Post Match: Tottenham 1 v Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had Pearson exercised any sound judgement with team selection then there is no way that we would currently bottom of the table.

How can you possibly know that for sure? I respect your right to have an opinion, but please try not to state it as fact.

Before you write off Nugent, if it wasn't for his introduction at Liverpool and this weekend at Tottenham then we wouldn't have gain results in those games. There's a decent player there, it's just not consistent. I'm hoping Kramaric is effectively his improved replacement.

How can you possibly know that for sure? I respect your right to have an opinion, but please try not to state it as fact.

Earlier in the season Redditch said our squad was the worst in the Prem, even worse than Burnley's. So presumably he's changed his mind about that, as it's now NP's team selections that have made us bottom, rather than the quality of the players. Maybe he'll change his mind about NP by the end of the season.

. He also must have 'obliged' the club by staying behind from the ANC and, in doing so, has put club ahead of country. Top fella.

Brown Nose did a very interesting post of a serious length so I apologise for carping about two sentences - and for wondering why a poster of such erudition is unable to spell "fellow".

Schlupp's injury was seen by an independent examiner.
If he had faked being injured why would that have made him "a top fella" rather than a liar and a cheat.

In Jeff's case he was not born in Ghana and did not grow up there. However, I would presume his Ghanaian parents would be especially proud of him playing for Ghana. He owes them that pride. If Kasper lied to avoid playing for Denmark would that make him a top fellow (sorry fella). When a Scot Sir Alex Ferguson stopped players of his playing for England did those players become "top fellas" .Thank goodness Sir Matt Busby who was also a Scot never stopped Bobby Charlton playing for his country.

Can someone tell me the last time we beat two teams from the top league during an FA Cup run? I've gone back in my head to around the late 80's and can't think of one..(I am losing my memory though)

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying watching Schlupp evolve into a top class player. He's more and more at home in the Premier League.

I didn't expect you of all folk BN to be able for such exaggeration.

He was poor for the first three months of the season. He has no composure, as DD pointed out to me a couple of years ago, if he has time to think it will go over the bar. If you present him with a chance or a cross he has to make where it's a snap decision, he succeeds. As saw in his two chances on Saturday; went past four players with the whole goal to shoot at and it's straight at the keeper. His winner albeit with a stroke of luck was great technical ability to get something on the ball with the ball going cross him. The PL probably suits him this regard due to the quicker nature.

Basically his lack of performance before this season is probably down to NP holding him back and him not getting enough games previous to this season. Schlupp is 22 yet he's played just 84 games in four seasons. This season he has learnt about himself as a footballer and is adjusting. The beauty of Lloyd Dyer was that he was fairly intelligent for a footballer. He knew that skill wise he was restricted yet pace he could not be beaten. Therefore, there was no harm in the knocking past a full-back and bursting onto it. You look Vardy who consistently tries to cut inside despite a pretty woeful first touch for example. He's not accepted that his first touch is terrible, therefore when he receives the ball he should be thinking about his next pass or route.

You are seeing a development in Schlupp. It's confidence and belief as he knows he can get around defenders etc. I just hope it continues.

We have to use utilise a system where we can use those wingers - Schlupp and Mahrez, keep Ulloa in the 18 yard box as he can score (he has a tendency to go after the ball too much) and then also have someone to kill the space in front of the back four (that was our failure against Stoke - Bojan had this pocket of space which Hammond or Cambiasso would have strangled). The problem is that we need a link between attack and midfield (Kramaric or Nugent) as we just simply don't have PL standard forward midfielders. In addition if we have to make one signing this window, it has to be a defender who can distribute. It's a problem as it's effectively either 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 and when it becomes the latter, it creates problems unless we have the momentum of a game.

Well Jeff, I'll assume that you are being at least semi serious:

it's both the weakness of the squad and erratic selections by the manager. I forecast at the start of the season that we would finish between 17th -19th.
Football is a dynamic game and the quality and perfomance of a squad will vary from time to time. We have improved a since Xmas - and we seem to have made two decent signings.

My overall opinion hasn't changed very much. We have too weak a squad to flourish in this league - and it's looking likely that this has been picked up by potential some potential targets. But as say the game is dynamic and Schlupp has come on recently and made a difference; even Albrighton has picked up and hopefully Pearson will give him a chance to provide crosses for Ulloa.

I don't want to crow about the accuracy of my views but I guess everyone will now be delighted if we can beat the odds and reach 17th.... as against some of the more crazy and unrealistic pre season forecasts.

All of of us can be proved wrong, like my conviction that Pearson would never get us promoted... but (unfortunately) I think Ive been as grounded as most in my assessments this season.

Earlier in the season Redditch said our squad was the worst in the Prem, even worse than Burnley's. So presumably he's changed his mind about that, as it's now NP's team selections that have made us bottom, rather than the quality of the players. Maybe he'll change his mind about NP by the end of the season.

Don't forget the recruitment policy. That was shit as well.

I'm amazed how people like Redditch have slipped through the managerial net. It's amazing how people with so much knowledge haven't ended up working in the game. More fool the clubs, I guess :102:

I'm amazed how people like Redditch have slipped through the managerial net. It's amazing how people with so much knowledge haven't ended up working in the game. More fool the clubs, I guess :102:

The problems lie at grass roots level really.

Schlupp's injury was seen by an independent examiner. If he had faked being injured why would that have made him "a top fella" rather than a liar and a cheat.

I look at the situation quite differently.

Schlupp was overlooked for the World Cup squad so it would be a fair assumption that he would have gone to the ANC as a sub at best. Meanwhile, at City, he is a regular player in the Premier League and going from strength to strength.

For his career, there was an injury that could have been been okay for him to travel and watch his Ghana team-mates and maybe even get ten minutes here or there. Alternatively, he could get the treatment here with physios that know him better than anyone and be back playing Premier League games within a couple of weeks.

If Schlupp had any influence over the situation at all, and I'm supposing his did, he made the right call for both him and his club. I doubt whether this necessitated him lying at all.

I didn't expect you of all folk BN to be able for such exaggeration.

Maybe I am over-egging the pudding, so to speak. However, in a season blighted by players failing to up their game, he's a beacon of hope.

Of our entire squad, I can only say that Mahrez, Ulloa, Schlupp, Wasyl and Simpson look like top flight players. And none amongst them especially good ones.

The only one of that group that has clearly 'improved' to that role is Schlupp. As he also came through the ranks, was considered a bright hope as a striker, then faded, then on his way to Man Utd, then a perrenial disappointment, then back as a left midfielder, then a left back, means we've been on a journey with the fellow.

It's nice to see something positive and hopeful. I know he can ruin an excellent opportunity as well as anyone. However, remember his run and cross for the first goal against Man Utd. It was a sign to me of a player that had something if he could only get consistent with it. He's now doing that and appears to be very uncomfortable to play against. It may sound like a lazy comparison, but he does have something of a young Heskey about him. That raw pace, physical strength, the ability to hit the occasional shot/cross of top quality from seemingly nowhere.

Such insight. I'm impressed and humbled. Thank you - I don't deserve it.

Maybe I am over-egging the pudding, so to speak. However, in a season blighted by players failing to up their game, he's a beacon of hope.

Of our entire squad, I can only say that Mahrez, Ulloa, Schlupp, Wasyl and Simpson look like top flight players. And none amongst them especially good ones.

The only one of that group that has clearly 'improved' to that role is Schlupp. As he also came through the ranks, was considered a bright hope as a striker, then faded, then on his way to Man Utd, then a perrenial disappointment, then back as a left midfielder, then a left back, means we've been on a journey with the fellow.

It's nice to see something positive and hopeful. I know he can ruin an excellent opportunity as well as anyone. However, remember his run and cross for the first goal against Man Utd. It was a sign to me of a player that had something if he could only get consistent with it. He's now doing that and appears to be very uncomfortable to play against. It may sound like a lazy comparison, but he does have something of a young Heskey about him. That raw pace, physical strength, the ability to hit the occasional shot/cross of top quality from seemingly nowhere.

Wasn't that Vardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670