Pearson Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. From what I've seen of Mills, he has the rare modern quality of fearlessly throwing himself in front of a shot or putting his head in where others would shy away. Steve Walsh had that quality but I can't think of a defender we've had since who so clearly displayed it.

His start with us has been patchy. This will partly be down to the pressure of the price tag and being immediately installed as captain and also partly because our back five were all playing in different back fives last season. But he's a very good defender and I think him and NP will get on famously.

Part of the over the top criticism of Mills has been because he does the things that aren't obvious. Bamba is lauded for his side steps and recovery challenges and his pacey toe pokes which often occur as a result of him being caught in possession of out of position in the first place. Mills does the bread and butter defending quietly and efficiently and usually does it very well.

His bravery and timing, in particular, have impressed me when I have seen him. The lunge that got him sent off notwithstanding of course.

He's blood and guts, which as you say is a rare trait and is good to see. Pearson was very similar as a player and will probably have plenty of time for Mills.

Just seen Nigel interviewed on SSN after the official presentation. I must say he looked relaxed and stated he does have funds for January if he needs them, but he intends to get the best out of the players already here and he actually had a smile on his face. I think some of the players will wonder what has hit them after Svens very laid back approach. Hair driers have been ordered.

Just seen Nigel interviewed on SSN after the official presentation. I must say he looked relaxed and stated he does have funds for January if he needs them, but he intends to get the best out of the players already here and he actually had a smile on his face. I think some of the players will wonder what has hit them after Svens very laid back approach. Hair driers have been ordered.

I imagine the training session today was very informative for Pearson. I suspect there was a bit of faffing in sessions past.

I agree. From what I've seen of Mills, he has the rare modern quality of fearlessly throwing himself in front of a shot or putting his head in where others would shy away. Steve Walsh had that quality but I can't think of a defender we've had since who so clearly displayed it.

Walshy hardly had the most impressive start to a City career either.

NP comes across pretty laid back as well.
However, I get the impression when NP gives you telling off, you know you have been.
With Sven, as much as I liked what I saw of the guy, I couldn't imagine him picturising anybody.

My favourite clip so far from all the media today is probably the interview on SSN where he's asked if he's excited to be back and he says "Yeah, don't I look excited? I know I have this reputation for being dour but I am excited." (2nd favourite is Nigel's face/tone when saying hello to Stringer as seen here: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12602_7311846,00.html)

Thought the same. Brilliant stuff. His reaction to Stringer's first question was also quite amusing.

Couple more player tweets:

Nugent "Real buzz around training today! Everybody wanting to impress! #freshstart4everyone"

Danns "really good training session today, tired now tho lol"

can someone remind me what flavour Monster Munch is NP's favourite

The offer for NP wasn't accepted while he was away, that was the new owners being shown round and to be fair there's nothing wrong with that. It wasn't his club it was Milan's and if you've got an overseas interested party wanting to look round and you're wanting to sell you're not going to say...can you hold on a few weeks my manager is on holiday.

Fully agree with you and it's a point I have made on here many times. In my opinion Nigel has realised that at the time he cut off his nose to spite his face. That's why he has been so keen to come back. He made a big mistake but now he's here again and I've seen him smiling in the press conference I couldn't be more pleased.

I don't recall that so, for the record, perhaps you could show where is that record of what Milan said.

I don't know what Milan said, but when Pearson was at Hull he said "When your successor sees both the play-off games at the end of the season and apparently is the first-choice of the incoming consortium, bearing in mind that incoming consortium were being shown around the training ground when I was on holiday and I knew nothing about it, you don’t need a rocket scientist to find out what the process was."

Last edited:
"When your successor apparently is the first-choice of the incoming consortium."

It's hard to believe Sousa was really the first-choice of Top and his dad. It just doesn't make any sense. What would they have known about him? Nigel was doing a good job so why would they want to be rid of him? Also hard to believe they would swallow their pride and grovel to reappoint him.

It's hard to believe Sousa was really the first-choice of Top and his dad. It just doesn't make any sense. What would they have known about him? Nigel was doing a good job so why would they want to be rid of him?

Maybe they wanted someone with a higher profile, someone people in Thailand might have heard of.
Maybe MM had been advising them and he told them Sousa would do a better job.

Also hard to believe they would swallow their pride and grovel to reappoint him.

Why do you think there was grovelling involved?

You don't achieve what they have in business without learning from mistakes. They've obviously realised it was a mistake to let him go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670