Police speed camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

I was driving home a couple of hours ago, when in the distance i noticed a white van parked on the path. At first i thought it was just a works van parked up like any other you see every day.
This was a 30 zone, and when i glanced at my speed i reckon i was between 32-35. I feel rather uncomfortable about that as i have never been in bother for speeding before.
Does anyone know how it works:102:
Is the camera operational in both directions, or do they check people from the back of the van only:102:
Anyone know what the tolerance is for these type of checks:102: .I always thought you were allowed 10% of the speed limit because of slight variations in speedometers.
A similar thing happened to me driving through Sharnford a year or two ago, but i was never contacted over that.

On a personal note i'm bloody annoyed with this. The police imo should be doing more useful things. Every day i'm sure most of us witness rank bad driving and maniacs on the road, and i wouldn't object to the police going after those. Alternatively though at 8pm in the evening when the area i was driving through is notorious for crime, we should not be paying our police to be sitting in vans trying to rake in extra revenue. Ffs do some proper policing !!!!

The average speed cams really get me. I spend a lot of time looking down to check my speed, often over a long distance, 12 miles on the M1, which IMO is more likely to lead to me crashing than speeding.

I was driving home a couple of hours ago, when in the distance i noticed a white van parked on the path. At first i thought it was just a works van parked up like any other you see every day.
This was a 30 zone, and when i glanced at my speed i reckon i was between 32-35. I feel rather uncomfortable about that as i have never been in bother for speeding before.
Is the camera operational in both directions, or do they check people from the back of the van only:102:
Anyone know what the tolerance is for these type of checks:102: .I always thought you were allowed 10% of the speed limit because of slight variations in speedometers.
A similar thing happened to me driving through Sharnford a year or two ago, but i was never contacted over that.

On a personal note i'm bloody annoyed with this. The police imo should be doing more useful things. Every day i'm sure most of us witness rank bad driving and maniacs on the road, and i wouldn't object to the police going after those. Alternatively though at 8pm in the evening when the area i was driving through is notorious for crime, we should not be paying our police to be sitting in vans trying to rake in extra revenue. Ffs do some proper policing !!!!

You're fecked!

It's people like you who our boys in blue are after, the speed limits are very clear and are there for a reason. Remember speed kills. I would make you take your test again after a two year ban!

You're fecked!

It's people like you who our boys in blue are after, the speed limits are very clear and are there for a reason. Remember speed kills. I would make you take your test again after a two year ban!

A two year ban, thank **** for that i thought they would throw the book at me.:icon_bigg

You should be fine, I used my TomTom to try to "calibrate" my speedo the other day, to get a rough idea how far out it was, and it's about 3 or 4 miles too fast, my missuses Corsa is about the same.

You should be fine, I used my TomTom to try to "calibrate" my speedo the other day, to get a rough idea how far out it was, and it's about 3 or 4 miles too fast, my missuses Corsa is about the same.

If your speedo is 4 m.p.h. out at 30 m.p.h., it is illegal. They are not allowed to over-read by more than 10%. (They are not allowed to under-read at all.)

All speedometers are set that way to prevent the manufacturers from being sued. Imagine if they were 1 or 2 miles per hour the other way.

You should be fine, as people have pointed out your speedo is normally a couple of miles an hour out and according to a police friend they normally give drivers a 10% + 2mph margin of error.

On a different note I was driving back from Cheshire over Christmas and got stuck behind some moron doing 50mph on a country road. After a couple of miles we got to a village where the speed limit went down to 30mph. The funny thing is they didnt even slow down, even though it was obvious it was 30mph, and got caught by a static camera.

I almost had to pull over because I was laughing too much!

Why would you drive painfully slow along fairly straight country roads and then speed through a village?

If your speedo is 4 m.p.h. out at 30 m.p.h., it is illegal. They are not allowed to over-read by more than 10%. (They are not allowed to under-read at all.)

I don't know at 30 I was doing it on the motorway. I didn't know it was on a % scale, I just assumed it would be out consistently across the board.

I recently had the same dilemma. I'll hold my hands and say I broke the law. However, I didn't get done. I must breaked earlier enough.

I am guessing it's the one done by New Parks Boulevard which is hid around a tree and can barely be seen until you are right next to it.

Some cameras work from the rear, some from the front and some can work in both directions.

The Association of Chief Police Officers recommends a leeway of 10% + 2 m.p.h. for speeding offences - 35 m.p.h. in a 30 zone. In practice most cameras are set to trigger at even higher speeds than this to avoid huge deluges of paperwork, but in law there is nothing to stop cameras being set to trigger at anything over 30 m.p.h.

I doubt very much if this vehicle was a police vehicle or that the operator was a police officer. Most areas have so-called Safety Partnerships and it is they, not the police, who run the mobile cameras such as the one that you came across. The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Safety Camera Scheme have a page on their website where they let you know where they intend to put their mobile cameras. They will even send you a weekly email to let you know where they intend to deploy, so there really is no excuse for getting caught.

While so many deaths are caused by road accidents and while speeding is a major contributory factor to road accidents, I am very much in favour of any action to bring speed down.

Some cameras work from the rear, some from the front and some can work in both directions.

The Association of Chief Police Officers recommends a leeway of 10% + 2 m.p.h. for speeding offences - 35 m.p.h. in a 30 zone. In practice most cameras are set to trigger at even higher speeds than this to avoid huge deluges of paperwork, but in law there is nothing to stop cameras being set to trigger at anything over 30 m.p.h.

I doubt very much if this vehicle was a police vehicle or that the operator was a police officer. Most areas have so-called Safety Partnerships and it is they, not the police, who run the mobile cameras such as the one that you came across. The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Safety Camera Scheme have a page on their website where they let you know where they intend to put their mobile cameras. They will even send you a weekly email to let you know where they intend to deploy, so there really is no excuse for getting caught.

While so many deaths are caused by road accidents and while speeding is a major contributory factor to road accidents, I am very much in favour of any action to bring speed down.

Now I've got cruise control it's even less excuse

I am guessing it's the one done by New Parks Boulevard

Not on the list for yesterday, so you could be wrong.
:icon_wink

You should be fine, as people have pointed out your speedo is normally a couple of miles an hour out and according to a police friend they normally give drivers a 10% + 2mph margin of error.

Keep up Boc :)

I used my TomTom to try to "calibrate" my speedo the other day

Not quite sure how that would stand up in court!

Anyway, make sure you are on the flat because if going up or down a hill the TomTom will be out due to the relative speed appearing different from miles up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46