognition that they're doing anything wrong. With the first three, I advocated their sacking well before most, only for the majority to jump on the bandwagon eventually. It will be the same with NP and it almost was a few weeks ago.

I remember the early 90's, a certain manager took 3 attempts in the play offs to get us promoted.
Would Brian Little be given the time today?

An interesting comparison...

He got us to Wembley in his first season...and his second season...and his third season...

But most importantly he didn't have a pot to p... in and had to sell our best player...

Walsheh and Tagz

I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought you were trying to convince us there were some good out of work managers available. Then you mentioned McLeish, McLaren, Hughes, Warnock and Kean. It's be interesting to see how many of the Pearson out brigade would be happy with any combination of them.

It's very interesting that these names are rejected because they are percieved on the whole as failures...
This time last year Steve Bruce would also have been mentioned in this company...

Last edited:
We got to the playoffs on the back of a freak January and a bonus win at Forest, helped along by other results in our favour.

I wouldn't agree that January was a freak, rather it was a freak how we deteriorated so quickly from February onwards.

I still think we should have gone up automatically but for whatever it was that happened after January.

I wouldn't agree that January was a freak, rather it was a freak how we deteriorated so quickly from February onwards.

I still think we should have gone up automatically but for whatever it was that happened after January.

I totally agree but the fact is we got 15 points from our last 17 games why is that not the norm?

The only managers in post that I've called to be sacked before they were are Pleat, Taylor, Sousa and Pearson.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean you were fully supportive of Craig Leveine before he was dismissed?

To remind you, at the time we had no wins in ten league games and we were stuck in the bottom three.

Which means 53 from the first 29. That's why 15 from 17 wasn't the norm!

I truly hope you're right and the last few weeks do give me hope...

But you could have argued your point to defend Peter Taylor after the Wycombe debacle...

Lets hope we don't get Bolton at home first game of next season...

Is that seriously what you took from that article?

That was what the article said and that was what I quoted...

The only fact was that Lennon was at the game - his motivation who knows?

Managers go and watch other teams all the time - why wouldn't he be looking at any number of players - the article happened to mention Nugent that's all...

Personally I think it more logical that he was looking at players to buy for Celtic rather than anything else...

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone focuses on manager's out of work. It's not out of the realms of possibility that, were we to sack Pearson, we'd go for someone already employed. The likes of Zola, Freedman, Powell and McCarthy, Davies and even Holloway would all be on my list of possible successors. Of course if Watford go up, Zola would obviously turn us down, but they've still got another 90 minutes to play in order to decide that and should they fall at the final hurdle, then I think Leicester would have a better squad of players (because Watford will have to start from scratch again seeing as they'll be prohibited from doing what they did this season). Freedman has done a fantastic job at Bolton and you could argue that there is no benefit for him jumping ship with a squad at Bolton that is likely to challenge next season. All of these are better candidates in my opinion than our current manager.

Last edited:
That was what the article said and that was what I quoted...

The only fact was that Lennon was at the game - his motivation who knows?

Managers go and watch other teams all the time - why wouldn't he be looking at any number of players - the article happened to mention Nugent that's all...

Personally I think it more logical that he was looking at players to buy for Celtic rather than anything else...
The sentence you refer to is "Lennon was at Leicester’s game yesterday to watch the likes of ex-England striker David Nugent, who scored in his side’s 3-1 defeat." You've taken this to mean "Nugent is off to Celtic", ignoring the rest of the story, even the preceding sentence: "Parkhead manager Lennon, who won two League Cups as a City player, will figure prominently in their plans for Pearson’s replacement."

I would suggest it's far more likely we'll take their manager than they take any of our key players. Celtic may be champions but they're still an SPL club. They're the biggest club in Scotland. That's like being the world's tallest dwarf.

I would suggest it's far more likely we'll take their manager than they take any of our key players. Celtic may be champions but they're still an SPL club. They're the biggest club in Scotland. That's like being the world's tallest dwarf.

They can still dangle the carrot of Europe though and if I were Nugent, I'd be quite realistic and realise that this may be my only opportunity to play on that stage.

I'm not saying that this is the crux of the story but if Celtic were to come in for Nugent, I think he'd quite possibly put in a transfer request

Last edited:
The sentence you refer to is "Lennon was at Leicester’s game yesterday to watch the likes of ex-England striker David Nugent, who scored in his side’s 3-1 defeat." You've taken this to mean "Nugent is off to Celtic", ignoring the rest of the story, even the preceding sentence: "Parkhead manager Lennon, who won two League Cups as a City player, will figure prominently in their plans for Pearson’s replacement."

// smiley and nod insertion //

We wouldn't want Neil Lennon ahead of NP, seriously???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669