Peter Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
SilverFox said:
'IF' this is the left back we are chasing I wonder who the striker will be. MB suggested that they are 'established', however I have a feeling that they might be a relative unknown. Levein seems to be doing a good job at building though so far! Good eye for a bargain!

Its very exciting!

Exciting?!

I just had a little bit of wee come out...........

Have high hopes for this season, but will keep them to myself so I cant get shot down when we finish 12th!

Blaby blue blood said:
Exciting?!

I just had a little bit of wee come out...........

Have high hopes for this season, but will keep them to myself so I cant get shot down when we finish 12th!

:icon_lol: :038: Hahahahaha!

sky sports:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...ilbert+remains+a+Pilgrim&channel=championship

Gilbert remains a Pilgrim

Plymouth Argyle have moved to deny reports that have suggested Peter Gilbert has joined Leicester City.

Speculation had suggested The Foxes had concurred on a deal for the Wales Under-21 international but this has now been dismissed by Plymouth.

Whilst conceding Leicester had made a bid for the player, Plymouth director Damon Lenszner has been quick to put the record straight.

"It is unsettling for the team and the player to hear speculation like that,'' Lenszner told the club's official website.

''There was an offer which was rejected, he is an Argyle player and we want him to remain an Argyle player.

''He is a promising Under-21 international and part of the set up here and he has 12 months left on his contract.

"An offer has been received and rejected.

"He is here in Sweden and will remain in Sweden and will complete the tour with us, so how they can talk about him playing against Boston for them on Sunday is beyond me."

All this and I thought it was the Gilbert The Filbert bloke. . . :redface: :shock: :exclaim:

Well LCFC looks a bit stupid as a result of this! Both the Leicester Mercury, the official site and Sky Sports all suggested the deal was just about done...Very stupid!!

The Sun thought he was on his way. :081:

LEICESTER boss Craig Levein has snapped up Plymouth left-back Peter Gilbert, 21, for £75,000.

Radio Leicester have just reported that Levein expects to tie up the deal within the next day! Is everyone just ignoring what Argyle are saying? THE LAD IS NOT FOR SALE!!

N-O-T F-O-R S-A-L-E!

Lets hope someone gets it now that I have spelt it out!

Defender Peter Gilbert is set to stay with Plymouth Argyle after three unsuccessful bids from Championship rivals Leicester City. Argyle chief executive Michael Dunford has firmly told Leicester not to waste their time making a fourth offer for the Wales Under-21 international.

Leicester were prepared to pay an undisclosed six-figure sum for the promising left-back.

Gilbert's former club, Birmingham City, would have been entitled to a 30 per cent sell-on as part of the deal that took him to Home Park in the summer of 2003.

But Argyle do not need to sell any of their players to raise money and the 21-year-old is very much part of manager Bobby Williamson's plans.

Argyle director Damon Lenszner, who is with the squad on their pre-season tour to Sweden, admitted it had been very unsettling for Gilbert.

Lenszner told Herald Sport: "We received an offer from Leicester and we have rejected it.

"Gilly has another 12 months on his contract and will remain an Argyle player. We value him more than they (Leicester) do and, as far as we are concerned, that's the end of the story."

Behind the scenes, Argyle are seething that Leicester's interest in Gilbert became public.

A report in the Leicester Mercury yesterday revealed City had been chasing Gilbert all summer and that an 'undisclosed fee' had been agreed between the two clubs.

They claimed that Gilbert's move would go through within the next 48 hours, but that now seems highly unlikely.

Gilbert did not play for Argyle when they drew 0-0 against Umea FC in the second game of their pre-season tour to Sweden last night.

The defender has sat out training for the last two days because of a foot injury he suffered in the 9-0 rout of Betsele IF on Tuesday.

However, Williamson had not intended to play Gilbert against Umea even had he been fit.

Gilbert completed all 90 minutes of the match at Betsele and the Pilgrims' boss always planned to play summer signing Rufus Brevett last night.

The speculation about Gilbert has come at a particularly difficult time, with Argyle away on tour.

Lenszner said: "We have got a great group of lads here and the mood is up and, obviously, it's disappointing something like this has happened.

"I personally hope that Gilly shows us in the next 12 months what we all believe his true potential is.

"He's an under-21 international, naturally left-footed and I think he has got a great future ahead of him. And I hope it's at Argyle."

Gilbert travelled with the Argyle squad to Umea last night and Lenszner spoke to him at half-time to tell him about the latest developments.

Williamson said: "Peter Gilbert is a Plymouth Argyle player and, hopefully, he will still be a Plymouth Argyle player when the season starts.

"He has got another year left on his contract and we will see how things develop."

Leicester manager Craig Levein had been hoping to complete the signing of Gilbert before City's pre-season friendly against Boston United on Sunday.

Now Levein will have to look elsewhere as he tries to add a left-back to his squad at the Walkers Stadium.

Gilbert played in both of Argyle's games against Leicester in the Championship last term, a 2-1 away defeat and the 0-0 draw at Home Park on the final day of the season.

He has made a total of 84 league and cup appearances for the Pilgrims and scored two goals.

Gilbert has played seven times for Wales at under-21 international level and was included in the senior squad for a training camp in San Sebastian, Spain, in May.

As near as Durham!

It's all jostling for position Silver. Are you telling me if we offered £500k they wouldn't snap our hands off?

DurhamFox said:
It's all jostling for position Silver. Are you telling me if we offered £500k they wouldn't snap our hands off?

The Sun, :rolleyes:, said we were getting him for £75k, but as you rightly point out we know he is for sale now it is a question of getting the price right. ;)

DurhamFox said:

If we had £500k I'd be in shock!

dunno if anyone has noticed. The Mercury seem pretty certain he is coming. They have a picture of their 32 page city pull out in todays paper. it comes with a world map of all of our players and where they come from, and Peter Gilbert's mug is on it.

good signing IMO, if he comes. If he don't, then the mercury are dumb asses.

foxy said:
dunno if anyone has noticed. The Mercury seem pretty certain he is coming. They have a picture of their 32 page city pull out in todays paper. it comes with a world map of all of our players and where they come from, and Peter Gilbert's mug is on it.

good signing IMO, if he comes. If he don't, then the mercury are dumb asses.

Charge: Mercury are 'dumb asses'

Evidence: Bill Anderson

Case closed!

SilverFox said:
If we had £500k I'd be in shock!

It was just an example Silver, I am sure we won't pay that for him. Even clubs that use the words 'Not For Sale' end up selling 9 times out of 10. Argyle haven't said that and Levein seems pretty confident. As with Gerrbrand the players club are saying we are way out in terms of valuation etc etc. The player is now unsettled though and they will end up accepting much less than their original valuation rather than continuing with a player who doesn't want to be there.

It begs the question, why arent the mercury working more closely with LCFC to get this right?

CL seems hopeful. ;)

BBC Leicester Sport said:
Levein adds a deal to bring in Plymouth Argyle left-back Peter Gilbert is almost complete and he is on the look-out for another striker to complete his summer shopping head of an assault on promotion.

"We are talking to Plymouth about Peter Gilbert. I believed we were just about there but one or two things have come up that we need to clarify. Yes I am looking for a striker so hopefully we will get at least another two players in," says Levein.

Source

fcukcov said:
It begs the question, why arent the mercury working more closely with LCFC to get this right?
I think the point was made earlier in this thread about Bill 'i'm a ****in idiot' anderson

I think Plymouth might just be playing a bit of a game to get some additional money out of us, plus if he is one of their better players then they will be trying to appease there fans by making an attempt to keep him.

Plymouth have signed Rufus Brevett this summer, so it is likely Gilbert could be allowed to move for the right price. IMO we will sign him, but I think he may well have to submit a transfer request, also he only has 12 months to run on his contract so Plymouth will have to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669