Pearson Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that we could not continue at the same standard as we achieved during our first five games, but the fall off has been worse than anyone can have expected and, it is concerning that we show so little evidence that we will turn things around once more. Burnley are in a worse place financially and yet, they are playing with passion and are giving survival their best chance.

I still find the pre-season quotes interesting: if we are to believe what the media tell us (a big 'if', I know!), our owners were offering hefty sums to Pearson and he declined to spend a great amount. Were this to be true, then I think that we can expect his position to be 'under review', as we ruminate.

I have read people's views that we would be in an even worse position, had we spent big and still found ourselves where we now so do. Football is about speculation: if the money was available, more should have been spent and, if as some suggest, the lack of our new signings appearance in the first team is because NP was not in full control of purchases, he should have threatened resignation unless he had the final say because, he was always going to carry the can when things went wrong.

I certainly do not think that bringing Tony Pulis, or anyone else, in to replace Pearson, at this stage, is anything like a guarantee of survival. On balance, keeping Pearson is the better option BUT, he must convince the board that he has a strategy and a couple of decent signings lined up for the January window.

I have read people's views that we would be in an even worse position, had we spent big and still found ourselves where we now so do. Football is about speculation: if the money was available, more should have been spent and, if as some suggest, the lack of our new signings appearance in the first team is because NP was not in full control of purchases, he should have threatened resignation unless he had the final say because, he was always going to carry the can when things went wrong.

I certainly do not think that bringing Tony Pulis, or anyone else, in to replace Pearson, at this stage, is anything like a guarantee of survival. On balance, keeping Pearson is the better option BUT, he must convince the board that he has a strategy and a couple of decent signings lined up for the January window.

I agree with a lot what you are saying but it's a fact that if we spent big and failed, the long term impact could be massive. QPR for example are a ticking timebomb and judging from how Fernandes recently dealt with the F1 Caterham fall out, he wont hang around forever.

Remember that this league is full of complete and utter down in the bottom seven or eight

The trick is just to be slightly less shite than three of them

Can still be done without shitting a load of money down the crapper

Remember that this league is full of complete and utter down in the bottom seven or eight

The trick is just to be slightly less shite than three of them

Can still be done without shitting a load of money down the crapper

Yes but at the moment we a well and truly ****ing woeful. A serious question homer - how many more games would you like to give him?

He gets 'til Jan 1st

Anything else is just plain stupid

He gets 'til Jan 1st

Anything else is just plain stupid

Rightly or wrongly the results are playing Pearson out of his job. He isn't helping himself with his apparant lack of a sense of reality.

I assume that your Jan 1st relates to the opening of the transfer window. Unfortunately, I think it will be extremely difficult to operate in that window for all the obvious reasons. The tide was flowing for us at the start of the summer and we stuffed it up with unrealistic wage caps and wantonly unestimating the shortfalls in the squad.

I'm a don't know on Pearson...but I think a more important issue to be tested is whether Tony Pullis would agree to take a very unpromiosing job.

Can't believe we are debating Pearson's position we are one place higher than last season when we were champions :icon_lol:

Last edited:
I think it looks like Pearson is struggling with the step up. As are most of the players.

But I'm confident Pearson will get there. He's proved his ability until now but has got to keep developing his management experience.

I think some of the players will also step up to the level required. Some will, some won't and will be moved on. Time will tell on who.Â*

These owners and the directors have proved they can run our football club and progress it. Apart from the Sven era they have definitely done a good job and moved everything forward across the entire club.Â*

I have every confidence they started this campaign with a clear plan, probably a 3 year plan and won't waver from that. It involves Pearson over the 3 years and says don't over stretch the budget and bankrupt the club like last time.

Hopefully create something that will be good enough to stay up and kick on from there (Swansea). But if we don't it's not a disaster in the long term. If we go down, retain our best players, more or less, take the parachute money and come straight back up stronger (West Brom)

Let's hope it's the first outcome but personally I would take the drop and straight back up than another 10 years in the wilderness.

I think it looks like Pearson is struggling with the step up. As are most of the players.

But I'm confident Pearson will get there. He's proved his ability until now but has got to keep developing his management experience.

I think some of the players will also step up to the level required. Some will, some won't and will be moved on. Time will tell on who.�*

These owners and the directors have proved they can run our football club and progress it. Apart from the Sven era they have definitely done a good job and moved everything forward across the entire club.�*

I have every confidence they started this campaign with a clear plan, probably a 3 year plan and won't waver from that. It involves Pearson over the 3 years and says don't over stretch the budget and bankrupt the club like last time.

Hopefully create something that will be good enough to stay up and kick on from there (Swansea). But if we don't it's not a disaster in the long term. If we go down, retain our best players, more or less, take the parachute money and come straight back up stronger (West Brom)

Let's hope it's the first outcome but personally I would take the drop and straight back up than another 10 years in the wilderness.
New person, or forgotten password? I wonder...

Relegation will cost them a fortune. Even if Pulis spent a fortune, which I don't think he would, it would still be cheap in comparison.
This is a bit of a red herring. With FFP in place, our spending allowances are largely predetermined. If we get a new manager, we'd be eating into our budget for forthcoming seasons, irrespective of which division we're in, by paying off Pearson (and presumably his staff), buying new players that the new manager wants, and getting rid of (paying off) those he doesn't fancy, who are mostly on decent, long-term contracts.

Let's say a new manager came in and brought in just a few new players on Prem contracts, but the new signings didn't work out, and we still went down. Added to the payoffs for players and staff that were no longer required, we'd be hamstrung financially for years, with a different manager who had failed to keep us up, and no guarantee of an immediate return to the big time.

If we kept NP, again, irrespective of which division we end up in, we'd only buy maybe two or three new players in January, as NP knows and believes in his squad, and we'd not have any of the other expenses involved in the massive upheaval of getting in a new manager after a decent period of stability. Big, big risk, IMO.

Pearson has transformed our squad from overpaid shite to an exciting young team. He has been our most successful manager of the past decade. Last season was our most successful in recent history.

Yet he should only get a third of the season? FFS we are one point away from 17th (a position I'm sure we would all be happy finishing) and only a couple of wins away from midtable.

I know he has his flaws, but sweet baby jesus. We wouldn't even be in this league if it wasn't for him. What a bunch of fickle boneheads a lot of you are.

The last time we had a run of form similar to this was at the end of the 12/13 season. Thank god we didn't pull the trigger then.

We wouldn't even be in this league if it wasn't for him. What a bunch of fickle boneheads a lot of you are.

The last time we had a run of form similar to this was at the end of the 12/13 season. Thank god we didn't pull the trigger then.

'Fickle boneheads' is a tad unfair. There is a big difference to falling off at the end of a season and missing out on promotion and being relegated at the first attempt after a ten year absence from the top tier.

Personally I haven't lost all faith with Nigel yet but I trust Vichai and Top to make the correct decision.

The candidates are mouthwatering,****ing idiots.

My opinion is irrelevant. Just thought it needed to be said. Boo, Spion's playlist. Boooooooooooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00