Police speed camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think only certain forces do this. I know Northamptonshire does because someone close to me ( :icon_wink )is going on one next week. The notice came to me as he was driving my car at the time.

I've never heard of anyone being offered it in Leics. but that doesn't mean they don't of course.

I know two people who have been offered it who live in Leicestershire - one did it, the other didn't.

I think only certain forces do this. I know Northamptonshire does because someone close to me ( :icon_wink )is going on one next week. The notice came to me as he was driving my car at the time.

I've never heard of anyone being offered it in Leics. but that doesn't mean they don't of course.

Mrs H was offered the course in Leicester last year

Said it was a bit embarrassing, but worth it to avoid the three points

Hey FIF, what would you do with the people who drive too slow on the roads.
Today on the M1 there was an old woman who was going no more than 30mph, just as bad as speeding if not worse.

But BG in FIF’s utopia everyone would be doing the same speed and accelerating at exactly the same speed and no crashes would ever happen. So this wouldn’t be a problem!

But BG in FIF’s utopia everyone would be doing the same speed and accelerating at exactly the same speed and no crashes would ever happen. So this wouldn’t be a problem!

there's another one for my list.

People know the law and generally know if they are exceeding the limits by more than 5 mph.

I've never agreed with the "I have to keep looking at my speedo" argument. Generally you should be able to know what your doing with your right foot in relation to one or two glances at your speedo.

That said the speed limit rules are well due a revision. As mentioned by others driving style is a larger factor in road safety over absolute speed. Driving slowly doesn't mean driving safely. Your brain needs a certain level of stimulation to be alert, at low speeds you are more lkely to be less alert. So the safety slogan

"Hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die, hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live."

should read

"Hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die (but a smaller chance of being hit in the first place), hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live (but a greater chance of being hit)."

The problem is everyone is different so a sensible revision of the speeding rules is not an easy exercise.

In summary, everyone on the road is tw*t, except me.

"Hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die, hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live."

should read

"Hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die (but a smaller chance of being hit in the first place), hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live (but a greater chance of being hit)."

eh? How does that work?

If something is coming at you at 40, there is far less chance of getting out of its way and therefore a far greater chance of being hit. This is the same kind of bollocks as "I drive better with a drink inside me".

Because if you are driving at 40 or 30 or 20 or 10 or whatever the figure happens to be for you then your brain is not being stimulated and you are not paying attention to the road you are less likely to brake in the first place.

If you hit someone at a higher speed of course they are more likely to die but if you are driving too slowly to keep your brain stimulated you are more likely to hit someone in the first place.

Extreme example of this is stop start driving in traffic jam, traffic starts then stops someone is cruising along at 10 not paying attention because they think they don't have to and crunch they hit the guy in front. The same principle has been tested at 2 universities 1 in the states and 1 in the UK. Can't remember the universities involved because I read about 3 years ago.

Don’t know how to embed, but speeding saves lives. FACT!

[YOUTUBE]5vfs5-TO5ro[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
eh? How does that work?

If something is coming at you at 40, there is far less chance of getting out of its way and therefore a far greater chance of being hit. This is the same kind of bollocks as "I drive better with a drink inside me".

Actually for the same reason as above people on motorways after having 1 or 2 pints perform better than tired drivers. So on the motorway they do!

However tired drivers perform better in urban conditions than someone with 1 or 2 pints inside them.

Thats from another study conducted by some bods and shown on 5th gear a few years ago.

I hear McLaren are going to make Hamilton drink a few pints before each race.

Because if you are driving at 40 or 30 or 20 or 10 or whatever the figure happens to be for you then your brain is not being stimulated and you are not paying attention to the road you are less likely to brake in the first place.

If you hit someone at a higher speed of course they are more likely to die but if you are driving too slowly to keep your brain stimulated you are more likely to hit someone in the first place.

Extreme example of this is stop start driving in traffic jam, traffic starts then stops someone is cruising along at 10 not paying attention because they think they don't have to and crunch they hit the guy in front. The same principle has been tested at 2 universities 1 in the states and 1 in the UK. Can't remember the universities involved because I read about 3 years ago.

If you can't concentrate unless you're speeding, you simply should not be driving.

If you can't concentrate unless you're speeding, you simply should not be driving.

What if you're pissed up AND speeding ?

Does one balance the other ?

Perhaps some unknown loser students could do a study on that and then present it as gospel ?

Actually for the same reason as above people on motorways after having 1 or 2 pints perform better than tired drivers. So on the motorway they do!

However tired drivers perform better in urban conditions than someone with 1 or 2 pints inside them.

Thats from another study conducted by some bods and shown on 5th gear a few years ago.

How does introducing tired drivers into the discussion help your argument?

You really do have a talent for expounding strange and dangerous theories.

If you are pissed up and speeding, you have to close one eye and that makes things easier.

Good point

Even better if you're eating a Ginsters with one hand, and masturbating with the other

Would wipe out all RTAs in a second

I'm sure I read a report from some University or other that said so

Last edited:
Which eye?

It all depends which way your body is leaning. If you are leaning to the right you shut your right eye.

Have you never driven pissed? It takes all the danger out of driving.

Good point

Even better if you're eating a Ginsters with one hand, and masturbating with the other

Surely the drink would give you the droop though, unless you are pulling the passenger off......:102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46