Police speed camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. I thought with the increased volume of traffic and continual roadworks and speed checks it would be impossible. I stand corrected. So what is your top speed on these regular London runs?

i did say not during the day, and my top speed on the M1 is around 150mph

Why is it necessary? it's against the law.

If someone is going 69 mph in one lane and you're in a car with a bigger engine, you make up ground because you're acclerating quicker. So you normally switched lanes, this may mean going 71 mph. Unless you want to break sudden and cause panic. I was taught it's all about the 'smooth' drive and keeping a common pace.

I think your opinion of the motorways in this country is outdated FIF. Come 4pm on the m1, the first two lanes are normally lorries. There's such a variety of ages, types of car, engine capacity on the motorways that there's unwritten rules wrote. As long as it's done in a safe and senisble manner, everyone's fine with it. It's relatively difficult at busy times to get over 80 mph on the motorway.

Last edited:
If someone is going 69 mph in one lane and you're in a car with a bigger engine, you make up ground because you're acclerating quicker. So you normally switched lanes, this may mean going 71 mph. Unless you want to break sudden and cause panic. I was taught it's all about the 'smooth' drive and keeping a common pace.

I think your opinion of the motorways in this country is outdated FIF. Come 4pm on the m1, the first two lanes are normally lorries. There's such a variety of ages, types of car, engine capacity on the motorways that there's unwritten rules wrote. As long as it's done in a safe and senisble manner, everyone's fine with it. It's relatively difficult at busy times to get over 80 mph on the motorway.

I thought it was common practise to need to go over 70?

A survey once found that if everyone in London stuck to the speed limit it would become gridlocked (don't ask me for the source as I can't remember where I read it).

A survey once found that if everyone in London stuck to the speed limit it would become gridlocked (don't ask me for the source as I can't remember where I read it).

they slow the M25 down around Heathrow during the busy periods. That is to keep the traffic flowing

they slow the M25 down around Heathrow during the busy periods. That is to keep the traffic flowing

And not just during the busy periods, I drove back from Gatwick at 2 am on New Year's Day a few years a go and there was a 30 mph speed limit in force because they hadn't taken off the variable speed limit!!

It is in reference to limiting a car to 70 which i believe was being dicussed.

So the kid you hit going at 120mph is really not going to worry whether it was a ford anglia or not. I understand. Must be okay then.

i did say not during the day, and my top speed on the M1 is around 150mph

Then you deserve to be nicked and have your licence removed.

If someone in front of you is going at 69mph, the sensible thing to do would be not to go faster than 69mph. since the speed limit is 70mph you're not really going to lose a lot of time are you?

Sudden breaking from 71mph down to 69mph shouldn't cause too many problems either. Smooth driving and a common pace is actually a load of bollocks though isn't it. The law says you shouldn't drive fatser than 70. If I want a very big TV and all my friends have one am I justified to go and pinch one from a shop without paying for it if I don't have the cash?

How can "unwritten laws" be "wrote"?

My idea of limiting ALL engines to a maximum speed seems to be reinforced by your argument.

That would be because of bad road planning though. the most efficient and economic way would be if every car moved at exactly the same speed and the traffic sytems were set up for it.

If I want a very big TV and all my friends have one am I justified to go and pinch one from a shop without paying for it if I don't have the cash?

That's completely different and you know it is.

I remember recently reading an article about an idea to track the GPS position of your car, and limit the speed of the car depending on whereabouts you are - not sure about that myself.

That's completely different and you know it is.

It's breaking the law.

People see downloading films as a massive crime, nicking TVs as pretty bad, but driving a car faster than is allowed no biggie despite the fact that the first two are pretty unlikely to kill anyone and the latter is. Strnage world we live in. I suppose drinking and driving isn't too bad either.

I remember recently reading an article about an idea to track the GPS position of your car, and limit the speed of the car depending on whereabouts you are - not sure about that myself.

Yeah read that myself, nice idea that'll never work.

complete ban on cars in cities and great public transport is more likely.

My idea of limiting ALL engines to a maximum speed seems to be reinforced by your argument.

It's inpractical. Gear ratio's etc. Hills, loads and accleration. Wind speeds. Blah, Blah.

Germany had 660 fatalities in 2005 on their Autobahns, we had 143 in 2004. Now considering the relative size of each country. There's not a great deal of difference.

Sudden breaking from 71mph down to 69mph shouldn't cause too many problems either. Smooth driving and a common pace is actually a load of bollocks though isn't it. The law says you shouldn't drive fatser than 70.

It's probably harder trying to nail an exact breaking of 2 mph.

The law does give 10% tolerance plus 2 mph on most speed limits. 81 mph = just like the guidance of the Autobahn.

It's inpractical. Gear ratio's etc. Hills, loads and accleration. Wind speeds. Blah, Blah.

Germany had 660 fatalities in 2005 on their Autobahns, we had 143 in 2004. Now considering the relative size of each country. There's not a great deal of difference.

You do seem to be hung up on motorways. Have you never seen people travelling at 70+ on any other roads.

Anyway hills wouldn't be insurmountable - they probably wouldn't even be that much slower with the technology we have today. still I don't care people would be forced to drive more slowly - I'd make it that cars couldn't go faster than 50 and were all water driven. People would then just have to allow more time for travel - it used to take longer and our lives were not significantly worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46