Peter Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylon

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk

Leicester City look to have finally landed the left-back they have been chasing with Plymouth's Peter Gilbert set to sign in the next 48 hours.

The 21-year-old arrives for an as-yet undisclosed fee and is set to go straight into the reckoning for Sunday's friendly clash at Boston United.

City manager Craig Levein said: "We have been looking for a new left-back for some time now, since Jordan Stewart left, and we are still actively seeking a striker as well."

Gilbert is Wearside-born but a Welsh Under-21 cap thanks to having a grandmother from Wales.

He played in both clashes against City last season and had been earmarked by Levein weeks ago as a potential recruit for the new season.

But the negotiations took far longer than he expected, denying City the chance to take the defender on last week's tour to Norway.

Now Levein must be relieved to have landed him with four build-up matches still to go, enough time to bed him into the formation and into the City camp in general.

Gilbert started his career as a trainee at Birmingham City but moved to Plymouth in the summer of 2003.

He has since made 78 league appearances for the club and is currently in Sweden with Argyle and played in a 9-0 win over Betsele yesterday.

Levein will now set his sights on a new striker to add to the competition for places.

And there is a possibility that he might be forced to go down the on-loan route if he can not secure a permanent deal.

But Levein is determined to add to the squad before the big kick-off and increase the competition for places throughout the side.

At the moment, City have got David Connolly, Dion Dublin and Mark de Vries vying for the striking roles with Lee Morris hoping to recover from his series of injury problems to be added to that list.

But the City manager feels that is not enough cover to carry into the gruelling Championship season.

The preparations step up a gear again next week because, following the friendly at Boston on Sunday, City taken on Inter Milan at the Walkers Stadium the following day.

interesting, how much cash do we have?

with it being undisclosed its probably a 20p fee that could rise to 50p if we get promoted. who knows???? :102:

I recognise the name I think, but don't know anything about him. Glad we've got a natural left back though, we desperately needed one. I was thinking last night, seeing as Tiatto will be playing narrow in left midfield, then our left back needs to be strong and a natural LB (rather than Nissa for example), because our LB could have a lot of ground to cover..

Hopefully this one is wrapped up soon.

We still have 4 pre-season games left to go? I thought we just had Boston and Inter left to play. Who else is there?

I hate undisclosed transfer fees. I want to know much we're getting and spending!

Some plymouth fans views

"Well if he goes then you have a half decent player.
Age Concern should be delivering the next batch of players to us any day then"

"Congrats, it seems that you have landed one of our best players at a give away price.
He will do well for you, he's a very good prospect for the future, but that's something that we at Home Park don't really understand!"

The Voice From Above said:
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?neverheardofhim

Had you heard of Hughes, Paddy etc... It means nothing.

If Mace was still here think of the possibilities of exploiting the lad there would have been...........his name rhyming with Filbert and all.

I would imagine the club ahve leaked this story to try and kick start the transfer as it looks like Plymouth are dragging their heels.

DurhamFox said:
I would imagine the club ahve leaked this story to try and kick start the transfer as it looks like Plymouth are dragging their heels.
Phone your boyfriend, Tim, up and find out...

Seems a common tactic of ours lately.

Make offer - offer rejected - release story to unsettle player - make slightly improved offer.

'IF' this is the left back we are chasing I wonder who the striker will be. MB suggested that they are 'established', however I have a feeling that they might be a relative unknown. Levein seems to be doing a good job at building though so far! Good eye for a bargain!

Its very exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670