Police speed camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which makes a complete farce of the whole thing.

Could also be interpreted as meaning that their desire is not to harvest money from fines.

Some cameras work from the rear, some from the front and some can work in both directions.

As can some of my favourite actresses.

Not quite sure how that would stand up in court!

Anyway, make sure you are on the flat because if going up or down a hill the TomTom will be out due to the relative speed appearing different from miles up.
Exactly. Your TomTom isn't calibrated either so you're using one inaccurate guage to regulate another one.
The only sure way is to find a police speed check and drive past them at a constant 125mph as I did around Exeter. They very kindly informed me I was averaging 119mph and then went on to explain that their laser 'gun' was similar to the technology used on the shuttle. Doesn't get any more accurate than that.
And before you all get on your high horses, it was thirteen years ago when I was young and foolish, on a long straight clear piece of motorway. Only person who would have been killed was me.

Last edited:
If you speed you take the risk of a fine. People should stop complaining. either drive in the limits or accept the risk.

Last edited:
Which makes a complete farce of the whole thing.

I know what you mean - I always know when there will be a speed camera on Sacheverall Way, Groby because they put up temporary speed camera signs up before hand which give it away every time!

And before you all get on your high horses, it was thirteen years ago when I was young and foolish, on a long straight clear piece of motorway. Only person who would have been killed was me.

True - but it would have had long-lasting effect on the people who had to gather up your body parts.

Some years ago I was on my way to Torpoint for a pre-season friendly. Three matelots had piled themselves up against a road-sign at the bottom of the hill on the A38 approaching Exeter from the west. I saw a copper vomit that day and it made a huge difference in the way I thought about driving and speed.

If you speed you take the risk of a fine. People should stop complaining. either drive in the limits or accept the risk.

I agree, but have to say that the speed limit on the motorways should be higher at least 80mph. Also, although I am going completely off the point, I think lorries shouldnt be allowed out of the slow lane when it is rush hour. The amount of traffic and tail backs that are caused by lorry drivers deciding they need to take over four lorries whilst going up hill is unbelievable!

I agree, but have to say that the speed limit on the motorways should be higher at least 80mph. Also, although I am going completely off the point, I think lorries shouldnt be allowed out of the slow lane when it is rush hour. The amount of traffic and tail backs that are caused by lorry drivers deciding they need to take over four lorries whilst going up hill is unbelievable!

I don't disagree with you but the speed limit is 70mph - I think that the government should bring in a law that any and all traffic on the roads in Britain should have a built in mimit of 70mph (except cop cars). Whilst there is the possibility to speed people will always do it.

When I was a young single man I thought I was immortal too, I remember driving from Leicester - well Junction 21 to the Edgware road in exactly 1 hour. I averaged 100mph down the M1 (about 2am), impossible today and crazy at the time. remove the temptation

I don't disagree with you but the speed limit is 70mph - I think that the government should bring in a law that any and all traffic on the roads in Britain should have a built in mimit of 70mph (except cop cars). Whilst there is the possibility to speed people will always do it.

When I was a young single man I thought I was immortal too, I remember driving from Leicester - well Junction 21 to the Edgware road in exactly 1 hour. I averaged 100mph down the M1 (about 2am), impossible today and crazy at the time. remove the temptation

The problem is there are always going to be situations where a driver may need to go just above 60. If you are overtaking on a country road for instance at 60, a car is approaching in the oncoming lane as you are about to overtake, the other guy speeds up. If you go to push past but are capped at 70 you will die.

I'm not saying that's a safe or legal way to drive, but just capping at 70 won't stop people putting themselves in that situation.

Exactly. Your TomTom isn't calibrated either so you're using one inaccurate guage to regulate another one.
The only sure way is to find a police speed check and drive past them at a constant 125mph as I did around Exeter. They very kindly informed me I was averaging 119mph and then went on to explain that their laser 'gun' was similar to the technology used on the shuttle. Doesn't get any more accurate than that.

When I said calibrate I just meant "having a look to see how different my speedo was to the TomTom, which I had been led to believe was more accurate."

The problem is there are always going to be situations where a driver may need to go just above 60. If you are overtaking on a country road for instance at 60, a car is approaching in the oncoming lane as you are about to overtake, the other guy speeds up. If you go to push past but are capped at 70 you will die.

But as you say by law you shouldn't exceed the limit, the above is no excuse - if it's not safe to pass then you shouldn't pass.

But as you say by law you shouldn't exceed the limit, the above is no excuse - if it's not safe to pass then you shouldn't pass.

I agree you shouldn't, personally I would limit it at 80.

Also limiting to 70 really only solves a minor problem. Speeding on a motorway IMO is not as likely to cause death/damage as speeding on slower roads (though I am open to be corrected here with facts). If limited to 70 you could still drive on 30 roads at 50, or tear down winding country lanes at 70.

I agree you shouldn't, personally I would limit it at 80.

Also limiting to 70 really only solves a minor problem. Speeding on a motorway IMO is not as likely to cause death/damage as speeding on slower roads (though I am open to be corrected here with facts). If limited to 70 you could still drive on 30 roads at 50, or tear down winding country lanes at 70.

I agree - just always seemed ridiculous to me that public highways max is 70 yet even normal cars can go above 130. I think that "city" driving should have "city" cars which cannot go faster than 50 and which are not petrol driven but that isn't going to happen.

I agree - just always seemed ridiculous to me that public highways max is 70 yet even normal cars can go above 130. I think that "city" driving should have "city" cars which cannot go faster than 50 and which are not petrol driven but that isn't going to happen.

It does annoy me on Top Gear and the like when they brag about the fact a car can do 180, or moan when it can only manage 110 etc. We have a guy works here who used to road race (apparantly he has calmed down now) and he keeps on about his new Ford Focus RS he has bought and how fast it is. I asked him the point of it and he just replied "cos it's so fast man".

No it's not impossible at all, maybe not during the day, but then that has always been impossible.
I have done Leicester to London in less than an hour a lot of times.

No it's not impossible at all, maybe not during the day, but then that has always been impossible.
I have done Leicester to London in less than an hour a lot of times.

Fair enough. I thought with the increased volume of traffic and continual roadworks and speed checks it would be impossible. I stand corrected. So what is your top speed on these regular London runs?

If all cars are designed to only go at 70 miles per hour then they will only be designed to stop from 70mph. The current stopping distances in the Highway code are based on a Ford Anglia that had a top speed of 70mph and are ridiculously long compared to what a modern car can stop in. Id like to bet my 140mph car can stop in half the distance a ford anglia can and therefore is surely much safer when travelling at the average speeds used on the roads.

If all cars are designed to only go at 70 miles per hour then they will only be designed to stop from 70mph. The current stopping distances in the Highway code are based on a Ford Anglia that had a top speed of 70mph and are ridiculously long compared to what a modern car can stop in. Id like to bet my 140mph car can stop in half the distance a ford anglia can and therefore is surely much safer when travelling at the average speeds used on the roads.

And the relevance of this in a discussion about breaking the speed limit of 70 is ......?

TBH, isn't it just common practice that on the motorway it's often necessary to go over 70?!?

Why is it necessary? it's against the law.

And the relevance of this in a discussion about breaking the speed limit of 70 is ......?

It is in reference to limiting a car to 70 which i believe was being dicussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46