Portsmouth 5 Leicester City 5 (Academy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaumontfox

2003/04. One game I do remember from that season was the one at Spurs. I think it was a Sunday game and might have been on TV. 3-1 down at half-time, Les Ferdinand got one back soon after the re-start. Stayed like that until about 20 minutes from the end when we had Scowie sent off, but then within the next few minutes both Ben Thatcher and Marcus Bent pegged to put us into a 4-3 lead - it may have been that Bent had only been on the pitch for a few minutes when he scored.

But those were the days of our panicky retreating defence and I don't think anybody was surprised when Jermain Defoe squared it all up again... eeerrr... memory says in injury time, but I won't stir up Jeff's wrath by declaring that as being so.

Yes it was on tv, on a Sunday afternoon(can't remember the exact date, just that it was Teeno's birthday)

I knew they'd equalize....typical of the season!

The other one I recall fondly is the 4-4 at Villa Park a few weeks after Little had pissed off to join them.

I remember walking back to the coach afterwards and some Villa fans were taking the piss, they must've left early and not noticed we had earned ourselves a point in the last few minutes of the game when we were 4-2 down I think it was(David Lowe got the last two didnt he?)

Their faces were a picture when we let them know quite gleefully the match ended as a draw!:081:

Last edited:

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
The other one I recall fondly is the 4-4 at Villa Park a few weeks after Little had pissed off to join them.

I remember walking back to the coach afterwards and some Villa fans were taking the piss, they must've left early and not noticed we had earned ourselves a point in the last few minutes of the game when we were 4-2 down I think it was(David Lowe got the last two didnt he?)

Their faces were a picture when we let them know quite gleefully the match ended as a draw!:081:

From carling.com:

Five of the Best Premier League 4-4 Draws
1) ASTON VILLA vs LEICESTER CITY - 22nd February 1995

Remember this thriller at the Villa? Nope, neither did we. But after digging deep in the archives, we thought we'd restore the memory of this pulsating Midlands derby. It had all gone wrong for Villa - two years earlier they were battling with Manchester United for the league title but Ron Atkinson was now struggling to keep his ageing side in the top flight. Newly-promoted Leicester were themselves battling to maintain their Premier League status - Mark McGhee had recently been appointed after their dismal start to the campaign under Brian Little.

After an hour at Villa Park, the home side were romping to victory thanks to strikes from Dean Saunders, Steve Staunton and Dwight Yorke. The Foxes bit back through Mark Robins but before they could digest, red-haired Tommy Johnson had restored Villa's three-goal cushion and victory looked assured. However, McGhee's side came storming back in the final 12 minutes through Iwan Roberts and a David Lowe brace - the equaliser arriving in stoppage time.

It continues:
Leicester failed to show similar character throughout the rest of the season and went down, 20 points adrift of Villa who finished just above the relegation zone.

... but I don't think we want to talk about that now.

It's funny that you should use the word 'piss' twice in you post because I remember that as a day (and night) when it pissed down with rain. I had been in the IKEA near Walsall earlier in the day when there was such a storm that the rain was battering the roof with such a noise that it seemed that it was likely to break through. I parked my car on waste ground not far from Villa Park and returned afterwards to find that it was completely surrounded by an enormous puddle.

It was a long time before Villa managed to beat us after nicking Brian Little, wasn't it?

Argus

Wow Thanks BOC great informative answer..thought only me an old bugger would remember that far back,seems I'm on a roll then 2 other questions please
1..Under the MON era we went to Man Utd and where beating them 2..0 think Cottee scored one, only for Man Utd to snatch a draw deep into injury time.
2..This one maybe I was dreaming it so here goes...Did we go to Liverpool and win 2..1 breaking their home run of about 80+ games without defeat dont know what year this was or like I said did I dream it...Cheers guys

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
1..Under the MON era we went to Man Utd and where beating them 2..0 think Cottee scored one, only for Man Utd to snatch a draw deep into injury time.

1998. Heskey scored our first goal. Beckham scored the last minute equaliser.

2..This one maybe I was dreaming it so here goes...Did we go to Liverpool and win 2..1 breaking their home run of about 80+ games without defeat dont know what year this was or like I said did I dream it...Cheers guys

I think that was boxing day 1984.

Motown Fox

Wow Thanks BOC great informative answer..thought only me an old bugger would remember that far back,seems I'm on a roll then 2 other questions please
Yes we did go to Liverpool and win 2.-1 breaking their home run going back some time.It wasn't a dream cos I was there!

80/81 Jock Wallace single season in the top flight -late January I think. We travelled up from Manchester on day of the game as spending weekend there with some friends of my Mrs' mother.

Hazzman

I can barely think of us doing any late, late multi-goal comebacks in my era to gain a point or victory.

The other obvious game in the Premiership season was Middlesbrough away. I had been in the cinema all afternoon and rang up my Dad; we told me we were 3-1 up....by the end of the call it was 3-3.

Similarly when we're winning 3-0 at Wolves, went for a meal before going Ice Hockey in Nottingham...errr....we got out of the pub into the car and the rest is history.

Oh yeh and then was that Monday night at Leeds aswell......

Blaarev

Originally Posted by Argus
2..This one maybe I was dreaming it so here goes...Did we go to Liverpool and win 2..1 breaking their home run of about 80+ games without defeat dont know what year this was or like I said did I dream it...Cheers guys[/QUOTE]

January 31th 1981. Same day as I bought Talking Heads' "Remain in Light". Once in a lifetime experience you could say.

Liverpool equalized our 1-0 lead late in the game only for us to snatch the winner a few minutes from time. Can't remember who got the winner though. Alan Young? Jim Melrose? Boc??? Anyway, we were at the bottom of the league, Liverpool at top and as you say hadn't lost at Anfield for 85 games or so. Super day!!

Last edited:

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Liverpool equalized our 1-0 lead late in the game only for us to snatch the winner a few minutes from time. Can't remember who got the winner though. Alan Young? Jim Melrose? Boc???

No, it wasn't me.

pork pie fox

What about the momentous match that was the replayed tie in the League Cup at Forest? After giving them a goal start and then trailing 2-1 going in to the 88th minute, a couple of late goals from Stearman & Clemence made walking out the ground feel a whole lot better.

Going back to the match Boc mentioned earlier in the thread with the 4-4 draw at Spurs, I was at that game too and my favourite memory of it was that it was on the Sunday following Spurs throwing away a 3-0 lead against Keegan's Man City in the cup. At half time we were 3-1 down and the song ringing out was "We're gonna win 4-3", nearly got it spot on!!

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Going back to the match Boc mentioned earlier in the thread with the 4-4 draw at Spurs, I was at that game too and my favourite memory of it was that it was on the Sunday following Spurs throwing away a 3-0 lead against Keegan's Man City in the cup. At half time we were 3-1 down and the song ringing out was "We're gonna win 4-3", nearly got it spot on!!

Their game against ManCity was a 4th round replay and had taken place about two and a half weeks previously. There had been two intervening league matches in both of which Tottenham had scored 4. Our game was the fourth time in a row that they had scored 4. We should have known that we had to score 5 to have a chance of beating them.

H T B

Originally Posted by Argus

January 31th 1981. Same day as I bought Talking Heads' "Remain in Light". Once in a lifetime experience you could say.

Liverpool equalized our 1-0 lead late in the game only for us to snatch the winner a few minutes from time. Can't remember who got the winner though. Alan Young? Jim Melrose? Boc??? Anyway, we were at the bottom of the league, Liverpool at top and as you say hadn't lost at Anfield for 85 games or so. Super day!![/QUOTE]

Also, as we beat them at the beginning of the season, it was the first time they'd had the double over them for along time as well.

It's not God it's only Andy Peake.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670